Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

from your DPR
QuoteQuote:
I like to expand the sources as much as possible... you will note the identical handle, personally I've not been impressed with the replies seriousness at Pentax forum. I want balanced opinions not: "anything made by pentax is better than canon" non-sense.
you ask a vague question and then you insult the forum when you get a vague result. boo hoo. seems like you know the FA31 is a good lens; the FA35 is really close in performance. the main criticism of the FA35 is the rough bokeh

Last edited by k100d; 10-18-2008 at 06:51 PM.
10-18-2008, 06:46 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote

You're asking the questions, if you can't handle the answers, then don't ask. James' reply is the same, as the evaluation from all the others in the thread.
You sound rather irrational to me. I'd ask that you please leave me alone. I simply stated that the language used does not jive with what I have observed nor others, regarding one lens.

Now if you feel my opinion is invalid because I only used a lens for 2 days, you are perfectly in your rights to do so, that is not a long time. However, I did not find it significantly better in that time.
10-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
I used to own the Canon 35/2 and I think its a pretty good lens for the money. Its small, light weight, and fast. It offers great performance for the money. It is one of the early EF designs, so the focusing is not as smooth, quick or as quiet as some of the newer lenses.
Thank you for this reply. It was the kind of talk I was interested in. Sorry you haven't had the DAs to give me some other data.
10-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Why not compare the Pentax 35mm F2 against the Canon 35mm F2?

Pentax:
Pentax SMC-FA 35mm f/2 AL - Review / Test Report

Canon:
Canon EF 35mm f/2 - Test Report / Review

Here's a hint - the Pentax is better...

I did that long before I ordered the 35mm 2.8 macro actually. But the photozone tests disagree with other tests like slrgear, and my own observations on a number of lens, so perhaps that points to copy variation or simply to them not being the best testers of lenses. Also they suggest lens are not comparable across groups, now I'm not sure that is completely true, but I suppose they do make a point that the body does play a role, but in the real world I'm going to have a different body in any case so perhaps it is still fair.

10-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
from your DPR
you ask a vague question and then you insult the forum when you get a vague result. boo hoo. seems like you know the FA31 is a good lens; the FA35 is really close in performance. the main criticism of the FA35 is the rough bokeh
To each their own... I do know the FA35 is quite good, and the FA31 is very good but too expensive for me. I suppose that really only leaves the DA40 and FA43? And I know they are good as well, but I don't know how much better and in what subtle ways they may be. Which is why I asked what I did. I'm sorry if you thought it was vague. But if you think someone reading into the language of a post and trying to ascertain bias, is an insult, then well.... I don't deliver an actual insult. But I hope you will leave me alone in the future....
10-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
But I hope you will leave me alone in the future....
no problem
10-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #22

Well after reading the lens reports on the old Canon EF 35/2 and the Pentax FA 35/2 I am not surprised that the Pentax is reported to be better. I am very much a Canon guy but I really believe in Pentax lenses. Well, some of them anyway. I think you should try the Pentax 35/2 and see how you like it. You might be able to find a good used one but at $300 brand new you can't go wrong.

As for me experiencing Pentax DA lenses or offering any experience or advice on them: sorry it will never happen as I will never buy any of these lenses. Why? Do I hate DA lenses? Not really. Its just that I will never buy any crop only lens made for specific crop bodies by any company, be it Pentax, Canon or Nikon etc...

Last edited by Photomaximum; 10-18-2008 at 07:26 PM.
10-18-2008, 07:30 PM   #23
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by drwho9437 Quote
To each their own... I do know the FA35 is quite good, and the FA31 is very good but too expensive for me. I suppose that really only leaves the DA40 and FA43? And I know they are good as well, but I don't know how much better and in what subtle ways they may be. Which is why I asked what I did. I'm sorry if you thought it was vague. But if you think someone reading into the language of a post and trying to ascertain bias, is an insult, then well.... I don't deliver an actual insult. But I hope you will leave me alone in the future....
You have to understand that some people is as sensitive as you are when talking about brand and products preferences. One of your first mistakes was to underestimate the familiarity of Roentarre (and from others) with Canon equipment. Obviously you dont know him but he is one of the most peaceful and respected members of the forum.THat means that some people that respect him might feel offended by your response to his post. As a jelous lurker I have visited is webpage cos it is a pleasure to see some of his pictures. If you do that you will find that he owns a bid deal of Canon equipment and hence you should reconsider the calification of fanboy. We could use a similar argument to yours providing the fact that you only answered possitively to the person that agrees with your initial argument of the EF35 f2 as a good performer. I could say then that you might work a little bit in the fanboy concept and you would feel offended with reason. So let us pass page and try to discuss in a civilized way.

In my particular case, I have used the EF35 as much as you used the Pentax 35 macro (a test run) and either the lens I tried was a dog or the lens itself is simply very limited (in the wrong way). Obviously, you and many others might have a different experience with the same lens. Now, besides the other recommendations I would recommend you to consider also the F or FA28 f2.8. It is quite sharp (you can see some data about it in Photodo). I have used the sigma 28 f1.8 also and if you find a good copy it is a very good and cheap option. The main problem that it has is the QC issues with BF/FF but in the K20d I guess that it can be solved with microadjustments.

I hope we can all have a peaceful discussion without stupid fanboy/troll arguments
10-20-2008, 01:47 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I have not used any of the fast DA, FA or Limited lenses but I bet I have owned and used more high end Pentax glass than 95% of the folks on this forum.
I don't quite understand this statement.
I'm curious, what ''high end'' pentax glass you owned that wasn't fast, fa or limited? I thought the high end stuff was/is the fast, fa's, da's and limiteds
10-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #25

Well since you asked...

I have owned and used all of the following:

20mm/2.8 "A" Series lens
28mm/2.8 "A" Series lens
40mm/2.8 Pancake lens
50mm/1.7 "M" Series lens
85mm/1.4 "A" Series lens
200mm/2.8 ED "A" Series lens
300mm/4.0 Green Star "A" Series lens
400mm/2.8 ED "A" Series lens

Max
10-20-2008, 04:49 PM   #26
Inactive Account

This thread is just..... Wow. <rolleyes>

c[_]
10-21-2008, 12:36 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Agreed coffee.
10-21-2008, 01:31 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Well since you asked...

I have owned and used all of the following:

20mm/2.8 "A" Series lens
28mm/2.8 "A" Series lens
40mm/2.8 Pancake lens
50mm/1.7 "M" Series lens
85mm/1.4 "A" Series lens
200mm/2.8 ED "A" Series lens
300mm/4.0 Green Star "A" Series lens
400mm/2.8 ED "A" Series lens

Max

"high end Pentax glass" = M*, A*, F*, FA*, DA*. Of these, you've used one.

Dun dun duuuun.
10-21-2008, 01:43 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

Dun dun duuuun.
I think the last four A lenses Max listed are all STAR lenses

Last edited by frank; 10-21-2008 at 01:49 AM.
10-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #30
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

Dun dun duuuun.
And you're so eager to judge others based on, let me guess, your extensive collection of Pentax * and limited glass, don't you?

Get real my friend,
Radu