Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 31 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Their problems don't end there, LF … this obsession with trying to compete by rigging everything in algorithms rather than real optics leads to this …

X-Trans: The Promise and the Problem

The GFX series shows they know it doesn't work!
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
I've first hand experience of the waxy skin with an X-E1.

Fujifilm also apply a high contrast curve that reviewers seem to love but loses detail.

I am still not convinced about X-trans.

They are nice looking cameras though.
I started reading but had to skip the rest. I understand the logic of the first part, with greater distances between red and green pixels leading to greater colour guesswork but the photos he shows as examples of waxy skin look absolutely fine and don't demonstrate any problem at all. All he seems to demonstrate is that Fuji have understood the challenge of their alternative colour filter array and have overcome it admirably.

I agree about the high contrast though, but it's easy to tone that down in the jpeg settings.

---------- Post added 18-10-19 at 05:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
An interesting idea but how would it be done on a lens so small? I can imagine an implementation that is reminiscent of an aperture ring on classic film lenses. A rotating ring near the base of the lens that rotates and adjusts the focus limiter from full, infinity to 0.3 meters, and 0.3 to 0.139 meters. Maybe even include a focus lock at one end to lock focus at the current position disengage the screwdrive or focus motor. Of course that means that they'd no longer be able to include the nameplate at its current spot at the base the lens body.
Just add a switch the same as is done for many other macro lenses.

10-18-2019, 10:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I pretty much agree with OP. I have all the SMC DA Limited primes, as well as FA Limited trio (MIJ). If I had to only wish for three things I would say:

DA 15mm - Corner sharpness at wide apertures
DA 21mm -
DA 35mm - Focus limiter
DA 40mm -
DA 70mm -
All - premium rear cap

I also shoot with Fuji recently, and their F2 WR series (16/23/35/50) are somewhat similar to the DA Limiteds -> Compact primes for APS-C. Where the Pentax DA all accept 49mm filters the Fujis are using 49, 43, 43, 46 mm.. not as coherent as Pentax.
10-18-2019, 09:22 PM - 1 Like   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Their problems don't end there, LF … this obsession with trying to compete by rigging everything in algorithms rather than real optics leads to this …

X-Trans: The Promise and the Problem

The GFX series shows they know it doesn't work!
So we're shifting from lenses to sensors now, eh?

X-Trans certainly isn't perfect and there has been a hard X-Trans marketing push since its inception, but X-Trans is certainly no worse than Bayer. Some folks think it is because to them Bayer is the "default", but if a person had only used X-Trans sensor equipped cameras suddenly had to use a Bayer sensor camera that person would perhaps notice a new set of compromises. Note that many of the issues with X-Trans have been linked specifically to Adobe products, while folks using Capture One and Iridient as their RAW developers seem to be mostly happy.

As to why Fuji didn't use X-Trans in the GFX series - when the GFX 50S was released, X-Trans sensors were not capable of supporting the video capability Fuji desired. Also, the X-Trans filter + necessary computational hardware would have increased the cost of the camera significantly. A medium format street-shooting camera with decent video is a unique enough product that Fuji didn't need to attempt to shoehorn a pricey sensor into the body.

Anyway, aren't we supposed to be discussing the lovely DA Limiteds? Here's most of my collection, astride the bazooka-esque Pentax K 135-600...

10-19-2019, 04:24 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great Scott! Is that a Browning .30-‘06? I’ve never seen a zoom lens that big!

11-01-2019, 10:41 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote

.......astride the bazooka-esque Pentax K 135-600...
The future of the limited lenses?