Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2019, 01:41 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The BEST lens to learn lens cleaning on...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Last night I inspected a Heilios 44K-4 58mm f/2 lens (in K mount) that I had and found lots of dust/haze inside. So I decided to take it apart and clean all of it's lens elements.

Over the years, I've done CLA jobs on dozens of lenses. I had never taken part one of these cheap Helios lenses before. But I found that this was by far the simplest and easiest lens to take apart of any lens I've ever worked on.

This would be a terrific lens for someone to work on who's wanting to learn the basics of taking a lens apart and cleaning one.

The only tool needed is a spanner wrench. By the way, I used 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the glass lens elements.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 05-06-2020 at 10:47 PM.
09-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I've not disassembled one entirely, just a couple of elements from the back, but I got the same impression.
Mine had some little spots in the bokeh, the kind you see in the same position in every bokeh ball, and I think it's tiny droplets of oil from the aperture.
One more specific thing that goes in the broad category of dust/haze inside.
09-22-2019, 03:09 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Any of the Helios-44 series lenses are great fun and easy enough to work on.

In fact, I'd say the *easiest* lens to completely dismantle, clean and re-lubricate - a full service including lens elements, diaphragm blades and focusing helicoid - is the Industar-50 (and -50-2). I do them for relaxation now... whenever I pick up a bunch of old Soviet gear and it includes an Industar-50, I look forward to bringing it back to life
09-22-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Any of the Helios-44 series lenses are great fun and easy enough to work on.

In fact, I'd say the *easiest* lens to completely dismantle, clean and re-lubricate - a full service including lens elements, diaphragm blades and focusing helicoid - is the Industar-50 (and -50-2). I do them for relaxation now... whenever I pick up a bunch of old Soviet gear and it includes an Industar-50, I look forward to bringing it back to life

I've never tried the Industar-50 or 50-2 lens. How does their rendering compare with the Helios-44 lenses?

09-22-2019, 03:48 PM   #5

Had the strange experience of a Meyer-Optik Görlitz Domiplan 50mm f/2.8 lens coming apart while focusing. The lens was extremely simple being a triplet lens to clean and reassemble and pleasingly much sharper as it was full of large dust particles.
After doing some research the advice seems best to be to clean the rear element of this lens in situ as the rear element is used for the lens focusing calibration.
Not sure if this principle applies to any other Meyer lenses too.

cheers Nick
09-24-2019, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #6
Banned

Yes, they are so simple to dismantle, clean and reassemble. If you are a newbie you can start with them.
09-24-2019, 05:22 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote

I've never tried the Industar-50 or 50-2 lens. How does their rendering compare with the Helios-44 lenses?
It's not quite as characterful, but I really like the rendering - especially from the pre-mid-70s examples, which I've generally found superior to the later versions due to the coatings (the late 1960s / very early 70s examples are lovely).

It's a pretty standard Tessar design, and performs much as you'd expect. It can be coaxed into producing some nice flare effects if you like that sort of thing, and wide open there is the possibility of a little swirling (though not to the same extent as the Helios-44 series)... but otherwise it's just a nice little Tessar.

If you've never owned one, they're worth trying, and very cheap. I've several, and the better ones were attached to Zenit cameras in various states of disrepair.

09-25-2019, 09:55 AM - 3 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This week I picked up a new book on eBay on Exakta Lens repair. It's a bit pricey at $100 but covers many German and some Japanese lenses. It also has allot of info on disassembly and lens cleaning including separating doublets. It's hard to find info like this so I'm glad I got it as I'm primarily an Exakta collector.

10-18-2019, 10:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would say your most expensive one. If you make a mistake, that's a lesson you'll never forget.

10-18-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Last night I inspected a Heilios 44K-4 58mm f/2 lens (in K mount) that I had and found lots of dust/haze inside. So I decided to take it apart and clean all of it's lens elements.

Over the years, I've done CLA jobs on dozens of lenses. I had never taken part one of these cheap Helios lenses before. But I found that this was by far the simplest and easiest lens to take apart of any lens I've ever worked on.

This would be a terrific lens for someone to work on who's wanting to learn the basics of taking a lens apart and cleaning one.

The only tool needed is a spanner wrench. By the way, I used 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the glass lens elements.
I am late to this discussion, but am needing to relube my Helios 44K-4. Is it safe to assume that disassembly to that level is not so easy?

Steve
10-19-2019, 12:08 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am late to this discussion, but am needing to relube my Helios 44K-4. Is it safe to assume that disassembly to that level is not so easy?

Steve
Steve it may be useful to watch Youtube lessons on lens cleaning first hopefully if you have not already done so on this particular lens to get your bearings then I would imagine you would be fine.
Personally have not pulled this particular lens apart have worked on the Domiplan and a Leica Summitar lens after watching a Summaron lens I was told was good for parts being cleaned up and sold for a 400% margin on Gumtree so that sharpened the mind wonderfully
Mark with a pen were things align before you pull each section apart and sometimes counting the number of turns accurately and keeping notes may be necessary with some lenses when dismantling. You should be OK then when re aligning things accurately during reassembly and you will find it is not too difficult or stressful if you have an accurate record of where you are at particularly if you have to leave halfway through the job.
I put everything on a large tray with the lens in the middle with lamps around the tray and sheets of white paper on the tray to keep everything clean and easy to find in the parts in the order they are disassembled with tools outside the tray.
Not sure if this helps am sure other guys will have some important things to consider and enjoy the experience,

cheers Nick
10-19-2019, 12:18 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Preferably a scrap one that’s already being used as a doorstop...
10-19-2019, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

I need to get around to relubing my 44-2 and cleaning the blades. I wish stuff was made with repair-ability in mind still
01-16-2020, 03:54 AM - 3 Likes   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I need to get around to relubing my 44-2 and cleaning the blades. I wish stuff was made with repair-ability in mind still
The YouTube videos by Retro Foto House are what you need. They are outstanding.
01-16-2020, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by KimWood Quote
The YouTube videos by Retro Foto House are what you need. They are outstanding.
His videos are very good indeed. I've relied on a couple of them myself.

He also does some nice adapted lenses... taken from defunct Soviet fixed-lens compact cameras, and mated to other parts and adapters that allow for correct focusing on mirrorless digital cameras. They're very nicely done