Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 01:37 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tamron Adaptall 2 400mm f/4 ?

I have seen a Tamron 400mm SP F4 LD (IF) for sale and was wondering if anyone has one, specifically paired up with the Pentax 1.7x converter?

Basically would like to know about IQ etc.

Thanks.

10-02-2019, 05:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have and use one. I shoot with it at F4 and use it for bird photography. I use a Pentax 1.4 converter and that works fine the Pentax 2 converter not so good. I have been pleased with the IQ over the years. And on my K3 it is a F4 600mm lens which is great.
10-02-2019, 07:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one and it's very good. Good sharpness wide open.

However, it doesn't perform well with either of my 1.7x AFA's - the combo consistently front-focuses.

I've used it with the A 2x-L Rear Converter and find the image quality tolerable, however the 400/4's focus ring doesn't have a long enough throw and is not especially damped IMO and therefore making minute adjustments to focus with anything more than a 1.4x TC is difficult.

Last edited by luftfluss; 10-02-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: typo
10-02-2019, 08:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bscott Quote
I have and use one. I shoot with it at F4 and use it for bird photography. I use a Pentax 1.4 converter and that works fine the Pentax 2 converter not so good. I have been pleased with the IQ over the years. And on my K3 it is a F4 600mm lens which is great.
I apologize for chiming in here. I know what you mean, and I'm sure you know what you mean too. Unfortunately, beginners to the hobby latch onto the idea that a 400mm lens "becomes" a 600mm when used on a crop-sensor camera.

Of course, it's a 400mm and will remain so. I suppose the better way to state it is "and the extra magnification I get when used on my K3 is great".

Again, I apologize for being pedantic, but over the years I've come across far too many people horribly confused about equivalency between full-frame and crop sensors. I know one guy who special ordered a 20mm lens, for a crop sensor camera, convinced it would be a wider angle of view than the 18-70mm kit lens he already had - because it was an ultra wide on full frame. He refused to be convinced of his mistake, but when the lens arrived, realized the truth and had to return it.

Then there's those who are convinced that a full frame 300mm zoom "becomes" a 450mm on their camera. Whereas the 300mm zoom designed for a crop sensor doesn't "become" a 450mm. Sometimes you actually have to mount both lenses on their camera and get them to look through and take shots, just to show that a 300mm is a 300mm - no matter which format it is designed to cover.

Their only recourse then is to say that "well, I read on Pentax Forums that......"

10-02-2019, 08:20 AM   #5
Dan
Pentaxian

I have the Tamron 400/4, and while it's a sharp lens I wouldn't recommend using it with the 1.7x converter. I tried that combo and was very dissappointed with the results. The Tamron is reasonably sharp wide open, and VERY sharp stopped down to f/5.6, which is its sharpest aperture. Small focusing errors have a significant effect on sharpness with such a lens, so I like to focus using magnified live view. For this reason it's not a great lens for things like capturing birds in flight.
10-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I recall correctly, the 'SP' was a designation Tamron used for 'special performance' or 'super performance'. Basically their high-end lenses. I don't find this particular lens reviewed here on the forum, but other SP lenses have average user ratings in the 9's, and one has two ratings of 10! If it's an adaptall, it's decades old, so fungus or haze or sticky aperture blades could be an issue to look for.
10-02-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
If I recall correctly, the 'SP' was a designation Tamron used for 'special performance' or 'super performance'. Basically their high-end lenses. I don't find this particular lens reviewed here on the forum, but other SP lenses have average user ratings in the 9's, and one has two ratings of 10! If it's an adaptall, it's decades old, so fungus or haze or sticky aperture blades could be an issue to look for.
No recent reviews, but it's here: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 400mm f/4 LD IF - 65B Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

10-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oops! Forgot Adaptalls had their own section. Sorry.
08-15-2021, 03:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Basically would like to know about IQ etc.
Hereare more tests of the Tamron 400mm F4:
300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - Page 252 - PentaxForums.com
LBA report: Tamron SP 400mm F/4 LD-IF - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
LONG LENS + TC TEST SEQUENCE, PART 1
Unfortunately the images are gone.

