Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 11:17 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I still like the fact that the power zoom function makes it easy to do those slow shutter speed zooms without me twisting at a variable rate, limited use but effective
In fairness, that's true - I'd forgotten that one

10-17-2019, 12:02 AM   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
On a trip to Japan I came across a used (and in excellent shape) FA 100-300 which I gleefully bought for just $23.00 Cdn dollars. It works as its supposed to, and gives me pics sharper than I expected.
Picked one up two weeks ago as well, for $20 Canadian. The silver version. Its flimsy but I was surprised by the few test shots I took. At 300mm, needed to go down 1.5 stops from max to get sharper images.
10-17-2019, 12:59 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The original PZ zooms get an undeserved bad rating. Both the 28-80 & 28-105 got better than average reviews when released (the 28-105 was better). These lenses were sold for their full price separately from the bodies. Mechanically they're clunky, the PZ gubbins leave the zoom ring feeling rough, they hit the AF end stops with quite a thump and manual focusing feels quite gritty (even when new).

The later silver FA zooms were practically given away with the body (the combo cost 10 more than the body).
10-17-2019, 05:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Walkingwolf Quote
On a trip to Japan I came across a used (and in excellent shape) FA 100-300 which I gleefully bought for just $23.00 Cdn dollars.
That's a deal that's hard to pass. Especially if it's the silver, F4.7 version. I had it until I got the 60-250, and it's a fine lens indeed.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
How many K-1 shooters would be interested in a DFA 100-200 f4.7-5.4 that weighed less than a pound and, even though it did have to be stopped down a bit to perform at its best and was sadly lacking in WR, nevertheless only cost $60.
Less than 60 is pushing it unless you get lucky. I would argue that a DFA 100-300 F4,7-F5,6 WR would sell like hot cakes.

10-17-2019, 12:29 PM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
Less than 60 is pushing it unless you get lucky. I would argue that a DFA 100-300 F4,7-F5,6 WR would sell like hot cakes.
Well yes of course, if was a real DFA, with WR, HD coatings, focusing motor, resolution out to 300mm, and the rest. My point is that, at this very moment, you can buy an approximation of that imaginary lens (minus the 200mm to 300mm) for around $60. I paid $60 for my copy of the FA-J 75-300 (which does go to 300mm, but isn't much good past 200mm).
10-17-2019, 09:18 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the 100-300 FA zoom since new and always liked it on the Z1, time to push it out again and play on the K1 after reading this.
10-17-2019, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
The only Canon power zoom I've come across was a cheap 35-80 kitted up with their EOS 700. Two buttons on the side worked the zoom. There was no manual focus.

However, I think trying to credit any manufacturer with coming up with the first power zoom for an SLR misses the point.

Power zoom was a dreadful idea. A solution for a problem no one was looking to solve. The fact that today we are all still content to zoom our lenses with fingertip pressure proves the idea was silly.

Power zoom can be added to the pile of useless features such as "expansion cards", bar code reader program modes, eye control, and a host of other techie features that were designed to look cool in the brochure, even if they didn't help with good photography one jot.
I have both the FA*28-70/2.8 and the FA*80-200/2.8, and as far as they're concerned, I'd have to strongly disagree with this opinion. I can't speak about any of the non-star lenses, but the FA* zooms are very well-built and, in spite of their age, the power zoom mechanisms in my copies work well and are useful additions to their features, particularly when hand-holding the 80-200. I note that some of the current (very much lighter) Olympus zooms are fitted with power zoom, so not everyone agrees that it's a dreadful idea.
10-17-2019, 10:53 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I have both the FA*28-70/2.8 and the FA*80-200/2.8, and as far as they're concerned, I'd have to strongly disagree with this opinion. I can't speak about any of the non-star lenses, but the FA* zooms are very well-built and, in spite of their age, the power zoom mechanisms in my copies work well and are useful additions to their features, particularly when hand-holding the 80-200. I note that some of the current (very much lighter) Olympus zooms are fitted with power zoom, so not everyone agrees that it's a dreadful idea.
I think most people think of the later lenses when talking about the quality, they were mostly kit lenses. I have the FA* 28-70 80-200 24 and 85, nothing bad in any of those for sure

10-17-2019, 11:40 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
I think most people think of the later lenses when talking about the quality, they were mostly kit lenses. I have the FA* 28-70 80-200 24 and 85, nothing bad in any of those for sure
I have also have the FA*24/2, but I've never found an FA*85 in my price range perhaps the forthcoming D FA*85 will be worth the outlay: certainly, I've found the D FA*50 to be stunningly good.

On the earlier zooms, I have a copy of the A35-105/3.5, which has proved to be as good as most people seem to think. The later F35-105/4-5.6 had a different optical formula as well as being variable aperture (and slower), and doesn't seem to be as well-regarded in some respects.
10-18-2019, 03:30 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
I have also have the FA*24/2, but I've never found an FA*85 in my price range perhaps the forthcoming D FA*85 will be worth the outlay: certainly, I've found the D FA*50 to be stunningly good.

On the earlier zooms, I have a copy of the A35-105/3.5, which has proved to be as good as most people seem to think. The later F35-105/4-5.6 had a different optical formula as well as being variable aperture (and slower), and doesn't seem to be as well-regarded in some respects.
I do like the 35-105 A too, the other big hunk from the same era 28-135 A is pretty good too, it just doesn't get the same kind of love as the 35-105. The FA 28-105 was a fixture on my Z1, the new DFA 28-105 is also a nice walk around lens, just a good zoom range,
10-18-2019, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

I still have my PZ-!p and several power zoom lenses, which I've found to provide decent to very good quality. I believe the power zoom function has been continued on current upper-level bodies due to these lenses still being around, especially the upper level FA* models with power zoom. I've been a fan of the power zoom concept and think it too bad it has not been upgraded into a more modern form now that we have silent DC motor lenses. That would be sweet.

People are always talking about better AF speed. Well, as those who actually use toehold PZ function know, as one zooms the lens to frame, especially when following a moving subject, AF has to change accordingly, but this is automatic with the PZ system as activating the power zoom simultaneously activates AF. So you are automatically focusing at the same time you are framing your subject. When you've zoomed to the framing you want for your shot focus is already achieved so you can instantly fire your shot. You don't have to finger the BF button or anything else. Just the zoom ring, then hit your shutter release. Of course, there is a considerable amount of noise as this goes on, which would not be the case with today's technology.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-18-2019 at 02:34 PM.
10-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I still have my PZ-!p and several power zoom lenses, which I've found to provide decent to very good quality. I believe the power zoom function has been continued on current upper-level bodies due to these lenses still being around, especially the upper level FA* models with power zoom. I've been a fan of the power zoom concept and think it too bad it has not been upgraded into a more modern form now that we have silent DC motor lenses. That would be sweet.

People are always talking about better AF speed. Well, as those who actually use toehold PZ function know, as one zooms the lens to frame, especially when following a moving subject, AF has to change accordingly, but this is automatic with the PZ system as activating the power zoom simultaneously activates AF. So you are automatically focusing at the same time you are framing your subject. When you've zoomed to the framing you want for your shot focus is already achieved so you can instantly fire your shot. You don't have to finger the BF button or anything else. Just the zoom ring, then hit your shutter release. Of course, there is a considerable amount of noise as this goes on, which would not be the case with today's technology.
True the focusing does follow I had forgotten that, I think this thread may go from hate to love of the FA zooms and their power function