Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 02:02 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

To play Devil's Advocate for a moment, the Pentax-DFA 15-30 might be a good solution. Sure, it's autofocus and not cheap, but it's weather resistant and you only need one lens.

Sell it when you finish your project. Or rent it if that's an option.

10-24-2019, 03:20 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
I won't know exactly which focal length I'll need until the last second. That's why I wanted the 3, so that I could choose at the last minute. Im not entirely opposed to the 15-30 or a zoom, but it's certainly more expensive than I was looking to pay, as well as the fact that this lens may not survive the project, so I don't want to drop loads of money on one.
Keep in mind, you can always crop from a wider lens to achieve an effect of a longer focal length (given some image quality reduction dependent on the lens and camera), but not the other way around. If you have any doubts, go wider so you have all the important picture elements included in the shot.
10-24-2019, 03:39 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The Sigma 12-24 may fit your bill. There's one on Ebay now (no affiliation with the seller).

Used Pentax Sigma 12-24Mm F / 4.5-5.6 Ex Dg Lens-4340 Freeshipping *Hjd8714 | eBay
10-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by motorhead9999 Quote
this lens may not survive the project, so I don't want to drop loads of money on one.
I missed this little detail; what on earth do you have planned?

Anyway, it's very well made and weatherproof. If anything can survive, this lens has a sporting chance.

10-24-2019, 07:18 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If it weren't for the survivability aspect, I'd say the 15-30. If you're looking for disposable, then I'd say check out the Rokinon/Samyang/Bower labels for what's on sale, and buy them from someplace like B&H and just exchange them until you get good copies.
11-05-2019, 01:11 PM   #21

14mm: I've got the Samyang and the Sigma and it's a no brainer - the Samyang is much, much better. It's a very nice lens and not too expensive.

20mm: I've never really had a 20mm prime I got on with (and I haven't had that many) so instead I cover that with zooms, The main one I use is the Tokina ATX-Pro 20-35mm F2.8 but the cheaper Tokina 19-35 is also quite decent. For APS-C I have the Sigma 10-20mm and found that pretty good.

24mm: The FA* 24mm F2 is lovely and I really which I'd kept mine - sadly I sold it when I went APS-C although if I still had it then it'd be getting a lot of use now I have a K1. Instead I now have the Sigma 24mm f1.8 which I do like, however I find use the 24mm end of my Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 a lot more than I use the prime.