Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 12:28 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In addition to all that's been said is that the original Meyer Optik Primoplan is cheaper than the modern edition, not to mention the fact that it's, well, original.

10-22-2019, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 lenses are a personal aesthetic choice. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you find the rendering style of modern lenses too clinical then eventually you'll go looking for more characterful alternatives. That will inevitably lead you to manual focus legacy lenses, and ultimately you'll settle on the ones that give you the rendering you want. If it turns out that M42 lenses are the ones that get you closest to your preferred look you'll accept their handling quirks at first as a price you have to pay, but then in the end those quirks will become a fundamental part of the pleasure of shooting with those lenses. And after that there's no hope for you -- just surrender to your fate and sign up to the Takumar Club.
10-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I find working with Taks and the K-1 to be easy in Av mode. Just got myself a Model 1 Super-Tak 50/1.4 8-element (thank you, @rosettaquarrier) and it is a dream on FF. I started out with 50mm over 40 years ago and it is great to be back with that focal length.
10-22-2019, 01:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
What are some good reasons to use an M42? What are some reasons to avoid them?
Reasons to use them include: Why not? 'Coz I can and some real nice old glass that renders beautifully.

Reasons not to: Sorry, can't think of any!

10-22-2019, 02:41 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Why?: There are lots of interesting lenses to try out. and not just Taks, and there a whole variety of them. You can get third party providers for M-42, including old Russian and Eastern block lenses, as well. The fun never ceases.

Why not?: Exactly,
10-22-2019, 03:47 PM   #21
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sir Nameless Quote
I have one manual lens in K-mount. I find that I like the rendering (it has that special 3D something that makes pictures especially pleasing) and I like the fact that it makes me slow down and think more than a fully automatic lens.

I'm toying with the idea of adding more primes in key focal lengths to my arsenal. I know there are other K- and M- type lenses out there, but I'm wondering if I should also consider M42 lenses?

What are some good reasons to use an M42? What are some reasons to avoid them?

I already understand that you need an adapter, and you don't need to use stop-down metering (so they're easier in that respect than the bayonet type manuals).

I'd be interested in something in the 24-28 mm (K28 /3.5 is on my radar) range and maybe something in the short-tele range. I'm after the magic rendering. And not spending a lot.

I remember before starting my journey with M42 lenses... I was concerned about sharpness, about color rendition, about clarity.... if I could not have these three things, I was not going to pursue anything M42...

I bought an OEM M42 adapter and a bog-standard Takumar 55mm f1.8 and took them out for a day trip.... and fell in love with it...

so much so, I bought a dedicated camera body, slapped the adapter on it and made that body my dedicated M42 mount - no more fiddling with adapters, on and off of lenses, etc....

M42 lenses is such a wide array of possibilities for me - I am not a zoom shooter at all, so only primes... but that's where the action is at with M42 lenses anyways...

here is an idea of what I've found in M42 lenses:

M42 | Flickr
10-22-2019, 04:00 PM - 1 Like   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paulh Quote
Drop in on the Takumar Club if you need more convincing
I will certainly be doing that.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:01 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Why not? Because if used on other than an M42 film body, they are a royal pain as far as work flow. Full manual aperture and even using the A/M switch simply |multiple expletives deleted|. (Insert a note of indulgence here for native pre-set aperture lenses where usage, even when adapted to another mount, is generally fast and intuitive, assuming the mechanism is in good repair and adequately lubricated.)
To qualify the above a bit, I have several M42 lenses that I acquired specifically for rendering qualities that I deemed desirable despite any inconvenience in actual use.
Yes, this is exactly it. I'm willing to put up with the 'pain' to get something special. Great food for thought, thanks!

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:03 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Using second-hand M42 prime lenses has allowed me to expand my horizons to places I would only have dreamed of had I restricted myself to more modern lenses! What price "triplet bokeh" if it wasn't for the ubiquitous Domiplan?
OK, now I have to find out what triplet bokeh is. And a Domiplan. (Is that an ancient Roman emperor?)

