Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-16-2008, 02:44 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Tamron SP 60-300mm Macro question

I picked up one of these on Ebay, and it arrived today, and either it is broken or I am just a complete idiot (the latter is a definite possiblilty - at least so I have been told).

It seems to be stuck in macro mode. Pushed fully out (300mm+)I get the 1:1.55 at a couple of inches and pulled all the way in (60mm) I can focus between approx. 3 and 6 feet. I don't seem to be able to get it into normal tele zoom mode.

How is it supposed to behave?

10-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Original Poster
Well, I can give an update on this myself. I figured out that in macro mode you are not supposed to be able to use focus (left/right) at all - it is only push and pull. That pretty much told me that the lens was busted because I couldn't get out of macro mode, but I could focus left/right at the same time.

Since it was a fairly cheap lense I figured I'd take it apart to see if it was something I could fix. Turns out that two of the plastic guides that run in the grooves in the barrel had broken (see image). The small pieces where keeping the lens from coming out of macro mode, and the play introduced by the missing plastic parts made it possible to use the focus.

I had another Adaptall lens (80-210) that was pretty bad so I figured that I could cannibalize it and hopefully I'd be able to find the pieces I needed. Turns out that the diameter of the ones in the other lens were approx. 0.75 mm too small, so even if it works there is still an undesirable amount of play in the push/pull action.

Does anyone have an idea where I could get these parts?
10-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Superglue them together.
10-17-2008, 02:40 PM   #4

Original Poster
Unfortunately there are too many small pieces to make that feasible. Maybe I'll come across a cheap broken one on ebay, or I can check with KEH to see if they have one that rates below UGLY so I can get it real cheap (they're local so I'd save on shipping).