Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 22 Likes Search this Thread
10-18-2019, 12:51 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you only have a K-1, I would stick with the DFA15-30. The DA*11-18 is acceptable at 18mm on full frame, but the DFA15-30 stomps it for edge performance.

Personally though, I often prefer to pack a second body (APS-C) and take advantage of the compactness, better handling and build quality of the DA*11-18. The focus clamp and conventional filter thread are bonuses.

I'm still debating the case for keeping my DFA15-30. It is a glorious lens though....

10-18-2019, 12:58 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
I can only say that I am very happy with my 11-18. (The review of acoufap persuaded me) Finally a UWA for my K-1 that I can take with me in rear pannier on bike rides. And for my K-3 a great extension for moments when the 15 LTD falls short of quality. I tried a M4/20 on the K-1, one of my favorites on the LX, but worse to me than the DA 14 and DA 15 LTD in crop mode. Again, I am very happy with my 11-18, the Sigma 8-16 has since been sold. Not the DA 14 and 15, certainly the 15! they are still useful sometimes on my K-3 and the K-new?.
10-18-2019, 01:07 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AjaLx Quote
The Sigma 8-16 has since been sold. Not the DA 14 and 15, certainly the 15! they are still useful sometimes on my K-3 and the K-new?.
Absolutely. Flare resistance is one of the DA*11-18's very few weaknesses - so keeping the DA15 Limited in the bag is most helpful.
10-18-2019, 01:37 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have also been pondering what WA or UWA I should get to complement the DFA 28-105 on the wider end... I was thinking about the 15/4 Laowa with shift (Very wide, macro AND architectural? That's so many itches scratched in one lens), but apparently it will have dark corners on FF so I am not so sure anymore. The Irix 15 (11mm might be a *tad* too wide ) also looks good, but then again the Rokiyangs (in Germany, Walimex, which sounds dumb. Rokinon is so much better ) are faster and cheaper although they have distortion, and the Pentax-M 20 is something I can just toss in the bag while hiking and AAAAAAAAAGH.

Well, LBA postponed until graduation. Too many options!

Ahem. Back on topic and for your case, while it's true that the 15-30 IS heavier, the DA* is still 750 g (as opposed to 1040 g on the DFA) so the difference might not be that significant. Are you interested in carrying it around and WR is important? If that's the case I would even consider the Blackstone Irixes as they are ~600 g and weather sealed (though manual focus, but I think not even I can mess focus on 15mm). Buying the great piece of engineering that is the 11-18 to use it as more or less a prime seems a bit regrettable...

10-18-2019, 01:47 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
While it's true that the 15-30 IS heavier, the DA* is still 750 g (as opposed to 1040 g on the DFA) so the difference might not be that significant.
That's nearly 50% heavier. And weight isn't everything. Packability and handling are also important.
QuoteQuote:
Buying the great piece of engineering that is the 11-18 to use it as more or less a prime seems a bit regrettable...
I agree with this. Only buy the DA*11-18 if you're planning to use it on a crop camera.
10-18-2019, 01:59 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
That's nearly 50% heavier. And weight isn't everything. Packability and handling are also important.
Yeah, I stopped at the diameter (which is not that different) and promptly forgot the DFA is also 50% longer. Oooops... 14 cm instead of 10 might unbalance the package quite a lot. Is it too front-heavy to handhold comfortably for long?

In any case, if size is important I stand by my (unfortunately, not experience-backed) defense of a "lighter" prime. Unless zoom truly is important, but UWA zooms will always* be a sizeable chunk I'm afraid.

*The FA J 18-35 is not, but optically looks... mediocre, from the reviews.
10-18-2019, 02:06 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is it too front-heavy to handhold comfortably for long?
It's more of a problem on a tripod than it is hand held.

10-18-2019, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it too front-heavy to handhold comfortably for long?
I certainly haven't found it so. Once it's on the camera, I'm perfectly comfortable with it. It's finding room for it in the damned bag that frustrates me.
10-18-2019, 02:30 AM - 1 Like   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Why not just get a wide prime like the Irix 15mm or Samyang 14mm to add to what you already have? For ultra wide angle shots you really don't need auto focus for the most part.

