Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 75 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 04:29 PM - 5 Likes   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the silver K's..... in this order 50/1.2 then 30/2.8 then 85/1.8 ( the 85 is good... but not a focal length that suits my world)

02-20-2020, 04:50 PM - 1 Like   #182
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dipping back into this thread, my fully manual Pentax lens collection has grown to include several, with which I will likely never part:

K 17/4.0 Fisheye - just so compact and pretty
Takumar 15/3.5 Aspheric - rare, mint and altogether gorgeous
K 28/2.0 - legendary
K 30/2.8 - unusual focal length and a tiny gem of a lens
Takumar 85/1.8 - another mint collector's item
K 85/1.8 - highly regarded and just lovely

My other two K series lenses (135/2.5 and 200/2.5) do not "spark joy" to quite the same extent, but they do round out the collection nicely
02-20-2020, 05:27 PM - 2 Likes   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

S-M-C Takumar 85mm f/1.8 - the wonderful one

I'd like to mention my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm f/1.8.

If you've never shot with this Tak, you may be missing one of the manual focus world's most delicious lenses. A true joy to handle, this vintage lens has a bit of heft that hints at its robust metal-and-glass construction. Although it dates to the early-mid 1970s, its optical quality is superb, and the combination of focal length and maximum aperture is suitable for a wide variety of subjects, whether it's mounted on a full-frame camera, APS-C, or adapted to a modern mirrorless camera.

I find that shooting with it is a glorious experience. Above all of its positive attributes, its exceptionally smooth and perfectly-damped focus action is the very best that I've experienced. Focusing on my copy is silent, while changing the aperture setting is achieved effortlessly yet positively with a gentle twist. Every time I use it, I wonder how the designers managed to create such a perfectly balanced, finely tuned, and high performing piece of optics. How did they get the focus action so right?

Despite its charms, I don't shoot with it often; I'm always afraid of mishandling it. It's in remarkable mint condition after all these years. But when I do mount it on my camera -- using a genuine Pentax Mount Adapter K, of course -- the photo outing is guaranteed to be enjoyable.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-20-2020 at 08:52 PM.
02-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'd like to mention my Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 85mm f/1.8.
I concur. It is a thing of beauty and a joy forever.

03-03-2020, 03:15 PM - 2 Likes   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Does a FA 43mm f1.9 with a broken screw drive pin count as a manual lens? Because that would be mine.