Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2019, 10:59 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Tamron vs Sigma 70-200 and WR zoom lenses

I apologize for the title since I have 2 questions in fact, they’re not relevant to each others but I don’t want to spam with 2 separated posts. Here you go:

- I read frequently the mentioning of “soaking in water” when it comes to discussion of non internal zoom lenses with WR. What does that mean exactly? I have the 16-85, 20-40 and 55-300, all WR, all extend when zooming especially the 16-85 and 55-300, can I use them confidently under heavy rain? Do they “soak in” water?

- Speaking about internal zoom, I bought the 50-135 a few months ago, and aside from image quality, that feature is really amazing. It doesn’t account for a big part of my photos but I usually travel with it for telephoto need. Now I wish to have a longer lens with preferably no downgrade in IQ and aperture, as my daughter is now 5, and she’s starting to have performance e.g music, school etc and 135mm is really short. The DA 200 and 300 are not in my shortlist because I don’t shoot telephoto frequently, a prime would be too rigid for me. So obviously the three 70-200 2.8 musketeers (Pentax, Tamron and Sigma) come into picture. The Pentax is out, I hear lots of praise for its IQ and build but 1xxx euros and almost 2 kg for this small purpose is very luxury. Among the other 2 what do you think could be more suitable for my use assuming I could get them used for similar price? There is also a possibility I don’t really like them (generally I don’t like big and heavy lenses) and find them not that useful, so if I find the need to sell after a few months, which one has a better resale value?

Sorry for long post and thank you for your help.

10-23-2019, 01:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’ve never heard the ‘soaking in water ‘ phrase so not sure what it means. I’ve had the 18-135 out in heavy rain many times with no ill effect. I do wipe it down when I come inside.

On your second question I don’t think any lenses have a good resale now, unless they are an older classic and somewhat rare lens. I would check the Marketplace sold forum for recent prices and also ebay sold prices. If you just need one for an event or short period, rent one.
10-23-2019, 02:34 AM   #3
Bui
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
In fact I read somewhere mentioning that, when you zoom out a WR lens like the 18-135 or 16-85 during the rain, the inner barrel will get wet, and if you zoom in, it can bring water/moisture into the lens. While that totally makes sense, I would assume the lens design will have some kind of seals to prevent that moisture from actually get inside the lens. But my knowledge on this is very limited, and I just want to know whether I can use my 16-85 under light to normal rain without being paranoid about it getting destroyed? :-)
10-23-2019, 03:03 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

on any questions regarding lenses

I start by seeing what there is on the forums under " lenses ":

from 2016

QuoteQuote:
in this 15-page review we will look in detail at the HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm, covering all its physical characteristics, features and controls, as well as fundamental aspects of its optical performance. We also perform a direct optical and real-world comparison between the Pentax lens and the Tamron 70-200mm. How good is the D FA* lens alongside its main competitor?
Read more at: HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

QuoteQuote:
Current 70-200mm Lenses
Let us stress a point right at the beginning : there is currently no "bad" 70-200mm lens on the market. While there will be optical differences, these lenses are all high-quality, suitable for enthusiasts and professionals alike. They are all constant aperture, either F2.8 or F4. When a lens exists both with or without image stabilization, only the stabilized version was listed in order to make comparison more accurate with the Pentax system. Similarly, only the most recent version of a lens was included.

We hesitate to include the DA* 60-250mm from Pentax in this comparison, since it is an APS-C only lens (unless you modify it). This lens compares favorably with the F4 products from other manufacturers, offering a comparable body size and linger range, but is not officially FF. It was included because with Pentax's current customer base, the 70-200mm is likely to be used both on FF and APS-C.
Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/hd-pentax-d-fa-star-70-200mm-f28/vs-oth...#ixzz63AhKHe9g

from 2011

QuoteQuote:
Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax
70-200mm Sigma & Tamron
There is one lens question that never ceases to be asked on our forum, and that is: "Which zoom should I get for sports for my Pentax DSLR?". Why is this the case, you might ask? Well, it turns out that there's a big gap in the Pentax lens lineup: no fast telephoto zooms that are appropriate for sports are currently available from Pentax.

Read more at: Fast Sports Zoom Lenses for Pentax Review - 70-200mm Sigma & Tamron | PentaxForums.com Reviews

user reviews

Tamron 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/sigma-70-200mm-f2-8-ex-dg-os-hsm.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-23-2019 at 03:53 AM.
10-23-2019, 03:32 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are effective seals on the barrels that prevent gross moisture ingress, but it would be prudent to not challenge them with anything other than surface rain water. Wipe them down when possible and don't repeatedly wind wet barrels in and out.

