Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Problem, pentax 1.4x-s

just got this and it will not work with manual lenses. this is really weird. this works on the A setting except in M mode. that's fine but i use a lot of M lenses. it will not stop down the aperture to take a reading in manual mode, not with any lens. it just does not work in manual mode.
here's whats weird. if i put my tamron F 2x on top of the 1.4 all is well. if i put the 1.4 on top of the tamron 2x it will not close down the manual lens.
IDEAS????
REASONS???
HELP!!!!

this is the A version TC.

Last edited by roy; 03-03-2007 at 10:17 AM.
03-03-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have the "Allow aperture setting other than A" custom function enabled? Is the TC ok mechanically?

The thing with the Tamron is really weird, but I think it must be the camera's fault. Probably something related to the electrical contacts...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-03-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
everything is allowed. the AE-L button will not take a reading. if i put an extention tube on the TC it works fine. with any lens.
03-03-2007, 12:48 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
just got this and it will not work with manual lenses. this is really weird. this works on the A setting except in M mode. that's fine but i use a lot of M lenses. it will not stop down the aperture to take a reading in manual mode, not with any lens. it just does not work in manual mode.
here's whats weird. if i put my tamron F 2x on top of the 1.4 all is well. if i put the 1.4 on top of the tamron 2x it will not close down the manual lens.
IDEAS????
REASONS???
HELP!!!!

this is the A version TC.
My guess: The camera cannot detect that you use an M lens. The TC has the electrical contacts and the pin of an A lens and thus simulates an A lens no matter what is attached.

03-03-2007, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That makes sense

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
My guess: The camera cannot detect that you use an M lens. The TC has the electrical contacts and the pin of an A lens and thus simulates an A lens no matter what is attached.
When I used A*300 f2.8 with 1.4x S or 2x S teleconverters, sometimes I clicked the k10d shutters with only black screen images being recorded. This scenario happened to me a few times.

Even the contact between S teleconverter and camera body is not always reliable either.

When I used A* 200mm f4 macro with S tele, I even get blown out imaging probably due to poor metering or some sort. At one stage, I decided to just do manual focusing myself with something like 2 stops down from automatic exposure setting
03-03-2007, 01:49 PM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ole,
exactly my thoughts but how do i fix it???
it's got to be a contact problem. i just dont know.
03-03-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
When I used A*300 f2.8 with 1.4x S or 2x S teleconverters, sometimes I clicked the k10d shutters with only black screen images being recorded. This scenario happened to me a few times.

Even the contact between S teleconverter and camera body is not always reliable either.

When I used A* 200mm f4 macro with S tele, I even get blown out imaging probably due to poor metering or some sort. At one stage, I decided to just do manual focusing myself with something like 2 stops down from automatic exposure setting
i'm not sure what you are trying to tell me james.
03-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #8
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
ole,
exactly my thoughts but how do i fix it???
it's got to be a contact problem. i just dont know.
Fixing it would probably take drilling out the one contact that signals "I am an A lens"!

03-03-2007, 06:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Fixing it would probably take drilling out the one contact that signals "I am an A lens"!
That seems a bit drastic when a bit of tape or some such thing to block contact would likely do the trick.
03-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
also it would not work w/A lenses anymore.
mike, before i read your post i tried the tape and all works correctly. guess a roll goes in the kit.
03-03-2007, 06:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A roll of tape certainly makes for a lighter camera bag than the "try a bigger hammer" school.
03-03-2007, 07:20 PM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

Original Poster
mike,
a smaller hammer works wonders. it's real good at getting the glass out of those old worthless 2x converters, especially if they are meter coupled. got me a good one at 32mm. yeah, it was a long 2x.