Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2019, 10:39 PM - 1 Like   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Any lens is great for black and white photography. But, I personally would prefer fast lenses with apertures like 2.8. Black and white needs drama and your limited to black, white and shades of gray. Playing with depth of field would make your photo very dramatic.

Ansel Adams and the Group f/64 would probably disagree!

10-16-2019, 12:57 PM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's all a matter of personal opinion... but I usually think that bokeh in black and white doesn't look very appealing. I'd rather see the contrast between lights shadows, and all the details in the midtones, the textures, the patterns, the curves, lines and the shapes... to me that is what black and white is all about. But every person of course is different. Right now a lot of people are drawn to the high-contrast black and white style, which is a very digital-looking type of photography. I find it a bit boring... but we all have different tastes.
10-16-2019, 02:03 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Interestingly I just finished Michael Freeman’s book on black and white photography (which I found very helpful) and though I can’t say for sure, my recollection is that there was not much bokeh to be found in that book.
10-16-2019, 07:45 PM - 1 Like   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know if there is a best lens, all I know is the M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 is a great lens for both b&w and color.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-16-2019, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Actually, I think any sharp lens that has that 3d pop would do well with b&w.
10-16-2019, 11:58 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
Interestingly I just finished Michael Freeman’s book on black and white photography (which I found very helpful) and though I can’t say for sure, my recollection is that there was not much bokeh to be found in that book.

I still have several books from the "film era" and indeed, the emphasis is usually more about "overall sharpness" and "tonal separation" (high acutance) than subject separation, except possibly in portraiture.
10-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #52

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Ansel Adams and the Group f/64 would probably disagree!
Sebastiâo Salgado also shots at f/22 most of the time.

10-19-2019, 11:49 PM   #53
Pentaxian

Try using filters. Red darkens blue, blue darkens red. Green enhance foliage. Filters do help in black and white.
10-20-2019, 12:22 AM - 2 Likes   #54
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
So I'd like to know everyone's favorite lenses to shoot black and white
I guess I'm pretty lucky as B&W is my first love and most of my "Ladies" can be pretty good... if incentivised and motivated correctly.

But then all my "Ladies" are film era lenses, which like you, I definitely think they bring a different feel to the image.

Yes, yes I know that may well be due to poorer optical construction, materials used etc etc... but I say this before any debate gets started on the pros and cons of old against new glass. Modern PP also means most lenses can also produce imagery way above their grade too.

I'm happy with the results I get and to be honest... to date so are my clients, who certainly aren't aware of lens ages.
10-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
A great book. It was an eye-opener for me years ago. Bought it as a paperback book (german version) and once more years later as an ebook. I‘d recommend it without hesitation.
10-20-2019, 08:51 AM   #56
Pentaxian

short answer~the lens you have...…

I prefer color but B&W is a saving grace fer me on poor exposures in most cases....however at times a shot will scream B&W fer me

that industrial shot with 100 macro is amazing! wow!
10-20-2019, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
Any lens is great for black and white photography. But, I personally would prefer fast lenses with apertures like 2.8. Black and white needs drama and your limited to black, white and shades of gray. Playing with depth of field would make your photo very dramatic.
I don't agree. I think a good black and white is determined by mood and use of contrast. Here are some of the favorites of mine.

10-20-2019, 04:44 PM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Whatever floats your boat. Inexpensive Sigma 135mm f2.8 Pantel + K-5iis
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-20-2019, 08:04 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Zombie, I think the concert photo is a particularly good example of what you’re talking about. Nice one!
10-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I don't agree. I think a good black and white is determined by mood and use of contrast. Here are some of the favorites of mine.

Very nice.

Like others, I also used to use black and white to try to save a bad picture. But black and white is so much more than that... your pictures look great.