Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #1

mm for shooting the moon

Hi!! I am considering starting shooting the moon with film. I would like some suggestion about lenses! Budget up to 150 euro. Thanks!!!

10-26-2019, 12:27 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not familiar with shooting with film, but imagine there will be some suggestions to follow.

In the meanwhile, you could visit the moon thread, and check out some shots. Most photos have the settings, including lens used.

Show me your ......MOON ! - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by Riggomatic; 10-26-2019 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Extra word deleted
10-27-2019, 11:50 AM   #3

It depends on how much detail you want to get. Based on my experiments with film, you'll see a decent image at 400mm or so, but the lunar disk will still only cover about 10% of the width of the frame. If you want to see more craters and such, you'll need more magnification.

Teleconverters can give you more magnification, but they can also cause some loss of sharpness.

One thing that can help your lunar photography is that the full moon can be exposed like any other object in full sunlight, so handheld photography at high shutter speeds is possible. The Sunny 16 Rule is a getting starting point and has served me well. Naturally, you'll need longer exposures in other situations like thin crescents, lunar eclipses, etc. That is when a sturdy tripod is a necessity; long lenses will magnify any vibration they encounter.

As for specific lens recommendations, Pentax's newest long lenses are out of your specified price range, but ebay has some possibilities: Lenses in Compatible Brand:For Pentax, Type:Telephoto, Mount:Pentax K, Focal Length:300mm|350mm|360mm|400mm|450mm|560mm|600mm|800mm|1200mm|1000mm | eBay
10-27-2019, 12:58 PM   #4

Just one or two quick remarks - beware of "zooming" in too far! You'll get annoyed with the moon leaving the frame too fast between exposures and will have to keep adjusting your tripod (I assume). That said, $150 probably doesn't put you at risk of that, although mirror lenses can be surprisingly affordable.

10-29-2019, 02:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi! Thanks for your response! I found a Tokina RMC 500mm F/8 Pentax PK Mount and Vivitar 500mm/1000mm f/8 Telephoto.

Last edited by dimxatzis; 10-29-2019 at 02:59 AM.
10-29-2019, 02:13 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by dimxatzis Quote
Hi! Thanks for your response! I found a Tokina RMC 500mm F/8 Pentax PK Mount and Vivitar 500mm/1000mm f/8 Telephoto.
Sounds like you have what you need to get started. Good luck with your lunar photography!
10-29-2019, 03:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be wary, mirror lenses aren't always the sharpest or easiest to focus. I have a 500mm f/8 Rokinon mirror lens and my moon shots (at least in brief tests) weren't any better than cropping with a 55-300 zoom. I don't know about film, but I got better shots at 300mm with pixel shift than with the mirror lens.
10-30-2019, 12:07 PM   #8

Get a telescope would be my feeling. Unless you just looking for the moon to appear as a background to landscapes its always going to be tiny in most lenses. I'd probably get a good shot with my 2700mm scope but never tried it.

10-30-2019, 02:30 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
Get a telescope would be my feeling. Unless you just looking for the moon to appear as a background to landscapes its always going to be tiny in most lenses. I'd probably get a good shot with my 2700mm scope but never tried it.
Can I attach SLR on telescope? And the budget ??
11-01-2019, 01:49 PM   #10

You can get a K-mount adapter that will fit in your telescope in place of an eyepiece. Everything will be totally manual and you'll need to ensure that your telescope is stable and tracking stars properly.
11-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The short answer is yes, if you have a ‘good’ telescope... I cannot attach a camera to my $20 yard sale telescope, for example...

The budget depends largely on how much budget you had for the telescope... the adapters are inexpensive, but a good telescope is not

You will probably have better luck sourcing a lens with your budget than a good telescope that would work with your camera...

-Eric
11-02-2019, 03:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Rule of thumb : diameter of the full moon (or sun) on the sensor is 1% of the focal length.
11-02-2019, 08:39 PM   #13

I was thinking about this thread overnight and have a few thoughts to share:

If you're shooting the moon with a 500mm lens, you'll probably want to use a sturdy tripod. You can shoot the full moon handheld because it's so bright, but any crescent moon will require slower shutter speeds or very high ISO settings due to its being considerably dimmer. If you go with the slower shutter speeds, you don't want your shutter speeds to be too low because a highly-magnified moon will start to blur as it moves through the sky. I would guess that anything longer than a second could be asking for trouble.

As for using a telescope, you can use a T-Mount to attach your camera to a telescope. You'll need both a T-adapter to go where you would normally insert an eyepiece into the telescope's body, and a T-ring to connect your camera to the T-adapter. Both of these accessories are fairly inexpensive.

However, one thing you will discover is that a cheap telescope makes for poor photographs. I have a 20-year-old inexpensive Celestron reflector that is obviously in need of a mirror adjustment, so my test photos with it today were lacking in sharpness and color accuracy. If you happen to have a good telescope already, you're ahead of the game; otherwise, TwoUptons is correct in that the money in your budget would be better spent on a decent lens.

In addition, your telescope will need a sturdy base, one that can dampen vibrations from both the telescope itself and the camera with the flapping mirror in its body. If your film camera does mirror lockup, I would recommend using that feature.

I hope this helps.