Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2019, 11:42 AM   #1

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fish-Eye lens m42 mount for Pentax K1000

Hello, I am new to the forums and have a couple quick questions because I am in the market for a fisheye lens to use with my Pentax K1000 film camera for skateboard photography.

Would the Zenitar 16mm lens be the best option for me? Link:

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fish-Eye lens for m42 mount ? Zenit Lenses

If so, would I want the m42 mount or the K mount model? If I buy the above lens, would I have to get an adapter mount to fit the M42 to the Pentax K1000, similar to the ones found on eBay below?

pk m42 adapter infinity | eBay

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, I just want to make sure it will fit no problem, be easy to take off and put back on when needed, fit well/focus properly and work with the light meter.

Also I am assuming that Zenitar is a post-2016 model and thus a good one to buy? Or should I only look for one that was made in Russia prior to 1991? I saw this one on Amazon:

amazon.com : Fisheye Zenitar 2.8/16 MC Lens for Pentax K SLR DSLR Cameras : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Sorry for all the links haha, and thanks in advance,

Tim

10-16-2019, 11:58 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer / mod
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if given the option, I'd rather have the k-mount...
10-16-2019, 12:01 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The Zenitar 16/2.8 fisheye is a fine lens (I am an owner) and would be a fun addition to your kit. However, I would caution against buying the M42 version for use on a K-mount body. The lens has no A/M switch to allow manual aperture operation when adapted to K-mount. Workarounds are to surgically modify the lens or use a more sophisticated adapter having a "shelf" to depress the silver aperture pin on the lens rear.

In other words, using the M42 Zenitar fisheye on K-mount is not something I would advise.

Get the K-mount version from the Russian sellers on Amazon. The price + shipping is good and while it will take several weeks from Russia, it will have caps and rear filters and option for exchange if there is a quality issue. Ebay vendors are another option, though care should be taken that the lens is new and that there is remedy for defective goods.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2019 at 12:30 PM.
10-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tp4379 Quote
If so, would I want the m42 mount or the K mount model? If I buy the above lens, would I have to get an adapter mount to fit the M42 to the Pentax K1000, similar to the ones found on eBay below?

Apologies if I'm missing something obvious here, I just want to make sure it will fit no problem, be easy to take off and put back on when needed, fit well/focus properly and work with the light meter.
Adapters are another story. The safe path is to purchase the genuine Pentax adapter. It will always fit, always be easy to take off, will always allow infinity focus, will never shave metal off your mount into the mirror box, and will never improperly bias the light meter. That said, there are workarounds for using brand-X adapters and the Pentax Forums have many dedicated users of such.

Steve

(...first experiment with a brand-X (Bower) resulted in a half-day's struggle to remove it from one of my film cameras...Dremel was considered...metal shards found in the mirror box afterwards...)

10-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The k-mount won't require an adapter but the M42 will. The conventional wisdom is just to get the real pentax M42 to K adapter instead of getting one of the cheaper one that may or may not cause problems.

EDIT
it sounds like getting the M42 version to use on a K-mount camera would be a bad idea from what stevebrot posted. I don't own this lens and this issue wasn't mentioned in what I had read about it.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The lens has no A/M switch to allow manual aperture operation when adapted to K-mount. Workarounds are to surgically modify the lens or use a more sophisticated adapter having a "shelf" to depress the silver aperture pin on the lens rear.

Last edited by MossyRocks; 10-16-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: new info found out
10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!

It's an excellent lens, especially on a 35mm film or "full frame" digital camera. I agree with others that you'd be better off going with the K-mount version to use with your K1000.

I will say, though, it's worth shopping around for a good used example. That link you've provided shows the latest version of the lens, but the older versions are optically identical. A good, used K-mount example should only set you back around $100 - $150, which is a huge saving over the new one. I have the older M42 mount version (modified for full manual control) and I seem to remember I paid around $100...
10-16-2019, 12:36 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hello, I am new to the forums and have a couple quick questions because I am in the market for a fisheye lens to use with my Pentax K1000 film camera for skateboard photography.

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fish-Eye lens for m42 mount ? Zenit Lenses

Also I am assuming that Zenitar is a post-2016 model and thus a good one to buy? Or should I only look for one that was made in Russia prior to 1991? I saw this one on Amazon:

amazon.com : Fisheye Zenitar 2.8/16 MC Lens for Pentax K SLR DSLR Cameras : Digital Slr Camera Lenses : Camera & Photo?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Sorry for all the links haha, and thanks in advance,

Tim
I would also suggest the K-mount version. I have one and have really enjoyed it.

It works great on film, APS digital, and full frame digital.

But it is something that takes practice to really get to shine.

-Eric
10-16-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fish-Eye lens m42 mount for Pentax K1000
I forgot one big caution when buying Russian/Soviet K-mount lenses. Be sure and confirm that the lens is NATIVE K-mount and not M42 sold with an adapter. The lens you want is MC Zenitar-K 2.8/16. To the best of my knowledge, these will be the old body design (colorful engravings) regardless of box color or year of manufacture. My understanding is that the older-type bodies continue in limited production by KMZ (Zenit).

