Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 07:26 AM - 1 Like   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DOF scale on the lens is probably as good as anything on a film camera. On Pentax digital, optical DOF preview should work the same as on an auto-focus lens. Back to the first point; while many cameras feature DOF preview, what is shown is not strictly accurate with variables including viewfinder magnification and focus screen characteristics. In general, the viewfinder will exaggerate available DOF. As a result, your results on the negative will likely have shallower DOF than what appeared in the viewfinder.

That said, all of my 35mm SLR cameras do feature DOF preview and lack of the feature is one of the reasons why I opted for a Ricoh XR7 over the Pentax ME Super back in 1982. Is it something I use? To be honest, not so much. I pretty much know what to expect before I put the camera to eye, based on experience. I know, that experience is hard to come by without DOF preview. That being the case, the argument for a camera that has the feature is as strong today as in 1982. In Pentax K-mount filmland, the easiest route might be K2, KX, KM, MX, Program Plus/Program A, or Super Program/Super A.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 10-28-2019 at 07:36 AM.
10-28-2019, 01:56 PM   #17
Pentaxian

One of the reasons I bought a Super Program body to supersede my ME Super body was to gain access to the DOF preview feature. I don't use it all the time, but it's good to have around when you want a better idea of what will be in focus in your image.