Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Old Vivitar 28/2.8

Hi! I'm just dusting off my KX after 20-some years and am about to run my first roll through it, in an effort to recapture my wasted youth. Most of my lenses have been scattered to the wind, but along with the trusty 50/1.7 on the camera, I found my old Vivitar 28mm -- the first new lens I bought and all I could afford. Back in The Day, we called 'em Fuzzitars, but the pics were good enough for my student projects.

With history's hindsight, how are these old Vivitars regarded today? Are they decent, or should I be seeking out a genuine SMC 28?

Thanks
Aaron

10-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Check this post I did a while back about my Vivitar 28 f2.8 test in a digital body. I haven't used it in a film body. I would say they are decent but behind your 50/1.7 which is my favorite formula. However, the best way to tell about your specific copy is to test it. Run a roll and see how it performs.

Getting the most out of a $25 Vivitar 28mm lens - PentaxForums.com

Thanks,
10-28-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Depends on who made it really.

Vivitar serial numbers - Camera-wiki.org - The free camera encyclopedia

Great Vivitar 28mm Bestiary

Vivitar Lenses for Pentax: Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
10-28-2019, 05:10 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ah, very cool! The serial number begins with a 9 -- so Cosina (thanks, boriscleto, and by the way I was born in Syracuse). It was not stored properly and has a *lot* of dust on it, but I'm hoping I can get it cleaned up and will find no scratches. I'll shoot some pics with it and we'll see how it looks. I'd rather have better optics, but the whole idea of getting out the old camera is to get back to my roots...and these are my roots.

10-28-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had the 02-B adaptall but recently sold it in favor of my Rikenon XR 28mm lens.
I also have the SMC- A , SMC-K , and Takumar versions and they all perform similar.
In the 28mm lineup there is LOTS to choose from for under $30.
Give it a try and see what happens !
10-29-2019, 05:30 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I’d suggest you clean it up and go shooting. If it’s terrible, you can chalk it up to your wasted youth and move on to something else. If it’s great, you can compliment your youthful self on a wise purchasing decision

The ‘worst’ thing that could happen is you could end up with a closet full of all the gear you wanted when you were young...

More seriously, if you enjoy using the old gear, it probably could do with a ‘clean, lube, and adjust’ (CLA) including new light seals...

-Eric