Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2019, 02:56 PM   #1

Any one with expereince with many different tilt shift lenses or tilt/shift adapters?

Any one with experience with many different Pentax comptable tilt shift lenses or tilt/shift adapters?

Wouldn't mind your opinions on the best general purpose options.

Thank you.

Last edited by solitudebound; 10-02-2019 at 03:06 PM.
10-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you tried this:

How to Turn Any Lens into a Shift Lens - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com
10-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
What is your intended creative goal?

What is your expectation for image quality?

Steve
10-03-2019, 05:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any one with experience with many different Pentax comptable tilt shift lenses or tilt/shift adapters?
What do you want to know more about the SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift than written in the reviews?
SMC Pentax 28mm F3.5 Shift Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

10-03-2019, 10:27 AM   #5

Original Poster
More to do with the general purpose tilt shift adapters for Pentax k-mount. Canon has a nice t-s adapter for it's smaller lenses and it has a decent 17mm integrated T-S lens. Haven't seen much on this subject for Pentax in many years.
Usage is for general purpose landscape, buildings, e.t.c. The best IQ possible. Kind of expecting to pay 500$+ (CAD) for an adapter so it needs to be worth it. Also i like to do multi exposure at times with T-S as it can give you a kind of 3d feel to the image.
The sensor shift technique is ok but it's rather limited since most of the subjects i snap are outside the sensor shift range and the fact it's the sensor that is moving not the lens so it doesn't really help with paralax.
The Canon offerings work fine but they are far from the IQ of Pentax. No problem using the Canon T-S lens for video but for stills it's not good enough or worth buying a 5dMk4 just for that. I rent one.

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 10:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What is your intended creative goal?

What is your expectation for image quality?

Steve
I explained above.

Last edited by solitudebound; 10-03-2019 at 10:49 AM.
10-03-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

More to do with the general purpose tilt shift adapters for Pentax k-mount. Canon has a nice t-s adapter for it's smaller lenses and it has a decent 17mm integrated T-S lens. Haven't seen much on this subject for Pentax in many years.
Usage is for general purpose landscape, buildings, e.t.c. The best IQ possible. Kind of expecting to pay 500$+ (CAD) for an adapter so it needs to be worth it. Also i like to do multi exposure at times with T-S as it can give you a kind of 3d feel to the image.
The sensor shift technique is ok but it's rather limited since most of the subjects i snap are outside the sensor shift range and the fact it's the sensor that is moving not the lens so it doesn't really help with paralax.
The Canon offerings work fine but they are far from the IQ of Pentax. No problem using the Canon T-S lens for video but for stills it's not good enough or worth buying a 5dMk4 just for that. I rent one.

---------- Post added 10-03-19 at 10:53 AM ----------

I explained above.
OK...given your explanation and the broad range of application, I suspect that an adapter will not address your needs, at least not on a K-mount camera, due to lack of ability to focus past a few meters and inadequate image circle unless used with medium format lenses. The absolute best option for the mix of both architecture and landscape would probably be the Schneider PC-TS Super-Angulon 28mm f/4.5. Unfortunately, this lens is no longer being made, but sometimes pops up used in Pentax-K and other SLR mounts ($$$$).

The Samyang options are OK (Detailed PF Review) and some speak highly of the Ukrainian Arax 35/2.8 T/S. Again, at the high end, price-wise, is the Hartblei 40/4.0 IF TS Superrotator at € 5395...Zeiss optics and amazing movements, but oh, the price.

As noted above, the Pentax-K 28/3.5 Shift is the closest you will come with Asahi or Pentax glass, but no tilt. I would include the Pentax 6x7 75mm shift, but the focal length is limiting for small format.

FWIW, You may have noticed that I have not provided personal experience with any of these products. Several years ago I was pondering similar products and determined that the available options were sub-optimal. My solution was a 4x5 field camera and a scanner. If one wishes direct digital, would benefit from true Scheimpflug, and has very deep pockets a 6x9 Technikardan with digital back is the cat's pajamas.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-03-2019 at 02:33 PM.
10-03-2019, 02:34 PM   #7
Pentaxian

What about the Samyang 24mm f3.5 shift lens?
Samyang 24mm F3.5 ED AS UMC Tilt/Shift Lens Reviews - Samyang Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Rokinon Tilt-Shift 24mm F3.5 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

10-04-2019, 02:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
That's fine and thank you. I do have one of the more recent Lytro cameras which do work but the IQ is rather variable since it tends to process different ranges even if you tell it not to.
I still have my Pentax 645D but it rarely gets any use.

---------- Post added 10-04-19 at 02:37 PM ----------

I had looked at them since they are they are more or less the same lens with different branding. Thanks.

---------- Post added 10-04-19 at 02:49 PM ----------

I had a few samyang 24mm T-S samples sent to me and it seems to do best when using pixelshift. Although the are fringing and aberrations in any mode. It's not much different if at all to the Canon T-S lens. Roughly the same not so clear areas of the lens over all. However it does offer a better option than having to rent the Canon. Although the Canon has far better video.

Last edited by solitudebound; 10-04-2019 at 03:13 PM.