Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Eaglerapids's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Idaho,USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,588
I just got the Tamron 1.4X TC and I've been very pleased using it with the DA* 300/4. I've posted three pics taken with the combo in the Oct 11 Pentaxian day thread, one of which is nearly a 100% crop. I've never had the Pentax 1.7 but if it's truly a 9 and the Tammy is a 6 it must be one heck of a unit. My issue with it is it's price which I think is way to high. Even though the SDM focusing works with the Tammy, I still find myself manually focusing most of the time but I'm weird I guess, I prefer manual focusing. Now when I get a big ole Eagle on the wing in my sights in a month or two I'm sure the AF will come in handy and I'll have the full range available without having to come close first before the 1.7 takes over.
Now I haven't tried it with the Sigma 70-300 but I bet the IQ won't be on par with the DA* but the Sigma doesn't come close WITHOUT the TC, as would be expected.
Now, does the DA* 300/4 w/Tamron 1.4X combo beat the DA* 420/4? Probably not, but then again Pentax hasn't seen fit to make one available to us. So whether the Tammy 1.4X is a 2 or 4 or 6 or 10 is rather a moot point at the moment, because for a decent price that hasn't been inflated due to hype and the holy grail of making a MF lens AF, there aren't many other options available.
But then again the Tammy isn't seen that much either these days, I just got lucky. If the seller had been asking much more than he did I would have passed on it.
If the new Pentax TC that might show up in the next two or three years :-) turns out to be a rebadged Tamron, I'll be ahead of the game but now, it'll have to be damn good for me to buy it.

10-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
The worst test picture

In my first attempt with the magic TC, I got this worse picture with some PF showing and with harsh lighting from the sun behind the Humming Bird




After some cropping and b&w conversion, plus a bit sharpening, it is still bad as I can't recognize the bird's eye, but I am very thrilled on the partial AF added to my Komine 200mm f/3.5 in K




Thanks, I am just too happy!

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2008 at 11:07 PM.
10-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #18
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I just got the Tamron 1.4X TC and I've been very pleased using it with the DA* 300/4. I've posted three pics taken with the combo in the Oct 11 Pentaxian day thread, one of which is nearly a 100% crop. I've never had the Pentax 1.7 but if it's truly a 9 and the Tammy is a 6 it must be one heck of a unit. My issue with it is it's price which I think is way to high. Even though the SDM focusing works with the Tammy, I still find myself manually focusing most of the time but I'm weird I guess, I prefer manual focusing. Now when I get a big ole Eagle on the wing in my sights in a month or two I'm sure the AF will come in handy and I'll have the full range available without having to come close first before the 1.7 takes over.
Now I haven't tried it with the Sigma 70-300 but I bet the IQ won't be on par with the DA* but the Sigma doesn't come close WITHOUT the TC, as would be expected.
Now, does the DA* 300/4 w/Tamron 1.4X combo beat the DA* 420/4? Probably not, but then again Pentax hasn't seen fit to make one available to us. So whether the Tammy 1.4X is a 2 or 4 or 6 or 10 is rather a moot point at the moment, because for a decent price that hasn't been inflated due to hype and the holy grail of making a MF lens AF, there aren't many other options available.
But then again the Tammy isn't seen that much either these days, I just got lucky. If the seller had been asking much more than he did I would have passed on it.
If the new Pentax TC that might show up in the next two or three years :-) turns out to be a rebadged Tamron, I'll be ahead of the game but now, it'll have to be damn good for me to buy it.
Thank you for the comments. I personally don't think it is just to give a low rating to Tamron 1.4x TC, I would give it a 7.2 and the Pentax F-1.7x TC a 8.5. It is difficult to attach gear with a number rating as it is a subjective rating. The Tamron will work with all the AF and even with the SDM lens. That is the best and the only viable option at the moment to work with SDM. But I will caution not to buy it at a high price. I paid $150 for my copy shipped and I sold it here for $135.0 + shipping. So I will consider it again if it is priced under $150. The price on the Tamron should drop when Pentax come out with the TC that will know about the SR distance as in 420mm in a 1.4x multiplier instead of the mis-stated 300mm when the Tamron TC is used on a 300mm prime.

As for the Pentax F-1.7x TC, it can't serve the purpose of my previous Promaster 1.7x AF TC, it will turn a AF lens to partial AF lens. In a way, that magic TC work better on older MF lens. It works best with 'A' meter MF lens. Damn!!! Nothing is perfect. But the cool thing is this -- you can dial in the SR focal length at your disposal to get the tele-rig a correct focal length for the SR to work while you get partial AF. It is unlike the Tamron 1.4x TC, SR focal length is pre-determined without consideration of the 1.4x multiplier.

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2008 at 11:08 PM.
10-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #19
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
On sale in Marketplace

I have the TC on sale in Marketplace

as I have two copies with the 2nd copy in delivery from Russ. What I am selling is the original copy from Tom Lusk that I bought from him earlier last week.

