Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hi!

Thanks for the responses.
the FA35 f2 sounds nice, but i can't find it for sale new. is it discontinued?
there is a DA35mm f2.8 limited, but its kind of dear and as was asked earlier, is f2.8 enough?
i noticed Sigma has a 28mm f1.8 and a 30mm f1.4 both are a little wider, a little faster and a little cheaper than the DA35. anyone know if they are any good?

i just got back from a walk (just on dusk) trying to reevaluate f2.8 and a couple of FL's
since my goal is no flash and to keep the iso down as far is possible, i don't think f2.8 will be enough. at f2.8 the shutter speeds i was getting, i was barely able to aviod blur from camera shake. add some people and i think i'd lose most of the shots (like i am now)
So this leaves me with higher iso's or larger apertures right? or both.

I realise a fast prime may not achieve all i'm hoping, but it will definately be better than my current f4 and it will not be a waste having one in my bag

just got to decide which one

10-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob83 Quote
the FA35 f2 sounds nice, but i can't find it for sale new. is it discontinued?
there is a DA35mm f2.8 limited, but its kind of dear and as was asked earlier, is f2.8 enough?
i noticed Sigma has a 28mm f1.8 and a 30mm f1.4 both are a little wider, a little faster and a little cheaper than the DA35. anyone know if they are any good?
Adorama has the FA 35mm in stock
22190 Pentax SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL Wide Angle Auto Focus Lens

This is an excellent thread that may help you make a decision (or may confuse you even more ;~)
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/37790-sigma-28...-35-f-2-a.html

Last edited by audiobomber; 10-18-2008 at 09:23 AM.
10-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #18
Forum Member

i just got back from a walk (just on dusk) trying to reevaluate f2.8 and a couple of FL's
since my goal is no flash and to keep the iso down as far is possible, i don't think f2.8 will be enough.
My only lenses are two f2.8. I am into available light photography, like you. I can guarantee that you want the widest aperture available. I wish I had some f1.x lenses but currently cannot afford them (but definitely are a future must get).

Try fixing your zoom to a certain focal length (for example: 16, 21 or 30) and see which one you can live with. Not just one day but a week at least, so you can expose yourself to as many different situations as possible while being with that fixed focal length.

When you get your ideal focal length, you can start viewing the choices available, and ask here again, to narrow the options and make a more focused decision.
10-28-2008, 01:31 AM   #19

Original Poster
progress update

well, i made a decision.
after much internal debate and reading online, i decided on the Sigma 28mm f1.8
i probably would have stuck to pentax, but a combination of focal length, aperture size and price led me here.

anyway, it arrived this afternoon, so here are my 1st impressions.
(i'm waiting till the sun sets a little to take it out for a run so no pics yet)
people said it was large, and wow! its not quite as long as my 16-45, but its wider and heavier. Build quality seems good. i've never really liked the finish on the sigmas. its always looked tacky imho. But this is a very minor concern and it obviously didn't stop me from ordering one

My main 'concern' at this point is a fairly noticable barrel distortion. i saw it the moment i put it on the camera. i took a couple of quick shots to compare the 16-45 @28mm and my impression was confirmed. the pentax is really good @ 28mm. the sigma is about the same as an old MF vivitar 28mm i have.
Anyone out there with one of these Sigma's, seen the same thing? is this normal? I would have thought a prime would have been able to compensate for this a lot easier than a zoom.

i'll repost after i've had a chance to take some 'real' photos.
in the meantime, any suggestions as to how to 'put it through its paces' or thoughts on the barrel distortions, are most welcome.

10-28-2008, 03:28 AM   #20
Pentaxian

My main 'concern' at this point is a fairly noticable barrel distortion.
Popphoto says "Barrel distortion was minimal (0.43%)." (Lens Test: Superspeed Sigma Trio - - PopPhotoNovember 2002).

I also found a page comparing a number of 28mm lenses using a brickwall shot (jr-worldwi.de: Photography: Technic), however, this uses an older version of the Sigma 28mm.

Last edited by Class A; 10-28-2008 at 03:46 AM.
10-28-2008, 04:03 PM   #21

Are you in Sydney. if so I can lend you the lens.