Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-12-2019, 08:03 PM   #1

How much would you be ready to pay for DA* 16-50mm f2.8 (used)?

Good evening all,

I don’t know if I am allowed this type of question, but here it is.

I am looking at a (local) purchase for the above lens. Considering the following facts :
  1. I do not have any weather sealed lens
  2. The SDM may not work (and may require to be converted), as it seemed when I manipulated it
  3. I own a fine copy of Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 (paired with K3, K5ii, K-01 or K10D), should I pass?
So, the big question is “How much do you think this lens is worth (and I should pay for it)?
I have not taken any test shot (with it), and have mixed emotions reading the reviews here.

Your comments will be appreciated...
(Please specify your currency, so I can calculate the conversion)

Thanks in advance.

10-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm in a similar situation as yours, in that I own the Pentax DA 17-70/4, which is not weather sealed. When I want to shoot in the rain/snow, I simply drape a towel or piece of plastic over it. And if the precipitation is very light, I don't worry about it all.

So I would pass on the 16-50/2.8.
10-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the DA 16-50 new back in 2008. Except for the heavy CA, it's a great lens. I've hauled mine to Europe and back a few times, and have used it in some rather awful weather, so I can attest to the value of weathersealing. I wouldn't let SDM failure derail you, it works just fine as a screw mount lens. That said, I can't comment on it compared to the Sigma 17-70, as I don't have any experience with that lens. As for value, looking at the marketplace, the recent range of sold lenses appears to be in the $250 - $275 range for this lens. Personally, for that price, it's well worth it.
10-12-2019, 08:37 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Value depends on the individual lens. I recently paid $300 for a Mint- DA*16~50/2.8 screwdrive-converted with all original materials. I probably paid 10% too much, and this particular lens is as good as it gets. I paid $350 for a 50-135 that has functioning SDM but no peripherals.

10-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have a fine copy of that Sigma Contemporary standard zoom, I honestly doubt that you would see all that much improvement in the IQ department with the Pentax. So, if you like the images you get from your Contemporary, I'd say stick with it.

With its SDM woes and only-just-DA*-territory IQ, the pricey DA*16-50 has never earned a permanent place on my personal wishlist, I'm afraid. Maybe the HD DA16-85 would be a lens for you? It's WR and optically superior to the DA*16-50.
10-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

It really depends on how much you need or want both weather sealing and f2.8 constant aperture in a same lens... Since you already have the Sigma, it's basically just a matter of needing/wanting weather sealing. So, the main question to ask is how much are you willing to pay for this feature ? If it's only a matter of "nice to have but not really needed", then it's probably better to pass since your need is already covered by the Sigma.

If you absolutely need WR, then it might be an option. FWIW, a 16-50 with a working SDM is worth up to 600 US$ on B&H. Which is the most you should pay for a used lens bought in a store with some guarantee. If the lens is bought from an individual, the price should be lower. On the other hand, there's actually a screwdrive converted one on the McBain website for 340 $CAN (about 260 US$), which represent the ceiling for a screwdrive one.

The one you're looking at seemed between both of these. If you're not sure about the SDM, I would not pay much more than one that has been screwdrive converted. The reasoning being that if the SDM is working about fine, it would be a really good deal. If it doesn't work properly and the lens need to be converted, at least you would have paid about "market price" and still have the benefit of weather sealing. The worst case being that you'll convert the lens and sell it as a screwdrive converted one without losoong too much money.

Hope this helps!
10-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
On the auction sites, 16-50s with working SDM are selling for around $300-350. Don’t pay more than that.

The only real value got you will be WR usage.

10-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mhoule418 Quote
Good evening all,

I don’t know if I am allowed this type of question, but here it is.

I am looking at a (local) purchase for the above lens. Considering the following facts :
  1. I do not have any weather sealed lens
  2. The SDM may not work (and may require to be converted), as it seemed when I manipulated it
  3. I own a fine copy of Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 (paired with K3, K5ii, K-01 or K10D), should I pass?
So, the big question is “How much do you think this lens is worth (and I should pay for it)?
I have not taken any test shot (with it), and have mixed emotions reading the reviews here.

Your comments will be appreciated...
(Please specify your currency, so I can calculate the conversion)

Thanks in advance.
I've owned quite a few zoom lenses and the 16-50 da* is a very good lens. Maybe my copy is just a better one then some others. Sharp, great colors. I would never go back to the 17-70 sdm. I also wouldn't sell it for some of the low prices on this forum.
10-13-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess I'm one of those who had a 'good' copy because I always thought it was an excellent lens. Well worth what I paid for it new. Used with unknown SDM $250 - 350 is the going price range.

My suggestion would be to go to ebay and search on that lens, filtered for sold listings. Take that to your seller as your starting point. And remember with an ebay sale they need to pay the fees there.
10-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Overall I am very pleased with mine, but there are a couple caveats. I purchased it new from B&H, and it was the third try. The first was decentered and the second one had wacky SDM performance, and since B&H is great on swapping out things like this, it wasn't a problem to get to a good copy. I bought the lens in 2016, and this past summer it started to exhibit the "sleepiness" of SDM failures, where it is slow to respond at first and may need a manual assist to get to infinity focus, but after a few successful attempts, it goes about it's merry way like nothing ever happened. I would say there was a correlation of decreased use and this occurring. I picked up the DA 20-40 Limited this past spring, and the 16-50 ended up sitting several months without being touched. I'm not freaking out though, because if it fully tanks, I'll just convert it to screw drive, and still have a great lens. Bottom line is I would buy a used copy, but for the least I could. The above ceilings of $300-$350 are probably good to go by and end up in the right place when all done.

One other observation given what you have in hand. If you don't mind waiting and spending more money, I believe I saw a thread the other day that was citing some new musings on a redone DA* in this range being announced sooner than later. Perhaps little more than wishful thinking, but something to be aware of.
10-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bought my DA * 16-50mm on the Dutch marketplace for 200 Euro. The lens was already converted to screw drive
This lens is much better as the reviews here show
10-13-2019, 10:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all

Good afternoon everyone,

The available lens is in the given price range you suggested.

After reading all your very good points, I would like to thank you.

Revisiting my so called “needs”, I realize that I was looking for better IQ mostly.
I would gain
  • constant aperture 2.8 through out the whole focal lengths
  • weather sealing (which will just be “nice to have” for what I do)

I would loose (compared to Sigma 17-70)
  • 50-70mm less reach (as my style seems to be longer than shorter)
  • $400+ CDN less in my wallet (plus accessories costs, like filters)

As I was already leaning a bit on the “pass my turn” side, you helped me to clear it off my mind... (for now).

Once again, thanks for sharing your ways of “looking through the glass”.
10-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you own a good copy of the Sigma 17-50 2.8. I don't think you will see any improvement with the Pentax. In fact the Sigma seems to be a better lens according to the reviews and my copy seems a bit better than my old 16-50.
10-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's one in the marketplace right now for $200. You'd have to get it shipped to Canada. Already converted to screwdrive. I thought about it a lot at that price. For me, the lens is too big and heavy. But $200!
10-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

In case you really really want a pentax branded lens instead of a sigma, maybe wait for few more months : it is plausible that 16-50 will be renewed sooner than later