Note: The better Russian eBay vendors will have excellent feedback and a fairly high transaction count. The best will be registered as business members.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-16-2019 at 12:59 PM.
10-16-2019, 01:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Wow, thank you all for the quick responses, especially Steve. I think I'm going to go with the Amazon listing, "Fisheye Zenitar 2.8/16 MC Lens for Pentax K SLR," just confirming with the seller that it's a native K-mount,

Tim
10-16-2019, 01:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Have you considered the Pentax 17mm f4.0 fisheye?

SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
10-16-2019, 03:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have the m42 version, which I bought to get a wide compliment to my other m42 kit lenses. To appeal with the lack of an A/M switch, you can either get a special adaptor that depresses the aperture opening pin, or do a simple mod to put a sleeve over the pin inside the mount.

I have done the mod, there is a photo I loaded up somewhere, the mod is reversible and takes about 5 minutes
10-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Oh thanks for bringing this one to my attention, it looks real good, better in fact. More of a fish-eye effect maybe. Thanks, currently looking for a good one on eBay. Assuming since it's Pentax, it can screw on to a K1000/be used with that model, no problem,

Tim

---------- Post added 10-17-19 at 01:21 PM ----------

I forgot one big caution when buying Russian/Soviet K-mount lenses. Be sure and confirm that the lens is NATIVE K-mount and not M42 sold with an adapter. The lens you want is MC Zenitar-K 2.8/16. To the best of my knowledge, these will be the old body design (colorful engravings) regardless of box color or year of manufacture. My understanding is that the older-type bodies continue in limited production by KMZ (Zenit).

Note: The better Russian eBay vendors will have excellent feedback and a fairly high transaction count. The best will be registered as business members.

Steve
Hey Steve, thanks for your advice on the original K mount, I reached out to the Russian sellers on Amazon and they said the following:

"No, this lens is equipped with an adapter. It isn't manufactured with the bayonet K.
It will fit a Pentax K1000 film camera.
Production years are 2016-2019."

Don't think I will go with this option, besides the SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye lens looks a bit better. SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I saw it listed on eBay here: Near Mint m42 Pentax SMC Fish Eye Takumar 17mm F/4 Lens original caps and case | eBay

Do you have familiarity with this model as well? Just want to be as sure as I can be since it's a lot of money,

Tim
10-17-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Steve, thanks for your advice on the original K mount, I reached out to the Russian sellers on Amazon and they said the following:

"No, this lens is equipped with an adapter. It isn't manufactured with the bayonet K.
It will fit a Pentax K1000 film camera.
Production years are 2016-2019."

Don't think I will go with this option, besides the SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye lens looks a bit better. SMC Pentax 17mm F4 Fish-Eye Reviews - K Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

I saw it listed on eBay here: Near Mint m42 Pentax SMC Fish Eye Takumar 17mm F/4 Lens original caps and case | eBay

Do you have familiarity with this model as well? Just want to be as sure as I can be since it's a lot of money,

Tim
I have no experience with the SMC Takumar 17mm fisheye except for having handled one several years ago in a shop. The price on that one looks about right, though you will still have to get an adapter. There is a genuine Pentax listed on the PF Marketplace at a decent price (LINK). A Pentax-K version of the 17mm (same optically, though with built-in "hood") would be about the same money, if you can find one.

If you are still interested in a Zenitar 16mm, I would feel confident buying from the listing linked below, assuming the seller will confirm native K-mount.

Fisheye MC Zenitar 2.8/16mm Pentax-K bayonet mount. Brand new lens. Blue-Red Box | eBay (In blue box)

-- or --

Same seller in green (grin) box (mine, made in 2007, came in a green box. The blue box looks a bit more polished...who knows...)

FishEye MC Zenitar 2.8/16mm Pentax-K bayonet mount. Brand NEW Lens. grin box | eBay

I should probably add that I have bought a fair number of lenses and similar from eBay sellers in Russia and former Soviet countries with consistent positive experiences. It helps to know what you are after and how to root out scams. The vendor above has an established storefront and excellent feedback.

Steve
10-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #14

Original Poster
I have no experience with the SMC Takumar 17mm fisheye except for having handled one several years ago in a shop. The price on that one looks about right, though you will still have to get an adapter. There is a genuine Pentax listed on the PF Marketplace at a decent price (LINK). A Pentax-K version of the 17mm (same optically, though with built-in "hood") would be about the same money, if you can find one.

If you are still interested in a Zenitar 16mm, I would feel confident buying from the listing linked below, assuming the seller will confirm native K-mount.

Fisheye MC Zenitar 2.8/16mm Pentax-K bayonet mount. Brand new lens. Blue-Red Box | eBay (In blue box)

-- or --

Same seller in green (grin) box (mine, made in 2007, came in a green box. The blue box looks a bit more polished...who knows...)

FishEye MC Zenitar 2.8/16mm Pentax-K bayonet mount. Brand NEW Lens. grin box | eBay

I should probably add that I have bought a fair number of lenses and similar from eBay sellers in Russia and former Soviet countries with consistent positive experiences. It helps to know what you are after and how to root out scams. The vendor above has an established storefront and excellent feedback.

Steve
Ok thanks a bunch Steve, I am going to contact these sellers now. Getting a native K-mount one might be best for me on second thought, that way I can avoid having to get an adapter as well (just thinking aloud here haha). Yeah, I have experience shopping on eBay and always check ratings/reviews (been scammed once before and it only takes one time),

Tim
10-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I would look at this one if it is within your budget.

Pentax SMC 17mm F4 Fish Eye Prime *MINT* | eBay

Good luck