Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2019, 11:53 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Can I still get my 50-135mm fungus fixed?

Hi. Is it still possible to save this lens by putting it in a dry cabinet? Does it look like fungus to you? Do I have to take out the clean lens and cameras before putting this in the cabinet? Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
View Picture EXIF
 Photo 
10-25-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ouch. That is extensive fungus!

I have heard of some people using UV light to kill the fungus. Of course, that does nothing to remove it, and can possibly bleach the inside of the barrel.

I have a small spot on the edge of a DA 70 Ltd that I bought from a region where it is a little more humid. I blasted it with a few hours of UV (not sure if effective, but I wanted to try), and it hasn't grown. I live in a very dry climate though.

Problem is, I believe that the fungus may eat the coating too?
10-25-2019, 01:29 AM   #3

Does look like fungus to me.. my experience is that yes- it can be saved, but the longer the fungus has been there, the more chance you have it eats into the coating. if that happens, there is a chance there will be permanent marks on the lens coating.
I doubt the fungus will disappear when placing in a dry cabinet/uv light - that will likely only stop the growth. i've once cleaned out a takumar 135 by taking the affected lense elements out and cleaning them with a hydrogen peroxide solution. worked like a charm.
10-25-2019, 02:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That looks to be on one of the front elements. Shouldn’t be too hard to remove that element and clean it properly.

10-25-2019, 04:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Flipside Quote
Does look like fungus to me.. my experience is that yes- it can be saved, but the longer the fungus has been there, the more chance you have it eats into the coating. if that happens, there is a chance there will be permanent marks on the lens coating.
I doubt the fungus will disappear when placing in a dry cabinet/uv light - that will likely only stop the growth. i've once cleaned out a takumar 135 by taking the affected lense elements out and cleaning them with a hydrogen peroxide solution. worked like a charm.
A dry cabinet will only halt the growth, fungi are pretty resistant. UV can kill it and more or less stop it from growing again, but you're right that it won't dispose of the body and definitely won't make it look like an accident, either. Hydrogen peroxide will work wonders for removal but I am not sure about the interaction with the more modern lens coatings of a DA lens.

On another note, I thought the synthetic oil on modern lenses (as opposed to good old grease) was very resistant to fungus!
10-25-2019, 05:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That looks pretty ugly. Let the lens get some sun light and put it in a dry environment for a few hours so that it doesn't spread more (provided it is still alive). Unfortunately you will have to get the lens serviced in order to get rid of the fungus traces. They may have even etched the coatings
10-25-2019, 06:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you diy the cleaning I think the cost of service may exceed the cost of a used replacement.
10-25-2019, 03:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Fungus is everywhere all the time, so one obviously damaged lens won't "infect" others.
Plain sunlight or UV light will kill anything still alive.
Often when you see the "body" like that, the fungus is already dead.
Unless you can do-it-yourself or have a local shop that will clean it inexpensively (that is, TRY to if the lens surface isn't etched), I agree with Uncle Vanya. It is expensive to send for official service.

Try to shoot with it and see what your results are. Front element damage isn't often readily apparent in images. Just depends on the angle of the light, many times.

10-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good camera repairman will disassemble the lens and clean the affected elements with alcool. This should be easy to fix. I once received an MD 100-300 mm f/5.6 Minolta zoom lens badly stained with fungus and it came back like new again.