Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #1

Pentax lenses on Sony Alpha cameras

I just bought a Sony A6400 mirrorless camera to supplement my Pentax K50.
I have various Pentax K mount lenses and wondered about using them on the new Sony as well.
I believe there is an adapter that enables this?
Has anyone else experienced using their Pentax lenses on a Sony Alpha 6000 series camera?
I would be interested to hear which adapter you bought and what functionality the Pentax lens had on the Sony body.
Thanks

John

09-22-2019, 08:45 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There's good insight into using adapted lenses in this review:
Sony A7 with Pentax Full-frame Glass Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Generally-speaking, if you plan to use DA/D FA lenses, you will want an adapter with an aperture ring. There are plenty of options, from the high-quality Novoflex to the cheaper Fotodiox. As these adapters are purely mechanical, you're essentially paying for the quality of the workmanship. If you plan to use heavier/more expensive lenses, going for a higher-quality adapter would be a good idea IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-23-2019, 01:31 AM   #3

If you're using a lens with an aperture ring then you can pick up a very cheap adaptor, like 20 bucks, since essentially it has no functionality it's just a tube.

In terms of functionality, mirrorless does have some good close focus support via magnification tool, you can set this up as a shortcut or happen automatically as a MF assist.

The one downside for me ergonomically is that adding the adaptor moves the centre of gravity of the lens forward, so it's not going to feel as well balanced as on a Pentax body.
09-23-2019, 11:21 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johngs Quote
I would be interested to hear which adapter you bought and what functionality the Pentax lens had on the Sony body.
I shot a corporate video for a client about three years ago with a pair of Sony A6000 cameras. One camera was fitted with the Sony 16-50 pancake lens which I used on a gimbal for all the acton shots. The other Sony 6000 was used mostly on a tripod with my Pentax FA 77, 43 and 31 lenses for B-roll footage, the interviews and all the closeups of machinery in action. I also used a k-mount Samyang 14mm f2.8. The adapter I used is made by Fotodiox. It is just a hollow tube with no glass elements. The footage produced by the Pentax glass is fantastic. I had a lot of comments from photo and videographer friends who wanted to know what lens I had used. I mostly shot wide open to no more than f2.8. You have to remember that this set up is totally manual. You have to focus and set exposure manually.

I believe there are adapters out there that would allow you to use Pentax lenses that have no aperture ring with the Sony system. Do a search on Amazon or better yet call Fotodix and ask for Jeff. I have been buying from them for years and they guarantee their products and stand behind them. When you are buying adapters, make sure they focus to infinity. I bough some junk ones from ebay that did not focus to infinity. For a few dollars more Fotodix adapters focus to infinity. It is odd that when you put them side-by-side, they look identical but do not function identically. Go figure.