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:07 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Qman Quote
There are certainly lots of M42 lenses that will give you a unique rendering that you won't see on more modern lenses. From my collection the Takumar 200mm f3.5 and 35mm f2.3 are lots of fun to use and give a special look. I also enjoy the extra input involved in using a pre-select lens, and the manual focusing on the 200mm f3.5 is a tactile pleasure. I don't have personal experience with any of the wider lenses, but my understanding is that the wider Takumars aren't that special. Perhaps there are other brands that are better choices in the 24 to 28mm range. There are two downsides using the M42's. First, flare resistance is generally much worse than newer coated lenses. Second, it's a pain to switch between M42 and K mount lenses when you're out in the field.
This is helpful, thanks. I'll def. check out the sample archives to make sure I can find the look I'm after. And thanks for the heads up about switching lenses. If I'm just going out hiking, I usually take only one or two lenses anyway, so maybe not so big of an issue, but it's still good to know.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Of the non-Tak m42 lenses, the Helios 44M-4 (58/2) is cheap and fun and has a cult following, as does the Jupiter-9 85/2 to a lesser degree.
A really interesting 24mm is the Tamron Adaptall-2 01BB 24/2.5. The corners never get particulary sharp, but the center has a smooth/sharp vibe wide open and is a good lens for shooting things, as opposed to landscape-ish stuff.
Oh, no, more choices! I'll check those out; maybe the 85 would be a good option. I noticed what you're saying about shooting things vs landscapes and the 3D look. My 50 does 3D really well in the 10-15 ft range, but that kind of fades out closer to infinity. At least, so far as my experience goes. I'm still learning that lens.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
If you find the rendering style of modern lenses too clinical then eventually you'll go looking for more characterful alternatives. That will inevitably lead you to manual focus legacy lenses, and ultimately you'll settle on the ones that give you the rendering you want. If it turns out that M42 lenses are the ones that get you closest to your preferred look you'll accept their handling quirks at first as a price you have to pay, but then in the end those quirks will become a fundamental part of the pleasure of shooting with those lenses. And after that there's no hope for you -- just surrender to your fate and sign up to the Takumar Club.
Well put. I think I'm a goner.

---------- Post added 10-22-19 at 04:12 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
here is an idea of what I've found in M42 lenses: M42 | Flickr
I really enjoyed your album. There are some really nice shots in there. I noticed some of that 3D look even in your street scenes. I don't think I'd get that out of my zoom, not by a long shot. Thanks for sharing those!
10-22-2019, 04:17 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I use a bunch of Fujinon M42 glass, why - because it's a money savor and they handle most jobs fairly well. The M42 glass may be outclassed by newer lenses, but that doesn't mean they can't render decent images at a budget price.

Why not? That's on you, I see NO why nots on my end.

Pentax KP and Fujinon 55mm macro EBC

10-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Why not? 3rd party M42 mount's are plentyful & cheap online (ebay, keh, etc.).
10-22-2019, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There are 3 main reasons for M42 for me: Helios 44-2, Zeiss Pancolar with 8 bladed aperture, and the Takumar 35mm/2.3. The 8-element 50 is also nice
10-22-2019, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One good reason for M42: Takumars! The build quality of the Takumars is outstanding. I picked up a mid 1960's Tak 50 that looks like new for next to nothing (estate sale).

Here are a few albums for the two Tak 50's I picked up.

Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 7-Element | Flickr

Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4 8-Element | Flickr
10-22-2019, 06:27 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 7.62lew Quote
Here are a few albums for the two Tak 50's I picked up.
If I didn't already have a nice fast 50, I think one of those, or the 55 /1.8 would be first in line. Great sample photos, thanks for sharing! (As an aside, I saw you have an album of the North Carolina. I'd like to visit her someday; she looks very well cared-for.)
10-22-2019, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I should probably elaborate a bit on my previous comment. For sure, I believe the inconvenience of using adapted M42 may well eclipse the joy of ownership and any unique qualities the lens may represent. That is particularly true when adapting a Super/S-M-C/SMC Takumar lens when the same optics are readily available in a Pentax-K equivalent. For example, I own two ST 55/1.8, both in excellent condition, but have never taken either for a spin on the K-3; the reason being that I have a Pentax-K 55/1.8 that much easier to shoot with on account of auto aperture actuation.

That being said, I will confess to truly being a big fan of M42 glass. I currently have about two dozen examples in a good range of focal lengths, several of which I don't own in Pentax-K. This last spring, I did about half my tulip shots with an Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4 and was pleased to see one of those be "explored" on Flickr. A few months ago when I needed a shortish tele for a product shot, I reached for my Vivitar 135/2.8 in M42 and it worked great for the task. Would I take the same lens to cover a bike race? Sure you jest! Would I use the same lens on my Spotmatic II to cover a bike race? Sure! Why not? I shot snowboarders on Mt. Hood with a Pentax SV + ST 28/3.5, after all.

Steve