Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 12:13 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
What is it about the 16-45 that you guys like so much?

I haven't even seen one in person yet... but I do keep hearing really good things about it.

I don't see the point of that lens though, when there are options like the Sigma 17-70 (which I have), which covers a wider range, and the DA* 16-50, which is faster, has a bit more range, plus weatherproofing and better IQ (on a good copy)?

What is it about this lens that makes you all like it so much?

10-19-2008, 06:08 AM   #32
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
What is it about the 16-45 that you guys like so much?

The results.

Yes, the 17-70 has more range. the DA* 16-50 (if you get a good copy) is faster with a little more range. And, some people don't like the reverse zoom with full extension at the wide end, although I do like that feature.

The 16-45 produces very good photographs and at f/4 works well for just about all outdoor, and most indoor, photography.

I'd suggest picking up a used one. If you don't like it, you can sell it for just about what you pay for it.

Ed
10-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #33
Veteran Member

My hiking kit set-up, would be the K10 cam with 21 and 70 limited edition lenses. They are without aperture ring, so fairly protected against the environment. Though not sealed like the DA* 16-50/2.8, or possibly upcoming DA* 30/1.4
10-19-2008, 08:53 AM   #34
Site Supporter

I know, I know... it seems foolish perhaps to take the K10d and an expensive camera lens out into the wilderness where all sorts of mishaps could harm them, but this is what I do =)
Well first off, nothing unusual here, a lot of us does it all the time. that is why some started to build weathersealed cameras you know

Right now my best option is either the Sigma 17-70mm (which I think is maybe too large?), the DA 18-50 (which I think doesn't have good enough IQ), or the A 50mm (which I think isn't wide enough)...
Would not be my first choices, but the sigma is a very nice lens from ym experience.

Should I try to grab a DA 14mm, or is that even bigger than the Sigma 17-70? Should I try perhaps the DA 21, which is small, and pretty wide, and pretty sharp too?
The DA21ltd, is a stellar landscape lens, perhaps the finest rendering landscape lens in the penta lineup.
The DA14 is a joy to use as well. but the size difference is definitely with the DA21, especially if you are not used to carry a lot of camera gear in rough terrain.

I'm open to other ideas if you guys are aware of them. I'd like to cheap this relatively inexpensive, if possible...

My trusty old Kodak C340 just doesn't cut it anymore, so I've got to do SOMETHING...

-Tim
An old manual focus primes is not bad at all, for landscapes you have plety of time to focus it. but the Da21ltd would be my first recommendation given what you write.

My own compact extreme hiking setup, btw is a DS, with 2-3 DA limiteds.

10-24-2008, 12:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Duplo did you keep a few of your lenses?

I'm still in awe of your photos- they were one of the reasons I went with Pentax in the first place!

I ended up purchasing a DA* 16-50 from a fellow forum member, which just arrived today. I'm heading out camping (car camping, not backpacking) this weekend to take some test shots- and hopefully to find out that I got a good copy!

Otherwise... I think it's back to the drawing board, with either a 12-24mm, a DA 14, or the DA 21.

I'm so torn between all the options- and people say the Pentax line-up isn't deep... I beg to differ!
10-24-2008, 12:49 AM   #36

Are there issues with having the gear in cold weather? Will the camera/lens be ok just being inside my tent, or do you think I might need to keep them inside my sleeping bag at night?

Anyone have experience with this?
I haven't had any issues with my k100d while hiking/backpacking. I do not find condensation a problem, it's not like it goes from a freezing tent to a hot humid jungle in 2 minutes. I've never kept it in my sleeping bag, not even bellow 32F. I've had great experiences with eneloops in the cold. I don't worry about it, I just put the camera in a holster bag and to the feet it goes.
10-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Duplo did you keep a few of your lenses?

I'm still in awe of your photos- they were one of the reasons I went with Pentax in the first place!

I ended up purchasing a DA* 16-50 from a fellow forum member, which just arrived today. I'm heading out camping (car camping, not backpacking) this weekend to take some test shots- and hopefully to find out that I got a good copy!

Otherwise... I think it's back to the drawing board, with either a 12-24mm, a DA 14, or the DA 21.

I'm so torn between all the options- and people say the Pentax line-up isn't deep... I beg to differ!
Thank you.
That is perhaps one of the finest compliments I have been given in quite a while.
Yep I held on to the DA21, DA40, FA43 and DA70 (have an A24 and sigma 105 macro too) and a DS, which is quite likely to be exchanged for a Km, if I am able to find one body only at a decent price somewhere...
FOr personal shooting I still like the pentax system a lot and when I need ultra compact it is priceless.
QuoteOriginally posted by zorobabel Quote
I haven't had any issues with my k100d while hiking/backpacking. I do not find condensation a problem, it's not like it goes from a freezing tent to a hot humid jungle in 2 minutes. I've never kept it in my sleeping bag, not even bellow 32F. I've had great experiences with eneloops in the cold. I don't worry about it, I just put the camera in a holster bag and to the feet it goes.
No worries about cold weather, my K10D have done -46C for hours and I dare say it worked more reliably than I did at that temperature, especially after a couple of hours
your fine motor skills definitely decrease after a couple of hours in weather like that.
Sure the LCD did get a little slow at that temperature and the batteries froze down fast, but it worked and pulled through.

Last edited by Duplo; 10-24-2008 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Careless spelling