Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I like what you did there.
I dunno....I like NikSonFujOlyCanPan myself lmao

---------- Post added 10-24-19 at 02:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
We're used to it right?

We let the Canikony people think what they think, that doesn't affect the next picture we take.

Yes, it's usually while watching them review another brand and they get all excited for some "new feature" I be like..."My Pentax had this for years"
10-24-2019, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #78
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
Yes, it's usually while watching them review another brand and they get all excited for some "new feature" I be like..."My Pentax had this for years"
Yeah, like IBIS is a gimmick - and now there's a mad scramble to do it. And going to larger formats with the K-1 and 645D was a fool's errand, and the others are all desperately doing that, too, even Panasonic.
10-24-2019, 04:34 PM - 2 Likes   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, like IBIS is a gimmick - and now there's a mad scramble to do it. And going to larger formats with the K-1 and 645D was a fool's errand, and the others are all desperately doing that, too, even Panasonic.
Yep. I just heard one say the xpro3 is the first camera to offer in-camera HDR..... Or the new Olympus LiveND, which is basically the same as our live composite we've had for years.....Next I expect someone to release an "Astro-photo" mode and be "The first ones" hahaha

10-25-2019, 05:01 AM   #80
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep. I just heard one say the xpro3 is the first camera to offer in-camera HDR..... Or the new Olympus LiveND, which is basically the same as our live composite we've had for years.....Next I expect someone to release an "Astro-photo" mode and be "The first ones" hahaha
In the relatively captive photo market, being first with a new feature isn't actually as relevant as with, say, cell phones (even there, the OS is the biggest driver). Still, marketing a feature as new when it isn't is just plain wrong.
10-25-2019, 05:52 AM - 2 Likes   #81
Veteran Member

come to think of it, Pentax is also pioneer in making in body horizon correction.
Its a small thing, but it saves TONS of time in post process to correct the horizon on all images separately.
I know when I pick up my Sony, though the technology is technically available to it due to IBIS, they wont utilize horizon correction, so it just ends up wasting a lot of my time fixing horizon and losing resolution in the process.

on the sony forums, when I asked about that feature on sony, they all said 'why would any one want that? no camera does that, and it is a loss of creativity'
yet they are also the same critics that HATE any image that is off on an angle for its horizon...where as Pentax doesn't have that issue :P
10-25-2019, 06:29 AM   #82
Veteran Member

I am at this dilemma myself. 77mm Limited because I love the FA 31mm, Sigma 85mm, or the FA* 85mm. Trying to find a copy of anything but the 77mm is trying to find a unicorn of price, condition, and reputable seller, especially for the FA*.

10-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote
I am at this dilemma myself. 77mm Limited because I love the FA 31mm, Sigma 85mm, or the FA* 85mm. Trying to find a copy of anything but the 77mm is trying to find a unicorn of price, condition, and reputable seller, especially for the FA*.
Bear this in mind. The FA 77 has more in common with the A* 85 than any of those other lenses. If you want that rendering - the 77 is the only autofocus choice - albeit with less soft backgrounds wide open (1.8 @ 77 vs. 1.4 @ 85). The FA* 85 has a reputation for being intentionally designed for a little softness wide open at portrait distances - I have never shot one so I can't say how accurate this is however here is a post on another site that details some of the characteristics: Pentax Fa 85mm f1.4..History and More!: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review . The A* 85 when focus is right is so sharp it feels like the images can cut you...

EDIT: based on the above if the lens is intentionally front-focusing it would be possible to adjust this with modern SLR's if you were willing to have it setup for sharp on portraits. Then you would need to turn off fine focus correction when you need to shoot at a distance or decide not to shoot at a distance with that lens assuming that your adjustment made those images too soft. .
10-30-2019, 01:17 PM - 1 Like   #84
Veteran Member

Okay, following up with this and on my previous comment.
Though I did put the sigma 85mm 1.4 k mount on sale for a few weeks, i took it off.
I dont care how fast focusing the Sony variations are, but the colors on the sigma, coupled with the K1's colors, the combo is VERY hard to beat.

So until Pentax releases a newer version of the 85, i'm holding and loving my sigma 85!
11-03-2019, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #85
Pentaxian

I use the 77 and like I a lot., but someone has to say it: FA 1.4/85 is not a modern portrait lens option. It has been discontinued for 15 years. Every lens is at least 15 years old. Can we still get spare parts? The 77 is also not a recent design. Size and performance wise the Canon 1.4 85 is maybe your best bet for current DSLR camera. Pentax keeps talking about the upcoming DFA 85, but it is not showing up. A mint fa 85 costs you basically the same as a new Nikon, Canon, Sigma 1.4 85 with warranty and modern features. The Pentax fa 85 is a solid performer, but much overrated or overpriced due to lack of alternatives. Settle for 77, wait for DFA 85 or move on.
11-03-2019, 06:51 AM   #86
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So my only concern with the 77mm is the entire point of FF portraiture is shallow DOF. So at 1.8 am I basically throwing that advantage out the window, or would you K1 77mm users say it's still a big jump from APS-c?
1.8 doesn't throw shallow DoF out the window. 2.8 doesn't even throw shallow DoF out the window. My biggest surprise with my 55 1.4 was, if I bracket my apertures, 1.4 is almost never the best image. Lot's of ƒ2 and ƒ2.8 image though. The DOF at 1.4 is too narrow.
11-03-2019, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #87
Pentaxian

Given that the 77mm is such an amazing lens, pleasing EVERYONE who owns it, why chase unicorns? Simply get the 77!
11-03-2019, 02:07 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Given that the 77mm is such an amazing lens, pleasing EVERYONE who owns it, why chase unicorns? Simply get the 77!
Because I have heard the legendary FA* 85 is an even more amazing lens than the 77mm, but just not as many people own it to compare it to. Not sure if Pentaxians are so desperate for a star level 85mm that the rarity creates an obsession like owning a Ferrari, or is it justification of spending so much on a lens for those who bought it.
11-04-2019, 06:26 AM   #89
Pentaxian

Not sure if Pentaxians are so desperate for a star level 85mm that the rarity creates an obsession like owning a Ferrari, or is it justification of spending so much on a lens for those who bought it.
I have not tested it. I'm sure it is amazing. I'm also of the opinion that, at this level of quality, it really is splitting hairs to determine which will be best. I know however that the lens you own will take more keepers than the lens you wish for

Nothing stops you from getting the 77, keep hunting for the 85, and sell the 77 if you ever find the 85.
11-05-2019, 01:51 PM - 2 Likes   #90
Veteran Member

I have not tested it. I'm sure it is amazing. I'm also of the opinion that, at this level of quality, it really is splitting hairs to determine which will be best. I know however that the lens you own will take more keepers than the lens you wish for

Nothing stops you from getting the 77, keep hunting for the 85, and sell the 77 if you ever find the 85.
Well I took your advice, and I am trying out a used 77mm from Adorama. If its not too beat up, the price is good enough that if i find a unicorn later I can still get the 85mm. This forum is terrible for LBA...pick two lenses? Why not buy both?