Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 16-50 from www.cameralensrentals.com a good copy?

I may delete this post but figured I would ask and see. Has anyone rented the DA 16-50 from www.cameralensrentals.com and if so can you confirm it is a good copy? I assume it is but had to ask as I am renting it for a wedding and hate to have an issue. If you prerfer to PM your response I understand. I will email them as well.

10-14-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I may delete this post but figured I would ask and see. Has anyone rented the DA 16-50 from www.cameralensrentals.com and if so can you confirm it is a good copy? I assume it is but had to ask as I am renting it for a wedding and hate to have an issue. If you prerfer to PM your response I understand. I will email them as well.
ha ha ha..

not sure how many copies they have but i just returned it end of last week, so chances are it is going straight to you..

it seemed okay to me, very nice colors and contrast... but focusing on the K1oD was not 100% of the time.... but very sharp when spot on!

ps. i also rented it to cover a wedding!!
10-15-2008, 05:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Heck, I could have met you in Hartford and saved on the shipping to me Thanks for the input and sounds like it will be good to go.
10-15-2008, 08:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Here are the testing shots I took the day I received it... all JPEGs out of the K10D (meaning there was still room for improvements!)

11-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #5
Inactive Account

That looks like a great lens to me
11-10-2008, 01:03 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by cameralensrentals Quote
That looks like a great lens to me
Just a thought. Why not put up a gallery on your website so happy renters can post shots from the lens they have rented.?
11-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Just a thought. Why not put up a gallery on your website so happy renters can post shots from the lens they have rented.?

Great idea! Only thing is, I am not sure how often they sell their lenses... and how many copies they have.. so it could be a hassle to have every single serial number with representative photos..

In any case, Barry / Ilene, if you need some photos I've taken with the 16-50 let me know!

I'd be glad to help you guys! you guys rock!

11-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by BBear Quote
Great idea! Only thing is, I am not sure how often they sell their lenses... and how many copies they have.. so it could be a hassle to have every single serial number with representative photos..

In any case, Barry / Ilene, if you need some photos I've taken with the 16-50 let me know!

I'd be glad to help you guys! you guys rock!
I didn't mean for selling their lenses, I thought it would be good for business, you know, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that.
11-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I didn't mean for selling their lenses, I thought it would be good for business, you know, a picture is worth a thousand words and all that.
nope, what i meant is... they do sell the lenses they rent... so putting a lot of time compiling a gallery for a certain lens serial # could last the entire year or a few weeks, in case they sell quickly.... so the time invested in the gallery could potentially be wasted.
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM   #10

Unless I haven't searched long enough, these folks seem to be the best bet for K-mount lens rentals. Their prices seem very reasonable. Does anyone mind posting their experiences with them?
11-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
They are A++++++ I have rented from them twice and each time it was a pleasure. Even when they had a slight issue with timing getting me something, they bent over backwards to get it corrected. They emial and call if any issues and you can expect quick responses. I recomend them without hesitation and will continue to rent from them. HMM what a glowing review I think a discount is in order kidding. really they are great. Not related or know anyone that works there.
11-20-2008, 09:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will suggest not to rate a lens you rent from them based on other people's uses. They do have multiple lenses of each, so unless you track serial numbers, that's a hit or miss situation. Obviously variables like camera model, calibration, technique, etc will differ from camera to camera and person to person.

I can tell you I rented from them and the lenses were in great shape - so clean they looked like they just got shipped from Pentax direct. And their packaging ensures you will get your rentals in one piece.

I shot 4 weddings and a baptism with a 16-50 and a 50-135 I rented from them and was very happy with the lenses and their performance - but because I shoot with a K10d, I knew I was going to have some trouble focusing in the dark and difficulty with proper auto-focusing and proper focus lock in some situations. These lenses were not going to fix what ails the k10d, but when my K10d did its job, the lenses were stunning - sharp from edge to edge.