Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2008, 07:30 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Manual Focus Lenses and K100D

I've just got my M42 adapter (flush fit - roxen)and i have a few MF lenses but i am searching answers for a few questions;

I have a k100D BTW..

1- When set to AV mode, the cam seems to be underexposing.. Do you guys experience the same thing.. Any way to overcome this without the EV compansation?

And more interestingly, the underexposure seems to be more apparent with some lenses while less with others..Is this the case or is it a consistent underexposure on all lenses and my untrained eyes are fooling me?

2- Some M42's i have do not have an A/M switch.. So the little aperture pin on the back stays out and i can not set the aperture.. Whats the practical way to deal with this?

3-Sometimes the focus confirm just works fine.. sometimes i fell i got to press the shutter half-way to activate it though i am not sure if its true.. What is the way it works?.. Should i really activate it by pressing (or pressing and holding?) the shutter half-way?

4- I removed the adapter spring to avoid the chance of it getting stuck on the body..But as a result the adapter unscrews when focusing with some lenses.. Not enough friction i guess.. Is there a way other than drilling some small holes on the back of the lens (for the mount pins to catch) to achieve stability?

5- Do you feel that the M42 adapter method should be better than it is now as both M42 and K mount are Pentax mounts.. (I have totally NO experience on Canon but i feel the Canons are easier to use with M42's if you have an AF chip)

6- Have you realised that manual focusing on a dSLR without the aid of a "katz eye" is harder than one expects?.. I really would think again about the MFs if a focus confirm was not available.. Or is it just me?

Last edited by throndor; 10-14-2008 at 07:51 AM.
10-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
I've just got my M42 adapter (flush fit - roxen)and i have a few MF lenses but i am searching answers for a few questions;

I have a k100D BTW..

1- When set to AV mode, the cam seems to be underexposing.. Do you guys experience the same thing.. Any way to overcome this without the EV compansation?

And more interestingly, the underexposure seems to be more apparent with some lenses while less with others..Is this the case or is it a consistent underexposure on all lenses and my untrained eyes are fooling me?
Every lens will react slightly differently. Try M and see if it works better for you using the exposure indicator in the viewfinder
QuoteQuote:
2- Some M42's i have do not have an A/M switch.. So the little aperture pin on the back stays out and i can not set the aperture.. Whats the practical way to deal with this?
I would use superglue and glue the pin up. That way it could be taken off with some nail polish remover (carefully of course)
QuoteQuote:

3-Sometimes the focus confirm just works fine.. sometimes i fell i got to press the shutter half-way to activate it though i am not sure if its true.. What is the way it works?.. Should i really activate it by pressing (or pressing and holding?) the shutter half-way?
The focus confirmation will only appear when the camera is "awake", such as when you half press the shutter release. You can extend the timing in the custom menu - I cannot exactly say where, I have a k10d
QuoteQuote:
4- I removed the adapter spring to avoid the chance of it getting stuck on the body..But as a result the adapter unscrews when focusing with some lenses.. Not enough friction i guess.. Is there a way other than drilling some small holes on the back of the lens (for the mount pins to catch) to achieve stability?

5- Do you feel that the M42 adapter method should be better than it is now as both M42 and K mount are Pentax mounts.. (I have totally NO experience on Canon but i feel the Canons are easier to use with M42's if you have an AF chip)
It is not possible for the camera to include the stop down mechanism, even if Pentax wanted to do it. There is no room in the bayonet mount, and the stop down assembly would be in the way.
QuoteQuote:
6- Have you realised that manual focusing on a dSLR without the aid of a "katz eye" is harder than one expects?.. I really would think again about the MFs if a focus confirm was not available.. Or is it just me?
I have not much problem, but I grew up with only a ground glass screen in the camera to use for focusing. I think you just need to practice until your eye gets used to seeing focus points more clearly. The penta-mirror viewfinder does not help here. A brighter viewfinder is easier (for me at least) to use.
10-14-2008, 02:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by throndor Quote
If you want to know for sure, get yourself an 18% gray card and take pictures of it at all apertures with all your lenses then compare the results.

QuoteQuote:
You need to half-press the shutter to wake up the meter (and with it, the viewfinder display. If there is nothing showing in the viewfinder, then the focus assist doens't work. This is true even if the camera itself is awake in the sense of still displaying stuff on the top LCD or responding to button presses - the meter & viewfinder shut off long before the camera. There is a custom option to control how long the meter stays active.

QuoteQuote:
I didn't go in expecting it to be easy, as I hadn't remembered it being easy on the manual focus camera I learned on 30 years ago, either. It takes practice, and I'm better at it now than I was a couple of years ago. The O-ME53 magnifying eyecup does help. I don't find the focus assist accurate or convenient enough to be very useful.