Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

15-30mm Filter Options

I am seriously considering a D-FA 15-30mm for my go to wide angle, and if its a go to lens, I need to use ND filters.

Does anyone have experience with these brands holders and ND filters? Also any recommendations for ND Filters? I generally use 3 stop and 10 stop.

NiSi 150mm holder
Haida
Kase
Lee
Fotodiox

Last edited by y0chang; 10-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
10-10-2019, 10:14 AM - 4 Likes   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
Does anyone have experience with these brands?
Lee 10 stop with this lens.

Expensive but worth it.

Last edited by pschlute; 10-10-2019 at 10:22 AM.
10-10-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think this lens has no filter threads, so you don't have much choice besides the NiSi 150mm holder.
I have 3 Haida ND filter (52mm filter size; 3-, 6- and 10-stops) and I am happy with the results I get, the color cast is not bad (the image gets slighty warmer) and is easily corrected in post.
10-10-2019, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm a big fan of my Haida filters.
Optical glass for a reasonable price.
Here is an example from my 10 stop:

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S2  Photo 
10-10-2019, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very pleased with my Fotodiox setup. Top notch quality and lots of options. Do look at the different bundles of mounts and filters very very carefully though. There is a huge price savings to buy the right kit, albeit still expensive. Also, if you buy the CPL, be aware there is a "cheap" $100 uncoated version that gets bad reviews on flare. I sprung for the $200 multicoated version, which gets good reviews.
10-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I am seriously considering a D-FA 15-30mm for my go to wide angle, and if its a go to lens, I need to use ND filters.

Does anyone have experience with these brands holders and ND filters? Also any recommendations for ND Filters? I generally use 3 stop and 10 stop.

NiSi 150mm holder
Haida
Kase
Lee
Fotodiox
before buing filters try composite mode on Pentax K-1 (if you own this camera, maybe other have that option too).

http://vfl.ru/fotos/f310055228146898.html
10-10-2019, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

Lee filters were traditionnally a high-end brand of filters. But since Chinese brands such as Haida and Nisi have developped into the market, the old brands like Lee and Cokin aren't necessarily the best anymore. Haida (Nano Pro and Red Diamond 150mm) and Cokin XL (Nuance extreme 130mm) are now some of the most color neutral filters available, although Cokin filter holders are easy to use but introduce more vignetting than other brands of filter holders. IMO, Lee have fallen behind, as well as Format Hitech not colors neutral at all. Haida filters are the most color neutral I've found. Filter holder is key to have filters easy to insert and remove, while still having filters sufficiently held in place.

QuoteOriginally posted by Medex Quote
before buing filters try composite mode on Pentax K-1 (if you own this camera, maybe other have that option too).
That's an idea, although without filter at all, one may end-up stacking 200 images to produce a 2 seconds exposure. At least, a few stops of ND is good to have to avoid stacking hundreds of images for one final image.

10-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
That's an idea, although without filter at all, one may end-up stacking 200 images to produce a 2 seconds exposure.
Exactly. I sometimes want a 30+ second exposure.

---------- Post added 10-10-19 at 07:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
But since Chinese brands such as Haida and Nisi have developped into the market, the old brands like Lee and Cokin aren't necessarily the best anymore.
Chinese copies may work out cheaper, yes, if you are willing to sacrifice the quality drop.
10-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've noticed that filter holders for ultra wides come in two different varieties, some are basically giant Lee square filter holders, while others like the Fotodiox use giant screw on filters.

Anyone have experience between the large diameter screw on filter holders vs the square sliding filter holders?
10-10-2019, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Chinese copies may work out cheaper, yes, if you are willing to sacrifice the quality drop.
Hum. I have never used Lee, I've only seen test shot comparison of color neutrality between various brands of ND filters. In the past I used Hoya filters, then Cokin high end series and now Haida. My Cokin filter kit is very color neutral and the glass is top quality, but the Cokin holder is "cheap". Nisi Q holder is pretty solid, but the square plate of the filter holder is not very convenient for inserting and removing filters, they've cut the square plate of the Q filter into a round plates in the new versions of Nisi filter holders. Haida filter are very color neutral (almost as neutral as Cokin Nuance), and the latest general of filters are really top quality. The only thing I don't like on the Haida is the grad filters, I find the gradation not as smooth / homegeneous compared to Cokin. I suppose the manufacturing quality on Lee and Cokin is better, but the Chinese brands are becoming serious competitors, improving all the time.
10-10-2019, 12:07 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed that filter holders for ultra wides come in two different varieties, some are basically giant Lee square filter holders, while others like the Fotodiox use giant screw on filters
Lee 100 and 150 system filters are not square.

Perhaps you are thinking of another brand ?
10-10-2019, 12:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Lee 100 and 150 system filters are not square.

Perhaps you are thinking of another brand ?
The Nisi uses 150mmX150mm square filters,

The lee does as well I thought.

LEE Filters SW150 Mark II Filter System Holder SW150FH B&H Photo

Part the reason why I have been holding off on a 15-30mm is the fact that one of these systems is quite an investment.
10-10-2019, 12:54 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've noticed that filter holders for ultra wides come in two different varieties, some are basically giant Lee square filter holders, while others like the Fotodiox use giant screw on filters.

Anyone have experience between the large diameter screw on filter holders vs the square sliding filter holders?
The Fotodiox kit I purchased supports both filter styles. The core that mounts on to the lens is designed for the square portion of the holder to mount as needed, and you can use a circular filter and the square at the same time. Here's a link to it. BTW, this is a killer price.

FotodioX WonderPana FreeArc Core Unit WDPFA-ES.9SE-KIT-TMR1530
10-10-2019, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I prefer circular filters. The might cause some vignetting but you don't have to worry about light leaks or dust getting between them. I used to have the Haida system and it was inconvenient because of that. Obviously this might not be inconvenient for others.
10-10-2019, 03:08 PM   #15
Pentaxian

There's a new clip-filter option that sits behind the lens. It's a new product for Pentax and I don't know much about it, but similar options have been available to Canon and Nikon users for many years. Clip Filter Series (for PENTAX APS-C / Full-Frame) – STC eShop?OPTICAL CO. LTD.

It's compact, inexpensive because it only needs a small piece of glass, and fits multiple lenses. Depending on your use case it might be awkward to use. ND and astrophotography filters should work okay, but CPL is infeasible because there's no way to rotate it.

Some lenses might extend too far back and interfere with the filter. I don't know about the 15-30. STC does mention that > 200mm might vignette on Pentax full frame.