Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2019, 07:18 AM   #1

Advice on Vivitar 28-200mm f3.5 lens

I have had this lens for decades and it is one of my favorites. Everything still works perfectly except I started to notice that the zoom slides too easily now and I have to be extra careful when focusing to not also change the zoom setting. The zoom will fully extend if pointed down while carrying it.

10-09-2019, 07:28 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, what kind of advice are you looking for?
10-09-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
10-09-2019, 07:52 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is this it ?

Vivitar / Sunagor Macro Focusing 28-200mm f3.5-5.3 (Kobori) Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

10-09-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
That is exactly the issue that I am having with it. Thanks for that. I will probably put a piece of tape for now, but would like to know what the mechanism is that provides the needed friction. I have a Celestron C-90 that was too loose when focusing and it turns out that they use grease to help hold the position, I was wondering if this might be a similar issue where the grease has dried?

---------- Post added 10-09-19 at 11:27 AM ----------

That looks to be the same as mine. The images from mine were superb.
10-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only lens that I've seen with an adjustment for creep is the Pentax-A 70-210/4. Peel back the camera side of the rubber focus grip, tighten the four screws you see in an aluminum ring around the focus/zoom ring, and put the grip back in place when you're happy. Since your lens only just started creeping, there is probably something to tighten, but you may have to guess a little before you find it.
10-09-2019, 04:31 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
The only lens that I've seen with an adjustment for creep is the Pentax-A 70-210/4. Peel back the camera side of the rubber focus grip, tighten the four screws you see in an aluminum ring around the focus/zoom ring, and put the grip back in place when you're happy. Since your lens only just started creeping, there is probably something to tighten, but you may have to guess a little before you find it.
Thanks for that. I like that better than putting electrical tape on it which could become a sticky mess after exposed to warm or hot temperatures. Hopefully it is adjustable.
10-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #8

It really depends on the design of the lens. Some rely on the viscosity of the grease to dampen out the movement - re-greasing is the fix. Some have plastic cams or rollers that wear out or break - replace the parts if you can find them. Some have adjustments. Some have strips of felt or leather that need replacing.

You may be able to find the service sheet or part list for the particular lens on-line. It might give you a clue what needs to be done.

10-10-2019, 06:13 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It really depends on the design of the lens. Some rely on the viscosity of the grease to dampen out the movement - re-greasing is the fix. Some have plastic cams or rollers that wear out or break - replace the parts if you can find them. Some have adjustments. Some have strips of felt or leather that need replacing.

You may be able to find the service sheet or part list for the particular lens on-line. It might give you a clue what needs to be done.
That makes a great deal of sense to me and it sounds like you have some experience concerning this. Getting a detailed list would certainly be a great help, I will search for it. I was able to peel the rubber grip back a little on both ends of the zoom, see photos. Both ends show what appears to be scotch tape and one end has a strip of brass sheet also held in place by the tape.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPad mini 2  Photo