Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 41 Likes Search this Thread
11-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
I envy you guys with wives that are interested in our hobby. My wife has a good eye for composition, but I doubt she will abandon her iphone at this point.
Do a quick infrared, a longish shot wide open for some lovely isolation and a super bokeh shot. That’ll loosen her resolve to stick with the phone

11-05-2019, 05:19 PM - 2 Likes   #47
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
New lens for wife
I saw this thread title and thought it seemed a fine way to get some new glass... inexpensively using the wife as a trade in.

But apparently as I read on, this is not the case.
11-06-2019, 03:26 AM   #48
Pentaxian

You have to make your wife as a partner in photography. Team play is important between spouses. If you go out and shoot together, look at what she'd require normally and get her one. The next time you buy gears for you, she will have no complaints. If you don't, you won't see your favorite lens anymore as it will be glued to her camera.
11-06-2019, 04:02 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mrs Micro uses an iPhone 8, and she takes lots of photos. And, darnit, she has a better natural eye for a photo than I do, which is occasionally highly frustrating! I've succumbed to temptation and ordered a Pentax 100 hot shoe cover which she will no doubt immediately spot, but she tends to smile indulgently whenever I do something silly with buying something photographic. Let's see if she smiles so indulgently whe the K-New emerges!

11-06-2019, 05:34 AM   #50
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
You have to make your wife as a partner in photography.
Aye that'll be shiny bright...
11-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by totsmuyco Quote
You have to make your wife as a partner in photography. Team play is important between spouses. If you go out and shoot together, look at what she'd require normally and get her one. The next time you buy gears for you, she will have no complaints. If you don't, you won't see your favorite lens anymore as it will be glued to her camera.
Yes, we sort of do this. I love shooting, and she enjoys editing so I get lots of my work cleaned up nicely with her help/.
11-06-2019, 06:51 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, we sort of do this. I love shooting, and she enjoys editing so I get lots of my work cleaned up nicely with her help/.
Interesting, if my wife likes one of my shots, she'll take it and work on it to "clean it up." Must be a wife thing.

11-06-2019, 11:07 AM   #53
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Interesting, if my wife likes one of my shots, she'll take it and work on it to "clean it up." Must be a wife thing.
Wow, that's an excellent arrangement. My wife avoids the computer as much as she can.

As for the iphone, it'll be hard to get her away from it as her photos are primarily used to document our family life. The phone is admittedly excellent for that.
11-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lambic Quote
I envy you guys with wives that are interested in our hobby. My wife has a good eye for composition, but I doubt she will abandon her iphone at this point.
Careful what you wish
11-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Mrs Micro uses an iPhone 8, and she takes lots of photos. And, darnit, she has a better natural eye for a photo than I do, which is occasionally highly frustrating! I've succumbed to temptation and ordered a Pentax 100 hot shoe cover which she will no doubt immediately spot, but she tends to smile indulgently whenever I do something silly with buying something photographic. Let's see if she smiles so indulgently whe the K-New emerges!
I believe there's some truth in the fact that working with a single focal length improves the "eye" for photography - even if it's a phone. I've meant to do a one lens/one year project since I bought my Sigma 30 1.4 - but with my kids doing sports, it's not really viable. I need to think of a solution, like a "Single in Year" to at least make me shoot with a lens every day...
11-06-2019, 12:52 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No one seems to have asked the most basic question which is what is the OP's wife taking pictures of? If it is portraiture, the FA31 is going to be produce results closer to the FA77 having similar rendering. But finding an FA31 at a good price is another issue. The FA43 is nice and light and good for working in a crowd, but doesn't have the same pixie dust. On the other hand the FA43 is light and a good match to the K-01.
11-06-2019, 07:19 PM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

In my marriage, I take the pictures, my wife critiques the pictures, and--if necessary--I reshoot until she's happy with the pictures.
11-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ecostigny Quote
In my marriage, I take the pictures, my wife critiques the pictures, and--if necessary--I reshoot until she's happy with the pictures.
I'm sure this will give you the excuse to buy more gears. All you have to say is, "Honey I believe that that portrait could be done better. Maybe I should get a DFA 50 f1.4 lens. It's super sharp and the bokeh is excellent".
11-06-2019, 09:37 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got my wife a zoom lens--SMC Pentax-DA 18-250mm f 3.5-6.3. She wanted it because the 77mm ltd she as using was too "long" on the K-01 yellow brick camera she loves to use. Now she is complaining that the 18-250 is not giving photos that are as sharp and "nice" as the 77mm. I am using the 77mm now, so told her the 18-250 is a much better lens and she just needs more practice using it. Please advise.

I have owned the Pentax 18-250mm and it is a good lens but not great. It really needs to be stopped down between F8-F11 to get good results. I am with c.a.m. on his alternatives. I also have a Sigma 17-50mm and to me it is superior to the 18-250mm. For the money there is a lot of value in the Sigma 17-50mm. I use it for portraits and the shots are always excellent.

Good luck !
11-06-2019, 09:40 PM   #60
dbs
Pentaxian

Hi Ivan

The thread title is bringing some interesting answers, ( I agree with them )
The only solution I can find is you need his & hers of whatever lens she likes.
No more 'stealing' of your lenses and needing to rumage through her camera bag.

Dave