Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-10-2019, 12:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
shadow around the picture

New here so I will keep it short; I have a Pentax istDs camera with the 18-55MM lens. Awhile back the pictures have all had what looks like a shadow around the corners of the pictures, I am sure it's from the lens as I have cleaned and it still is doing it. I tried a different lens and it didn't do it with it. As you can see in the pics I added it is pretty bad but funny thing is it doesn't do it on every shot.
Can anyone tell me what's going on with this lens?
Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX *ist DS  Photo 
10-10-2019, 12:40 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is vignetting. probably from a hood that is not right for the lens since it is appearing at the wide end.
10-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks like you’ve also got a couple of dust spots on your sensor,so you might want to clean that.
10-10-2019, 12:57 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
It is vignetting. probably from a hood that is not right for the lens since it is appearing at the wide end.
^^^^^THIS^^^^

It could also be from adding a thick filter (e.g., polarizer) or a stack of filters

10-10-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Looks like you’ve also got a couple of dust spots on your sensor,so you might want to clean that.
I noticed those too but only after the original post.
10-10-2019, 01:01 PM   #6
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

first one is at 18mm, second shot at 55mm - definitely a non-OEM hood or filter causing the vignette...
10-10-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got my Sigma 17-70mm lens I bought a rubbery hood that would collapse in three stages. It's fully extended when the lens is at the 70mm end, partially collapsed around 35mm, and collapsed to its last setting at 17mm. You just have to keep the hood out of the field of view.

10-10-2019, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
New here so I will keep it short; I have a Pentax istDs camera with the 18-55MM lens.
The ideal lens hood (albeit price) is the Pentax tulip shaped lens hood:
Pentax PH-RBC 52mm Lens Hood 38766 B&H Photo Video
This hood is faster to attach than a screw-in type and has a small door which helps when using a circular polarizer.

Notice how the corners on the hood are very shallow so that the hood won't cause vignetting when you zoom out at 18mm?

For much less $$, you can get a Sensei tulip shaped hood that screws in, but you have to be careful to orient the hood so that the larger 'petals' are on the top and bottom only.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/843330-REG/sensei_lhsc_52_52mm_screw_on_tulip_lens.html

The only other times I've seen dark corners like this was when using an inexpensive screw-on wide angle adapter lens.
10-10-2019, 01:43 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The only other times I've seen dark corners like this was when using an inexpensive screw-on wide angle adapter lens.
...or a stack of filters on same.

Steve
10-10-2019, 01:53 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...or a stack of filters on same.
Steve
LOL. Yes, the ultimate stack of a UV, skylight, haze, neutral density, AND polarizer, each with their own step up and down rings because each filter is a different diameter, of which are all smaller than the lens diameter.

On the other hand, it could be the empty Pringles can that was a bit too long for the lens used.
10-10-2019, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
On the other hand, it could be the empty Pringles can that was a bit too long for the lens used.
In my case, the other hand usually looks like...ummmm...my hand...

Steve
10-10-2019, 02:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nutz Quote
New here so I will keep it short; I have a Pentax istDs camera with the 18-55MM lens. Awhile back the pictures have all had what looks like a shadow around the corners of the pictures, I am sure it's from the lens as I have cleaned and it still is doing it. I tried a different lens and it didn't do it with it. As you can see in the pics I added it is pretty bad but funny thing is it doesn't do it on every shot.
Thanks

Just by chance, do you happen to also own the 50-200mm lens and have managed to swap the lens hoods?

The fitting is the same and they will mechanically interchange!

For reference, the 50-200mm hood is "PH-RBB 52mm", the hood for the 18-55mm is "PH-RBA 52mm". These are the numbers on the hoods on my lenses, I'd guess the "PH-RBC" quoted above is possibly a later version, what differences there are, if any, I don't know, but brief research suggests the "PH-RBC" is for the "WR" lens and is not interchangeable with the earlier version!
10-10-2019, 03:55 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
The fitting is the same and they will mechanically interchange!
The shape will be wrong, however.

Steve
10-11-2019, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Remove the hood and all the filters and then try adding them one by one. Shoot at the widest focal length (18mm). You will see what adds the vignetting.
10-11-2019, 03:20 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Remove the hood and all the filters and then try adding them one by one. Shoot at the widest focal length (18mm). You will see what adds the vignetting.
+1

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Just by chance, do you happen to also own the 50-200mm lens and have managed to swap the lens hoods?

I didn't know that, but this is definitely something to check if you own both.