If you are really down to the other two and shoot full frame, I would choose the 15-30 over the 11-18. I know the 11-18 is usable on full frame, but the corners aren't great to my eye (not the end of the world, but when you are spending that much money on a lens you want it to really fit your needs).
10-18-2019, 02:54 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
There have been some fine photos posted of the 11-18 which seems to be very nice on FF as well as crop. There are even more wonderful shots posted with the 15-30. The 15-30 is large and heavy. The 11-18 smaller and lighter but is intended for a crop sensor. Has anyone used both lenses enough to have a solid view of when the 11-18 can be used as well or close to as well as the 15-30 on FF?
Why not testing both of them and make your own idea?
10-18-2019, 03:05 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Why not testing both of them and make your own idea?
These are expensive lenses, and require assessment on cameras of different formats. That's not a comparison to be undertaken lightly, so asking for advice from those of us who have both is not unreasonable.
10-18-2019, 03:08 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's more of a problem on a tripod than it is hand held.
Taken on a tripod a couple of weeks ago, on uneven rocks, in steady drizzle. Piece of cake.

K1+DFA 15-30 @ 30 f/14, 1 sec, iso 125
10-18-2019, 03:16 AM - 2 Likes   #28
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Taken on a tripod a couple of weeks ago, on uneven rocks, in steady drizzle. Piece of cake.
I didn't say it was a major problem. Just moreso on a tripod than hand held. It is a bit front heavy.

I used mine a fair bit on my flimsy Sirui tripod in the UK....

10-18-2019, 03:48 AM   #29
Unregistered User

I've been having similar thoughts. I've got both APS-C and full-frame so I'd dismissed the 11-18 because I like "two-fers" - want to be able to use any lens I buy profitably on both cameras.

And I've got the 11mm Irix Blackstone, which I like a lot, so I was considering the 15mm version; it would be lighter than the 15-30, but is manual focus only. The Irix costs half as much as the 15-30, though that's a one-time soaker, not like gasoline you have to buy every week, such that an extra five cents a gallon makes a big difference over time. And, as @Rondec points out, autofocus isn't that big a necessity with very wide angle lenses. I won't get as wide an angle of view with either of these on the APS-C, but either the 15mm Irix or the Pentax 15-30 will fill that gap well enough, too. Image quality, especially sharpness, is probably my number one priority. I can put up with inconvenience to get the sharpest images possible.

Another thing I was thinking was about the size and weight of the 15-30, which seem to be its only major drawbacks: I've got a HD D FA★ 50mm F1.4 which is about the same size, though slightly smaller, and I find that lens a joy to use, neither the size nor the weight bother me. In fact, it's about the perfect size for me to handle. So I'm thinking that's not that big a deal. I reckon the final decision will boil down to what Santa decides to offer me on Black Friday.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-18-2019 at 03:56 AM.
10-18-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I
Another thing I was thinking was about the size and weight of the 15-30, which seem to be its only major drawbacks: I've got a HD D FA★ 50mm F1.4 which is about the same size, though slightly smaller, and I find that lens a joy to use, neither the size nor the weight bother me. In fact, it's about the perfect size for me to handle. So I'm thinking that's not that big a deal. I reckon the final decision will boil down to what Santa decides to offer me on Black Friday.
FWIW the firs time i picked up a K-1 was at B&H and the 15-30 was mounted on it. it felt really good in the hand so good that it's what sold me on getting that lens not to mention the K-1. I still think its almost the perfect the lens on the K-1 although admittedly I don't have a lot of lenses for it yet. I am thinking of the 11-18 for my KP. My biggest concern is the range, since i love how the 12-24 does goes a bit longer and is useful for not having to switch lenses when i want a less wide of field of view. I really do need to check what focal lengths i use the 12-24 at.