Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2019, 06:51 PM   #1

Securing an m42 adapter to a lens

Hi everyone

I have a 135/2.8 lens that it's nice for me, but i didn't really use it that much due to it being m42. I already had to dremel down the adapter to be able to focus to indinity (despite being the type that supposedly allowed to focus to infinity) and now it's nice at where it should be. The thing is, i don't own any m42 lens and i don't plan either, so i'd like to know if someone did secure one of those adapters semipermanently onto a lens.
I'd like to avoid any use of adhesive, or whatever that implies using my k-5 for something, as right now i can put it in and out without any problem, but i don't want to damage my camera locking the adapter to the lens.

10-28-2019, 06:59 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
sell it and buy the k-mount version...
10-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
sell it and buy the k-mount version...
It will probably be hard to buy the K version of a 70's lens whose company is no longer in business.
10-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CapitanXeon Quote
It will probably be hard to buy the K version of a 70's lens whose company is no longer in business.

or you could continue to be mysterious and not tell us what lens it is....

10-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi everyone

I have a 135/2.8 lens that it's nice for me, but i didn't really use it that much due to it being m42. I already had to dremel down the adapter to be able to focus to indinity (despite being the type that supposedly allowed to focus to infinity) and now it's nice at where it should be. The thing is, i don't own any m42 lens and i don't plan either, so i'd like to know if someone did secure one of those adapters semipermanently onto a lens.
I'd like to avoid any use of adhesive, or whatever that implies using my k-5 for something, as right now i can put it in and out without any problem, but i don't want to damage my camera locking the adapter to the lens.
I have several lenses that I have bonded an infinity adaptor to. It is critical to remove that little spring otherwise the lens will be irretrievably locked on to your camera. Downside to removing the spring is the lens is no longer locked at all on to your camera. I have regrets gluing the adaptor on as often the non infinity adaptor is more appropriate for general use.
10-28-2019, 09:10 PM   #6

What am I missing? You say you have a 135/2.8 m42 lens and then you say you don't own or plan to own any m42 lenses. Is it borrowed?

The only way to attach the adapter semi-permanently is to either use a "breakable" adhesive like a thread locker or to add grub or set screws to the adapter. These will mark and damage wherever they contact the lens, i.e. the mount threads.

And something is wrong with either the lens or the adapter if you had to modify the adapter to get infinity focus if it is a non-flanged (lock spring type) adapter.
10-28-2019, 09:13 PM   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
And something is wrong with either the lens or the adapter if you had to modify the adapter to get infinity focus if it is a non-flanged (lock spring type) adapter.
Or the lens needs adjustment.

10-29-2019, 01:56 AM   #8

Morning Captain, I asked the same thing - I think - earlier I’m the week:

Modifying an M42 to K adapter - PentaxForums.com
10-29-2019, 02:03 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
or you could continue to be mysterious and not tell us what lens it is....
It's a Photax-Paragon 135mm F2.8 prime, but either this lens, or the Helios 44M-4 that did recently break on me, used the m42 adapter. As i'm not really planning on repairing the Helios, i'm just looking to use what i already have. Sorry for having bills to pay and not willing to spend money on something i already have.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
I have several lenses that I have bonded an infinity adaptor to. It is critical to remove that little spring otherwise the lens will be irretrievably locked on to your camera. Downside to removing the spring is the lens is no longer locked at all on to your camera. I have regrets gluing the adaptor on as often the non infinity adaptor is more appropriate for general use.
Yep, i lost the spring anyway while adjusting the adapter so that's something i already accepted. Not too well, not too bad, but the spring isn't already there. I might just poke a hole on the lens to make it latch with the K mount pin and somewhat lock it

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
What am I missing? You say you have a 135/2.8 m42 lens and then you say you don't own or plan to own any m42 lenses. Is it borrowed?

The only way to attach the adapter semi-permanently is to either use a "breakable" adhesive like a thread locker or to add grub or set screws to the adapter. These will mark and damage wherever they contact the lens, i.e. the mount threads.

Yes, i don't plan to own more m42 lenses that i already do, but this lens is solely mine. I might look into a thread locker, as i can break this bond with my extension tubes if needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Or the lens needs adjustment.
When i got the adapter, both lenses wouldn't really focus to infinity, but while on a MZ-50 body (plastic mount) would be almost spot on, looks like my K-5 has a thicker mount or whatever and wasn't able to focus to infinity. Also the adapter was visibly not flush with the camera, so i went ahead and dremeled the heck out of it, and it worked fine.
10-29-2019, 02:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have secured it semipermanently by simply screwing it on rather tightly. The thing has never come off my super tak. No need for glue etc. as far as I'm concerned.
10-29-2019, 03:03 AM   #11
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

It's a Photax-Paragon 135mm F2.8 prime, but either this lens, or the Helios 44M-4 that did recently break on me, used the m42 adapter. As i'm not really planning on repairing the Helios, i'm just looking to use what i already have. Sorry for having bills to pay and not willing to spend money on something i already have.

just trying to help - perhaps there was an easier way to make this work rather than this way....
10-29-2019, 04:34 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Be careful. A dremeled adapter can grind on your camera's mount if it was done on any of the surfaces that contact it. It should have a mirror finish on those surfaces.
If the lens was used on Russian cameras, a sanded down flanged adapter works wonders since the FFD was a bit longer on them.
Just use a very, very small (tip of a toothpick) amount of thread locker. And fasten it tight. That should be enough to keep it in place and easy to remove and clean anytime in the future.