Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA35 Macro, only sharp at close focus?

Hello All,

when I bought my DA35 Macro, I thought I'd use it also as a standard lens.

Today, I was very disappointed with the sharpness at a distance.

Could it be that it is designed for close focusing only?

-Gian

10-13-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have you looked at the " in depth " review?

QuoteQuote:
Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Review
Introduction
The SMC Pentax-DA 35mm f/2.8 Macro Limited is a fixed focal length lens. The lens is relatively compact and provides one-to-one magnification in a normal focal. The DA Limited lenses are constructed of high grade aluminum and feature quality optics with tight tolerances.

Read more at: Pentax-DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
QuoteQuote:
Image Quality
The image quality of the DA 35mm Limited provides excellent contrast and sharpness from its minimum focusing distance to infinity. The colors and details captured are colorful and vivid. The captured images are almost lifelike with an intensity that seems to go beyond what the natural eye can capture. The lens seems to enhance the subject regardless of the type of picture; landscapes, people, objects, and even casual shots look better taken with the lens. All tests, in this article, were performed using the Pentax K7 camera.

Sharpness
The lens produces very good center sharpness from f/2.8 and good edge sharpness. The DA 35mm really shines once the lens is stop down to f/5.6 or higher. At f5.6, the center sharpness improves to excellent and the edge sharpness is really nice. Each picture was shot with the camera on a tripod, at ISO 100, with SR turned off and the mirror lock-up activated. The shutter was triggered with a remote.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-35mm-f28-macro/image-quality.html#ixzz62HAIThdk
QuoteQuote:
Conclusion
The DA 35mm is a unique prime lens. The lens is a very sharp, reasonably fast, normal lens that also allows the user to capture 1/1 images with no special equipment. The lens has a remarkable build quality. The DA 35mm feels well-made and precise as you focus your image. It provides great bokeh, for the most part, throughout its range. The only flaw that the lens has, in my opinion, is in regards to its autofocus. I am not sure if it can be called a flaw, but it certainly is a quirk. I have learned to live with this particular quirk because the lens is really superb in all other aspects. I always carry this lens when I travel and have found it to be a valuable addition to my photographs.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-da-35mm-f28-macro/conclusion.html#ixzz62HAwPFHr

or the user reviews

https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DA-35mm-F2.8-Limited-Macro-Lens.html
10-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Gian Quote
Hello All,

-Gian
post a photo
10-13-2019, 03:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello All,

-Gian
No, it should be sharp here, there, and everywhere.

10-13-2019, 04:10 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Da 35 macro is a very sharp lens. It is not he best at focusing though. Make sure your lens is not front or back focusing.
10-13-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can't comment on the DA 35, but the HD DA 35 Macro was unbelievably sharp everywhere.
10-13-2019, 04:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello All,

-Gian
I have the same lens and it is very sharp at a distance. In fact it is one of my favorite Landscape lenses for that very reason.
10-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
post a photo
ditto - with EXIF data attached...

10-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First is a SOOC JPEG (focus on the horse), down-sized for forum display. Second is a 100% crop from the original SOOC JPEG - no other processing.

Philip
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
10-13-2019, 05:06 PM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

My copy of the lens is less sharp toward the edges at long distances. Center sharpness is, however, extremely sharp at all distances. So in the image below of fall color across the Klamath River, center sharpness is about as good as any lens I've ever used. There is a bit of a drop off toward the edges, although they are still reasonable sharp. (It's more noticable on 24 MP sensors combined with pixel shift.) That seems to be common among DA Limited lenses (or at least the three I own, the DA 35, DA 21, and DA 15). The DA 15 is the worst offender in this regard.

10-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
. . . . It is not he best at focusing though. Make sure your lens is not front or back focusing.
here is an article for the OP to review

QuoteQuote:
Fixing Front and Back Focus
Introduction
With the advent of digital photography we have become much more critical about focus accuracy. We're now able to enlarge our photos to 100% size on our monitors and look at them pixel by pixel. Inaccuracies in focus and other flaws which no one noticed or cared about in the film era are now blatantly visible.

Read more at: Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles
10-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My DA 35 Macro is very sharp, both close up and distance. I use it for landscape a lot. Have you checked the fine focus adjustment?
10-14-2019, 12:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A correctly-focussed shot with the smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited should give you a heck of rich, crisp detail even at medium to large distances. Notice that overall sharpness peaks fairly early with this lens, at about F4, F5, or F5.6, with diffraction taking a noticeable toll by F16. There may be some sharpness fall-off towards the corners of the frame, more so perhaps than it its FA F2 cousin, but a good copy of the Limited should be a perfectly viable general-purpose standard lens.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 12-27-2019 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Embedded links
10-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are two clips of the same image, sized at 1:1.

Nothing is really sharp, neither close or distant.

EXIF shows 5.6/640, so I would tend to rule out camera shake. SR was off.

Sometime, I do have excellent results, with this lens, sometimes I am really disappointed.

I am very confused.

p.s. I notice that the uploaded images show a much smaller size than the JPEGs on my desktop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
10-14-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are two clips of the same image, sized at 1:1.

Nothing is really sharp, neither close or distant.

EXIF shows 5.6/640, so I would tend to rule out camera shake. SR was off.

Sometime, I do have excellent results, with this lens, sometimes I am really disappointed.

I am very confused.

p.s. I notice that the uploaded images show a much smaller size than the JPEGs on my desktop.
It just looks out of focus. If these are 1:1 crops of a f5.6 shot and these are your subjects AND you used the OVF to nail focus then I suspect the AF/OVF let you down and focus was not obtained.

First thing I would do is suggest to get right out of OVF for testing and start doing some Live View test shots, both manually focusing and magnifying in to nail focus and then also some simple Live View AF tests.

Once we can confirm the lens is indeed performing well and is sharp in that mode you can start to trouble shoot the OVF/AF. Have you done any focus charts or Fine Adjustments to the lens in the camera body it is connected to? It should be noted that Fine Adjustments are only relevant to OVF/AF shooting and not passed on to any AF in Live View mode.
I have needed +8 on my K-1 with one of my FA ltds, otherwise I run the risk of a soft shot like yours also using OVF AF with a '0' for Fine Adjustments.