Thanks,
Hin


Last edited by hinman; 10-16-2008 at 08:17 PM. Reason: On sale in Marketplace
10-17-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hong Kong
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 431
I got the Pentax AF 1.7x TC recently and tried with my Tamron 300mm f2.8 yesterday.
To me, the combination is not too hard to handle but also not as easy as I think in taking good pics.
For close and big objects, the AF could focus accurately. However, my testing shots indicated that I should never rely on the AF for taking far away or even small objects in close distance. I had many testing pics turned out to be not focussing accurately, eventhough the camera told me the objects were in focus.
Here are a few successful sample shots.









10-18-2008, 12:10 AM   #21
Veteran Member
tomtor's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 382
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
FYI, the TC is sold to a good friend of mine outside the PentaxForums. I will be reporting again when my 2nd copy arrives with the Pentax K 300mm f/4.0.

Thank,s
Hin
Hi Hin,

I also have some mixed feelings about my 1.7x AF-converter. My K10D did have a BF focusing issue, so that might explain the results with my ATX-400. I tried it on my Sigma105 and that looked (much?) better. I have also seen stellar results from others.

The image quality depends on many factors. I am curious to know if your 2nd copy behaves differently. Please keep us informed.
10-19-2008, 06:59 PM   #22
m8o
Veteran Member
m8o's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: 40-55'-44" N / 73-24'-07" W [on LI]
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,102
I am so absolutely in love w/my 1.7x AF TC that I bought a 2nd!!!

I like it very much coupled to my Voigtlander 125/2.5, but have recently fell in love with it on a fast 50 [an A/1.7] that I bought a few months back making me an excellent 85mm, granted in good light (fringing shows up wide open under many conditions that it's not worth risking that the conditions are right). Here's a thread where I show-off and discuss that particular indulgence:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35674-told-not...u-tell-me.html
There's a link to all the photos from that day @ the bottom of the 1st post before the last image; a bunch to come on an SD card I have to offload from the past two days.

I'm liking it so much I'm now contemplating buying something that won't fringe when I sent the camera to f/2.8 and even allows me to go wider (and not fringe or show CAs):
- Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4
- Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2
- Voigtlander SLII 58/1.4 Nokton
- Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZK
...but, that's a subject for another thread I may make...
10-21-2008, 12:53 PM   #23
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsport Quote
I got the Pentax AF 1.7x TC recently and tried with my Tamron 300mm f2.8 yesterday.
To me, the combination is not too hard to handle but also not as easy as I think in taking good pics.
For close and big objects, the AF could focus accurately. However, my testing shots indicated that I should never rely on the AF for taking far away or even small objects in close distance. I had many testing pics turned out to be not focussing accurately, eventhough the camera told me the objects were in focus.
Here are a few successful sample shots.
If I get pictures like yours, I would be very happy. But I do share your experience on some difficulty in using the 1.7x TC, especially on off-focus shots. The AF is only partial and most of the time when my current focus is way far from the target point, the TC will just blink and requires my intervention to turn focus close to the target.

There are times, that I find the partial AF amazing but there are also times that I question whether AF lock is accurate from the TC. I think in all cases, I have to be a bit more patient than the actual AF lens. And I hope I learn to handle the lacking with experience accumulated with more practices.

I try to see things from the positive side. The hinder pushes me to be more patient with the shutter. And it is very similar to my MF practice shots that I get quite a number off-focus shots that I would like to admit. In most cases that I encounter, I think it may not be a BF issues but rather an un-intended moving of my body and hands right after focus lock.

10-21-2008, 12:56 PM   #24
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tomtor Quote
Hi Hin,

I also have some mixed feelings about my 1.7x AF-converter. My K10D did have a BF focusing issue, so that might explain the results with my ATX-400. I tried it on my Sigma105 and that looked (much?) better. I have also seen stellar results from others.

The image quality depends on many factors. I am curious to know if your 2nd copy behaves differently. Please keep us informed.
My 2nd copy just arrived in the weekend along with the charming K 300mm f/4.0 from Russ. I will test them whenever I find time.

Comparing the Pentax 300mm f/4.0 to my Komine 200mm f/3.5, I will more likely to do more testing using the Komine 200mm f/3.5 as it is very much hand-hold-able with the TC mounted. The TC turns my 200mm beloved Komine into a good 340mm lens that can be used easily to pan on birds without a tripod.
10-21-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
I am so absolutely in love w/my 1.7x AF TC that I bought a 2nd!!!

I like it very much coupled to my Voigtlander 125/2.5, but have recently fell in love with it on a fast 50 [an A/1.7] that I bought a few months back making me an excellent 85mm, granted in good light (fringing shows up wide open under many conditions that it's not worth risking that the conditions are right). Here's a thread where I show-off and discuss that particular indulgence:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/35674-told-not...u-tell-me.html
There's a link to all the photos from that day @ the bottom of the 1st post before the last image; a bunch to come on an SD card I have to offload from the past two days.

