Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I also have the Flipside 400 AW. Unlike my Peak Design pack, it comfortably accommodates the DFA150-450 mounted on a body.

It's a really comfortable pack too. I recently took it on a 13km hike in Alaska, with 1200m of rise, and fall.

10-08-2019, 07:51 PM   #17
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

that is one of my three back packs

the " medium sized " one

I think it would work fine

QuoteQuote:
Review Date: February 10, 2019 I can recommend this item: Yes | Price: None indicated | Rating: 9

Pros: size and ability
Cons: chest strap pull off easily

I currently have filled the main compartment with the following:

K 3 II, with battery grip + HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5 - 5.6 ED DC AW telephoto plus
SMC Pentax-DA 50mm F1.8
SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro
Sigma 10-20mm 3.5 DC HSM
HD Pentax-DA 16 - 85mm F3.5-5.6 WR
HD Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW
HD Pentax -DA AF rear converter 1.4 AW
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/lowepro-flipside-400.html#ixzz61p0QR5kM

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-08-2019 at 08:09 PM.
10-14-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought Id update you all on what I went with. I decided on going with the Lowepro 400 flipside Aw 2 . The original version which I suspect many of you using this for your DFA 150-450 have is discontinued. I bought it and loaded it up. The new version lacks a tri pod mount and though I havent been able to compare specs I think theres dimensional differences.

The pack is a decent size and does fit the DFA 150-450 lengthwise with k3. However the depth of the pack just barely fits it with a grip. The real problem though is lens tripod collar and foot. Because of the way the pack is designed the tripod foot sticks right into your back as you wear the pack. The solution would be to rotate the collar to the side but you can not with the type of compartments the bag comes with. At this point I almost sent the bag back to bhphoto but with their 10 day holiday shutdown and my general impatience I decided to customize the padding .I ended up cutting the padding. In doing so I lost 2 compartments but the camera and lens comfortably fits now.Which is the sole purpose I bought it for. Theres a little dead space where the foot is now but I use that for cleaning kit, filters tc etc.

I am able to also fit a decent range of other lenses.
sigma 10-20 lens
tamron f 1.4x tc
pentax FA 50mm macro lens
Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens
pentax F 35-70 lens
pentax M 100mm lens

The bag has a front pouch for some stuff but its not very spacious... design flaw imo.. as if you load it too much it pushes the camera body forward which is already tight with a grip. . They could have made that front pouch more pleated and expandable.

The bag also has a slot for a small tablet or laptop but I doubt I will ever use it.

I spent 8 hours out birding and shooting yesterday and the pack is comfortable enough to wear and served its purpose in its modified state. It works for my needs. My cutting the foam didnt appear to interfere with the bags stability as you can still rotate it around to your front and open the bag to access it . I probably wont do that much though as it kind of hard with any other gear like a camera vest or even a jacket (winter time is approaching.)

I wish the bag had a little depth to it .I dont mind customizing the compartment to meet my needs.

So if you are in the market for a backpack for the Dfa 150-450 with k3 and grip attached.... the Lowepro Flipside 400 Aw 2 may or maynot work for your needs. I would assume other big lens would have the same tripod foot issues.. Oh and one other thing.. if you do need the tablet sleeve understand that its located between your back and the camera.. if you do have a lens with a foot sticking out..its going to be pressing rightinto your laptop or tablet . not a great design imo.

Hth,
Al
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G900V  Photo 

Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-14-2019 at 04:39 AM.
10-14-2019, 04:39 AM   #19
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Thought Id update you all on what I went with. I decided on going with the Lowepro 400 flipside Aw 2 . The original version which I suspect many of you using this for your DFA 150-450 have is discontinued. I bought it and loaded it up. The new version lacks a tri pod mount and though I havent been able to compare specs I think theres dimensional differences.

The pack is a decent size and does fit the DFA 150-450 lengthwise with k3. However the depth of the pack just barely fits it with a grip. The real problem though is lens tripod collar and foot. Because of the way the pack is designed the tripod foot sticks right into your back as you wear the pack. The solution would be to rotate the collar to the side but you can not with the type of compartments the bag comes with. At this point I almost sent the bag back to bhphoto but with their 10 day holiday shutdown and my general impatience I decided to customize the padding .I ended up cutting the padding. In doing so I lost 2 compartments but the camera and lens comfortably fits now.Which is the sole purpose I bought it for. Theres a little dead space where the foot is now but I use that for cleaning kit, filters tc etc.. . . l
when I use my lowepro 400AW, I either position the tripod foot to the side so it is angled or to the front of the pack or removed it completely

An extensive array of AF buttons and switches is placed between the zoom ring and focusing ring. The tripod mount behind the focusing ring can be turned freely when loosened; soft click stops at placed at 90-degree intervals. Furthermore, it is possible to remove the tripod foot entirely. When the foot is removed, only a small stub remains.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Build Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

10-14-2019, 04:59 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
when I use my lowepro 400AW, I either position the tripod foot to the side so it is angled or to the front of the pack or removed it completely

An extensive array of AF buttons and switches is placed between the zoom ring and focusing ring. The tripod mount behind the focusing ring can be turned freely when loosened; soft click stops at placed at 90-degree intervals. Furthermore, it is possible to remove the tripod foot entirely. When the foot is removed, only a small stub remains.

Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6 Review - Build Quality | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Allen if I rotate that foot to the front of the pack it pushes the entire lens up way past any padding .. and rotating it to the side so its sitting on top of the divider didnt work well either as the side dividers are very rigid ..When I cut it theres actually a piece of hard plastic in it . It maybe something different between the old flipside 400 and the new version.

Also question for you, are you keeping a grip on the k3 ?

Al

Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-14-2019 at 05:10 AM.
10-14-2019, 05:01 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Allen if I rotate that foot to the front of the back it pushes the entire lens up way past any padding .. and rotating it to the side so its sitting on top of the divider didnt work well either as the side dividers are very rigid ..When I cut it theres actually a piece of hard plastic in it . It maybe something different between the old flipside 400 and the new version.

Also question for you, are you keeping a grip on the k3 ?

Al
very possible

mine had removable partitions attachable with velcro

have you tried removing the tripod foot and storing it in a separate compartment

yes both my K 3 and K 3 II have the grip

it is a tight fit but I can push/pull so the compartment closes

I think it would benefit the forum if you decide to post a new thread reviewing the new version

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/Backpacks-c146.html
10-14-2019, 05:07 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Removing the tripod foot for me defeats my purpose. I don't want to be fumbling with putting it back on in the field. It would be one more step. I want to be able to take the camera out of the bag, slide it onto my monopod or tripod and be good to go.
al

10-14-2019, 05:18 AM   #23
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Removing the tripod foot for me defeats my purpose. I don't want to be fumbling with putting it back on in the field. It would be one more step. I want to be able to take the camera out of the bag, slide it onto my monopod or tripod and be good to go.
al
I understand completely

my larger back pack has plenty of room but I travel by plane and worry about it fitting into the top bin

Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
10-14-2019, 06:16 AM   #24
Unregistered User

It fits perfectly in a Thinktank "Urban Approach 10". With the foot. Room in the pockets for filters, caps, etc. as well. It's been discontinued, but still available. What I did was to take the lens to a camera store and match it up with stuff in their stock. They'd had the bag I bought heavily discounted due to discontinuation.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-14-2019 at 06:23 AM.
10-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Al
Looks like a good choice!
10-16-2019, 10:21 PM - 1 Like   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I They'd had the bag I bought heavily discounted due to discontinuation.
Great solution and everyone loves a bargain well done