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
LONG LENS + TC TEST SEQUENCE, PART 5: MY CONCLUSIONS
  1. The 60-250 with 1.4X does not match the IQ of the 300 with no TC
  2. The 300 + 1.4TC does not match either the 400 Tamron or the 150-450 without a TC
  3. The 150-450 with 1.4X TC seems to be a compatible combination that shows only minor IQ loss and is an acceptable way to get to 630mm4) The 400 f4 Tamron works well with all three TC's
  4. The Tamron 400 + 2XL gives very good results, probably the best combination among those tried for photographing a small bird.
    CAVEAT: This combination is extremely difficult to focus, the slightest touch causes major vibration, and two stops down from wide open the effective aperture is f16. This is a combination for bright light, high ISO and a massive tripod, preferably with double support (lens & camera body)
How about the Tamron 400mm without TC in comparision to DA* 300?

Last edited by angerdan; 08-15-2021 at 04:44 AM.
08-15-2021, 05:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Then there's those who are convinced that a full frame 300mm zoom "becomes" a 450mm on their camera. Whereas the 300mm zoom designed for a crop sensor doesn't "become" a 450mm. Sometimes you actually have to mount both lenses on their camera and get them to look through and take shots, just to show that a 300mm is a 300mm - no matter which format it is designed to cover.
A 24 MP FF cameras with a 600mm lens and a 400mm on an a 24 MP APS-c camera camera take almost exactly the same picture. Hence 400mm APS-c is the same as 600 mm FF.
You're confusing yourself with semantics.
I don't know what's wrong with people, but they start getting into their heads and lose sight of what's important. The image.
Do people think they are being intelligent with this endless confusion? How did this get started and why does it continue?
Inquiring minds want to know.

So just too reiterate. You have a bird off in the bushes and you need a 600mm lens on a full frame. You can get the same image with 400mm on a 24mm lens on a 24 MP APS-c care. Or you can get the same image with a 24 MP 300mm 4/3 image.

We have had polls K-1 and D-FA 100mm and Sigma 70 mm macro on ASP-c and people couldn't all the difference. Because there was almost no difference an what there was was very difficult to detect. 100mm FF was absolutely equivalent to 70 MM APS-c and the voters on the forum proved it.

If your theory doesn't acknowledge that, it's some kind of intellectual gobbledygook divorced from reality by a layer of mental sludge. I mean we're talking actual practice here. Not what's going on inside your head.

I am so tired of the nonsense I'm going to copy this and just cut paste in the future. . 10 years on the forum, twice a year minimum. There must be some website that expounds this theory, that people think they can read and then enlighten the rest of us. If you want to enlighten us, stick to traditional photography texts, not internet bloggers. Please. If you can't find the subject in a traditional text, it's probably internet click bait. The message seems to be if you own a 400mm lens for your APS-c lens, don't expect the same results you'd get from a 600mm FF lens. And that my friends is ignorant hogwash, to be polite. It was a conscious attempt by certain internet bloggers to discredit APS-c and pump everyone up for full frame. They lied, when asked for images demonstrating what they were saying they refused. Once I got my K-1 and could start doing the comparison shots they refused to do I realized that they probably did try and prove it, then withheld results when it didn't go their way. I have absolutely no respect for these people. Devious dishonest and harmful to people's understanding, Yet quoted again and again.

Absolutely, empirically and theoretically, you can take the same image with a 24 MP FF and 600mm and 24 MP APS-c 400 mm lens. End of discussion, full stop. Apologies for wasting my time will be accepted. No one, absolutely no one, has ever suggested lenses change focal length when put on different cameras. That is and always has been a straw man argument. Even if you are otherwise ignorant you can put a 300mm lens on an APS-c and read 300mm on the front of the lens, then put it on an FF, and it still reads 300mm. Miraculously (apparently), it doesn't change. Like really, how dumb do you think we are? If you don't believe me, give it a try. Same with comparative images. Show me. It's easier to deal with actual images than people's weird mental constructions.

Last edited by normhead; 08-15-2021 at 07:06 AM.