I'm liking it so much I'm now contemplating buying something that won't fringe when I sent the camera to f/2.8 and even allows me to go wider (and not fringe or show CAs):
- Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4
- Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2
- Voigtlander SLII 58/1.4 Nokton
- Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 ZK
...but, that's a subject for another thread I may make...
Good Pentaxian think alike. I love your thoughts. I am someone who love the 50mm for everything. And I just bought a Pentax A 50 f/1.7, I almost go for the A 50 f/1.4 but I refrain myself as I have my Pentax FA 50 f/1.4. With this TC, you can easily have a partial auto-focus FA in the 85mm. And if you are adventurous, you can think of Kenko 1.5x TC, Tamron 1.4x Pz-AF MC4 and Promaster Spectrum 1.7x AF, and you end up in all combinations such as Unknown Pentax FA 70 f/2.0 and Pentax FA 85mm f/2.8 like you just have tried.

And if you are also into macro using your 50mm, try macro reverse adapter or simply get a $60-$100 Vivitar 2x Macro Teleconverter that can turn your 50mm into a dual 1:1 macro lens and a 100mm short tele-prime.

Last edited by hinman; 10-21-2008 at 01:16 PM.
10-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #26
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
I test the my 2nd copy of Pentax F-1.7x AF TC but this time on a Pentax A 50 f/1.7, I essentially get a Pentax FA 85mm f/2.8 with partial AF. I tested it at night with wide open apertures in f/2.8


#1


#2


#3



#4



#5



#6



#7

10-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #27
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
I continue to test the Pentax F-1.7x AF TC and this weekend, I used it in the zoo with Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4.0 from Komine. The partial AF works its charm with animals in the zoo. I post these sample pictures in Marketplace where no one show interest on my Vivitar Series 1 zoom from Komine, I am likely to withdraw it form sale.

QuoteQuote:
All taken with magical Pentax F-1.7x AF TC that turns the Komine zoom into 119mm-357mm rig. I find it quite useful in the zoo. Though sharpness is not as best as a better zoom with 300mm, but this combo is worthy of attention especially the TC turns it into partial AF and I find it very helpful in panning shots with animals like the Tiger and Cotton Top Tamarin


Komine Series 1 zoom
Pentax F-1.7x AF TC

#1




#2


#3
Cotton Top Tamarin




#4



#5



#6


I may be withdrawing this lens from sale and try to push my Tokina version into Marketplace for a lower price, please PM if you have question about this Komine version or that with Tokina.

Thanks, Hin
Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-15-2008 at 11:01 PM.
12-15-2008, 10:57 PM   #28
Inactive Account




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boulder Creek, CA
Posts: 1
So, forgive the dumb question, but...

I have a 1.7 AFA. If I were to put, say a 55/1.2 on the front of it, and a K10D on the back, would I set the focal length for SR to 55 (because it can talk to the TC) or 90 (because it can't or won't).

Sorry, I'm a Canon guy for the most part, just playing with the Pentax since it seems to be a better answer for old MF glass.
12-15-2008, 11:05 PM   #29
Site Supporter
hinman's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fremont, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 3,425
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by n6mod Quote
So, forgive the dumb question, but...

I have a 1.7 AFA. If I were to put, say a 55/1.2 on the front of it, and a K10D on the back, would I set the focal length for SR to 55 (because it can talk to the TC) or 90 (because it can't or won't).

Sorry, I'm a Canon guy for the most part, just playing with the Pentax since it seems to be a better answer for old MF glass.
The best thing about this TC is the accurate entry for SR focal length. For a 55mm f/1.2 with the added 1.7x mutliple form the TC, I would enter the 55*1.7 = 93.5 or the closet as in 85mm or 90mm if the focal length is available, I always use the smaller of the closest focal length.

If the lens that you refer to is the Cosina 55mm f/1.2, you will have a decent 85mm f/2.0 with partial auto focus. '

In lure of my LBA trimming, I have sold my 2nd copy of TC to Steve in a local transaction. I will forward this thread to him.

Thanks,
Hin
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
1.7x, af, copy, f-1.7x, focus, k-mount, lens, pentax, pentax lens, shots, slr lens, tc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Financing Your Addiction fotojunkee Photographic Industry and Professionals 15 06-05-2009 12:11 PM
Aaa! Bag Addiction! Ratmagiclady Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 01-22-2009 03:26 PM
This has to stop. It's like an addiction Ed in GA Photographic Technique 26 04-06-2008 06:59 AM
The addiction that pays you back. loudbay Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 03-09-2008 07:32 PM
MG addiction irishinmo Post Your Photos! 7 06-13-2007 07:29 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top