The lens also acts like a small pump when extending and contracting the lens, so moving humid air in and out of the body.

The system is designed to work in rainy conditions, so be wary but not paranoid about it.

Can't help on the 70-200s, sorry.
10-23-2019, 06:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did this research a few year ago. This were some of the observations:
Sigma 70-200 (non macro - first versions) - the sharpest
Tamron 70-200 - the quickest at focusing

I have never tried the newer Sigmas, but I prefer the old one over the tamron. I know a lot of people love the tamron so I am sure it is a great lens too.
10-23-2019, 06:26 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bui Quote
- I read frequently the mentioning of “soaking in water” when it comes to discussion of non internal zoom lenses with WR. What does that mean exactly? I have the 16-85, 20-40 and 55-300, all WR, all extend when zooming especially the 16-85 and 55-300, can I use them confidently under heavy rain? Do they “soak in” water?
The lenses are WR. So they're well protected against water ingress.

But they're not perfect, so water CAN get it. Pumping on the zoom under heavy rain is always a small risk.

That being said, you're better off with Pentax than just about any other brand regarding this...

- Speaking about internal zoom, I bought the 50-135 a few months ago, and aside from image quality, that feature is really amazing. It doesn’t account for a big part of my photos but I usually travel with it for telephoto need. Now I wish to have a longer lens with preferably no downgrade in IQ and aperture, as my daughter is now 5, and she’s starting to have performance e.g music, school etc and 135mm is really short. The DA 200 and 300 are not in my shortlist because I don’t shoot telephoto frequently, a prime would be too rigid for me. So obviously the three 70-200 2.8 musketeers (Pentax, Tamron and Sigma) come into picture. The Pentax is out, I hear lots of praise for its IQ and build but 1xxx euros and almost 2 kg for this small purpose is very luxury. Among the other 2 what do you think could be more suitable for my use assuming I could get them used for similar price? There is also a possibility I don’t really like them (generally I don’t like big and heavy lenses) and find them not that useful, so if I find the need to sell after a few months, which one has a better resale value?
The two lenses (Sigma and Tamron) are, essentially, comparable. Both in size, IQ, weight, etc.

If you do not need F2.8, I would suggest you have a look at the Pentax 60-250. It is one stop slower, has good but not amazing AF speed, and is not internal zoom, but apart from that it's a superb performer, one of my favourite lenses (and I own quite a few good ones). It's WR of course, can be had used for a very good price, and is more compact than any of the 70-200mm.
10-23-2019, 08:18 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The lenses are WR. So they're well protected against water ingress.

But they're not perfect, so water CAN get it. Pumping on the zoom under heavy rain is always a small risk.

That being said, you're better off with Pentax than just about any other brand regarding this...
What he said ^ ^ ^

As with the camera seals, good sense is your first defense against water incursion.

Steve

(...has no sealed lenses and shoots in the wet often enough...how does that work?)

10-23-2019, 09:22 AM   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 Macro. I use it with the Tamron 1.4 TC. Let me be clear, it is a heavy lens! However, I always use it handheld with great results. It is my most used lens, as my priority is wildlife/birds.

I would not take it out in wet conditions; rather use even a plastic bag to cover it to protect it. There are many ready made rain covers available from many sources, for little cost.

I can't speak about the Sigma or the Pentax, as I've not even seen one, let alone use them.
10-23-2019, 09:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Have you considered buying used? You could use the lens for a month or two and probably sell it for the amount you paid. Used prices don't seem to be changing much for these lenses. The Sigma hasn't been manufactured for years, and the Tamron has been around for quite a while. The Pentax seems to hold it's value pretty well.
10-23-2019, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As with the camera seals, good sense is your first defense against water incursion.

Steve

(...has no sealed lenses and shoots in the wet often enough...how does that work?)
I take, and recommend to the OP, the same precautions with both WR and non-WR equipment - which is to say, treat everything as non-WR and keep it as dry and/or clean as possible without shying away from shooting and capturing the moment. Wipe gear down frequently to prevent build up of standing water and dust. Treat WR designation merely as added insurance against water and dust ingress, and understand that there is always some risk, even with WR gear...
10-24-2019, 04:00 AM   #12
Bui
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your comment. I live in an area where we usually have the sun for more than 300 days per year, but whenever I travel, there are always at least 1 or 2 rainy days involved, that's why WR becomes important for me. My KP and 20-40 pair has been taken to various places under various rain, still fine, but the (more recent acquisition) 16-85 and 55-300 extend much more, hence the question. I guess they should be fine :-) the 70-200 will be occasionally used, and it will not travel with me, so non WR is fine. I think I will get myself a (used) Tamron.