Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #1

DA 35mm on K10D Lens EXIF Missing?

I have noticed that images shot with my with my DA 35 on my K10D are missing the lens EXIF metadata. In comparison, the lens EXIF is correct and present in images shot with my DA 21 and my other lenses. Anyone else experience this?

10-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

The DA 35mm lens wasn't in production at the time the K10 was released, so the camera doesn't know about it.
Really.
If we are lucky, Pentax will release a firmware update for the K10 to include more recent lenses.
10-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Doubtful there will ever be a new firmware update though. :-/
10-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lowbit Quote
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Doubtful there will ever be a new firmware update though. :-/
Out of curiosity, does it transmit focal length to the shake reduction or do you have to input the focal length manually?
Thanks

10-15-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Out of curiosity, does it transmit focal length to the shake reduction or do you have to input the focal length manually?
Thanks
The focal length is transmitted and you don't have to enter the focal length. I know that if I have a shot taken with 35mm it isn't likely that I've hit that number with one of my zooms. Although I guess it is possible, just not probable. Plus I can tell by looking what images were taken with the 35mm. I agree it would be nice to have that info specific in the exif. But it isn't my only lens that doesn't report correctly in exif!
10-16-2008, 03:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

no problem with k10

The DA 35mm lens wasn't in production at the time the K10 was released, so the camera doesn't know about it.
Really.
If we are lucky, Pentax will release a firmware update for the K10 to include more recent lenses.
This has nothing to do with the k10. The exif will be ok combined with tthe da35.

The problem is with the program you use to look at the exif. The exif contains a numeric id and the imageviewer program translates this to a textual description, eg da35 macro limited or fa77or ...

Get the free program photome from PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor and you'll be surprised!
10-16-2008, 06:16 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
This has nothing to do with the k10. The exif will be ok combined with tthe da35.

The problem is with the program you use to look at the exif. The exif contains a numeric id and the imageviewer program translates this to a textual description, eg da35 macro limited or fa77or ...

Get the free program photome from PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor and you'll be surprised!
You are right. I would be very surprised.

10-16-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

You are right. I would be very surprised.
Just admit that although you comment in this thread, you really have no clue about how the EXIF mechanism really works. Just checked a da35 jpeg image:

[PhotoME]
PhotoME-Versie: 0.79R16 (Build 853)

Fabrikant: PENTAX Corporation (PENTAX Nederland - Digitale camera's verrekijkers foto)
Camera: PENTAX K10D
Objectief: smc PENTAX-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited
Software: K10D Ver 1.30
10-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks
I get the focal length and 35mm equiv. with no problem. Just not the full marketing name of the lens, smc DA 35mm F2.8 etc. What you see in the lens field. This is using Lightroom 2.
10-16-2008, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lowbit Quote
I get the focal length and 35mm equiv. with no problem. Just not the full marketing name of the lens, smc DA 35mm F2.8 etc. What you see in the lens field. This is using Lightroom 2.
That's because Lightroom does not have an up-to-date translation table to translate the numeric lens-id to a textual representation. It would have been better if Lightroom just showed the numeric id, if it couldn't translate it.
10-16-2008, 07:00 AM   #11

Original Poster
Just admit that although you comment in this thread, you really have no clue about how the EXIF mechanism really works. Just checked a da35 jpeg image:

[PhotoME]

Fabrikant: PENTAX Corporation (PENTAX Nederland - Digitale camera's verrekijkers foto)
That's because Lightroom does not have an up-to-date translation table to translate the numeric lens-id to a textual representation. It would have been better if Lightroom just showed the numeric id, if it couldn't translate it.
Indeed. Thanks for the info. Hopefully I'll see it in a Lightroom update then.
10-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

[PhotoME]

My understanding from the tech people I talk to is that with Pentax the lens is sending a code which the camera compares to a lens ID database.
My answer was based on this.

A bit more info, is that PhotME itself is providing the lens information based on updating it's lens database, and the data is being inserted by your EXIF reader (PhotME), not by the camera when the camera doesn't have that info.
Hope this clarifies things for you

Thanks for the POLITE correction (even if you were mistaken), it's nice when people aren't total a$$holes when they are correcting people's mistakes.
In case English isn't your first language, we call that sarcasm.

Be well

Last edited by Wheatfield; 10-16-2008 at 07:27 AM. Reason: More information provided.
10-16-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

My understanding from the tech people I talk to is that with Pentax the lens is sending a code which the camera compares to a lens ID database.
My answer was based on this.

A bit more info, is that PhotME itself is providing the lens information based on updating it's lens database, and the data is being inserted by your EXIF reader (PhotME), not by the camera when the camera doesn't have that info.
Hope this clarifies things for you

Thanks for the POLITE correction (even if you were mistaken), it's nice when people aren't total a$$holes when they are correcting people's mistakes.
In case English isn't your first language, we call that sarcasm.

Be well
I'm not mistaken, you're simply wrong and being the ...

Your question:

"Out of curiosity, does it transmit focal length to the shake reduction or do you have to input the focal length manually?"

proves this even more to me and probably all the others who are reading this.

Have a nice day and hope you'll be a bit less self confident in your replies in the future if you don't know what you're talking about.
10-16-2008, 12:23 PM   #14
Inactive Account

This thread is better than daytime drama!

<grabs comfy seat up front>

Have at 'er boys!

c[_]
10-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
This thread is better than daytime drama!

<grabs comfy seat up front>

Have at 'er boys!

c[_]
HAR!!
If you read my second post, you will find that what I ended up saying (after a bit of research) is pretty much the same thing as what argumentative boy said.

Apparently I'm still wrong though.

So it goes.

Anyway, both myself and the OP got some good, solid information from another forum we both happen to inhabit, so the question has been dealt with.
Interestingly, it was dealt with in a polite way on an unmoderated forum where people don't have to worry about being brigged for being abusive.