Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I read threads like this, I'm reminded how good the AF is on my sub ƒ2 lenses. More light means better focusing. I wonder how much of the preference for these 1.8 lenses is that they are so often compared to slower glass, that may be hunting in low light and not actually nailing focus.

11-04-2019, 02:23 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bwgv001 Quote
Support Ricoh/Pentax, yourself and your wife, get another copy of a good lens that she likes (and you like), that covers a range that you have not yet coveed well.
I definitely appreciate your sentiments, but have already supported the Pentax brand by collecting well over 100 lenses, almost entirely Pentax and Zeiss. Actually, in a sense I am sacrificing the three amigos, three princesses (whatever term of affection one prefers) in order to shield my Zeiss lenses from her notice, nor has my wife begun eyeing my medium format collection!
11-04-2019, 06:35 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Da 40 xs might get the 31 back or the fa 35. Both are smaller and offer really good image quality. For that matter the da 70 might get the fa 77 back
11-04-2019, 07:18 PM   #34
Pentaxian

You have a hundred lenses and you're worried about your wife getting her hands on your Zeiss lenses? A few thoughts:

1. Super zooms have too many compromises to accommodate the extended zoom range; no wonder your wife was unhappy with her pictures after transitioning from a very good prime lens.
2. You have an embarrassment of good choices available to accommodate your wife's needs; we should all be so fortunate.
3. When you start talking about Pentax Limited primes and Zeiss lenses, you might be hitting the point of diminishing returns with regards to IQ--especially on a camera with a smaller sensor.
4. Do you really want to hide things from your wife? Things rarely go well when wives discover what's been happening--and they always do.

11-05-2019, 12:03 AM   #35
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
You have a hundred lenses and you're worried about your wife getting her hands on your Zeiss lenses? A few thoughts:

1. Super zooms have too many compromises to accommodate the extended zoom range; no wonder your wife was unhappy with her pictures after transitioning from a very good prime lens.
2. You have an embarrassment of good choices available to accommodate your wife's needs; we should all be so fortunate.
3. When you start talking about Pentax Limited primes and Zeiss lenses, you might be hitting the point of diminishing returns with regards to IQ--especially on a camera with a smaller sensor.
4. Do you really want to hide things from your wife? Things rarely go well when wives discover what's been happening--and they always do.
Thank you for your wise advice.
11-05-2019, 02:30 AM - 5 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you are just meant to listen to your wife, I don't think you are meant to solve the problem..... just listen and empathise...........

Last edited by noelpolar; 11-05-2019 at 02:35 AM.
11-05-2019, 05:00 AM   #37
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
Thank you for your wise advice.
Very polite response
QuoteQuote:
. . . You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

11-05-2019, 05:01 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Maybe you should return that lens and get the 16-85 or another good choice would be the 18-135. I have seen the shots of the 16-85 and I think it's better than the 18-135. However, the 18-135 is no slouch too.
11-05-2019, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
How to answer

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Very polite response
"A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger." -- Proverbs 15:1
11-05-2019, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote

I don't hide things from wife and half the time when I want a lens it's already in her bag. There are benefits both ways.
11-05-2019, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #41
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

My wife has been very good to me

allowing me to accumulate my small collection of new ( bought on sale ) and " experienced " equipment without problems

definitely not recommended to try to hide something

it just would not be worth it
11-05-2019, 04:11 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
My wife has been very good to me

definitely not recommended to try to hide something

it just would not be worth it
I might.... argh.... not so much hide stuff.... but carefully consider the most appropiate time for it's introduction to the broader family.

I guess it's a bit like deciding when to introduce your boy/girl friend to your parents when one was younger.... no point going through that if there isn't at least a chance of he/she/it being a keeper.
11-05-2019, 04:20 PM   #43
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

to clarify

each of us must choose their own course

and I did not mean to imply that my course should be followed by any one else

good luck to all
11-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I attempted to gradually introduce my KP, that didn’t end well despite my having the cost covered through sales. Honesty is always safest I love my 18-135 but I don’t like the zoom creep, it’s not great on mine. My favourites at the mo are my super cheap and light 50-200 wr and my 35mm and 21 mm limiteds.
11-05-2019, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #45
Forum Member

I envy you guys with wives that are interested in our hobby. My wife has a good eye for composition, but I doubt she will abandon her iphone at this point.