Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to qualify a used lens?

I received a lens from KEH. I've read about shooting a brick wall and looking for blurry spots. Any other techniques you use?

11-02-2019, 12:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I added "make sure it focuses to infinity" after taking my new acquisition on vacation and discovering that it didn't.
11-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

make sure that the aperture works with every mode of your camera

take photos under all conditions you expect to encounter

if there were any " in depth " reviews of the lens see if you can duplicate what was done

as an example look at this

Pentax-DA 15mm F4 Limited Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews
11-02-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

depending upon the lens (AF or MF, etc), I do a walkabout and see if the normal things I shoot look normal...

11-02-2019, 01:50 PM - 3 Likes   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I have a really simple technique...take pictures with it and see if I'm happy.
11-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Check optics: Shoot with the aperture wide open. The brick wall can help find misaligned lenses. Are all corners equally sharp? Note that some lens designs have slightly soft corners wide open; consider what others have said about the lens before concluding a specific copy is defective.

Check aperture for slow/sticky blades: Flick the aperture lever (if equipped) while the lens is off camera to make sure things "feel okay". Shoot with the aperture stopped way down. If photos wide open are properly exposed, while stopped down gets overexposed, it could be an aperture issue.

Focus mechanism: Turn the manual focus ring to make sure things feel smooth and verify that the focus distance actually changes. Use autofocus (if equipped) on something far and near.
11-02-2019, 02:22 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A few things to check : a snappy aperture; smooth focus to infinity; smooth zoom; nothing crooked or loose; dust-free/fungus-free/haze-free optics; and no blurring on one side or the other of the frame

One issue is to have fair expectations about the lens. A lot of older lens show more aberrations, softness, and flare than the latest and greatest optics. It's not KEH's fault that the designers of yore lacked the exotic materials and aspheric elements used today. And a very old lens will inevitably have some internal dust, external scratches, etc. Checking Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database can give you some idea of how that lens can be expected to perform.

Have fun!

Last edited by photoptimist; 11-02-2019 at 02:32 PM.
11-02-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Oh, and don't forget to shoot the lens itself and post here for us!
11-02-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is a great place to tell us about it should you choose to do so

PentaxForums.com → Off-Topic Forums → General Talk → Your latest acquisition

Read more at: Your latest acquisition - PentaxForums.com
11-02-2019, 05:39 PM - 3 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
depending upon the lens (AF or MF, etc), I do a walkabout and see if the normal things I shoot look normal...
If they look normal, does that mean you’ve wasted your money and could have done it with what you already had?

-Eric
11-03-2019, 05:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Use the lens in a Single-in challenge. One photo each day for a month. It really is a great way to get to know a lens. If there is something really wrong, you will notice about day 5.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/groups/102-monthly-photo-challenges/
11-03-2019, 05:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian

I for one look at the mechanical aspects first (focus ring, aperture ring if it has one, iris). Then I look inside at the glass elements using a light, this was the sole reason for returning two of the lenses I ever had to return, they had a smudge of some sort (one brand new had a fingerprint...).

Then I take a few photos indoors, one focusing outside in the distance, see if they look fine. I don't pixel peep but if something's out of whack, I can tell. Perhaps as lenses get more and more sharp at f1.4, if I ever buy a DFA*, I'll need to do more controlled tests.