Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I have no idea how I missed this. Video of Pentax Limiteds being made by Pentax

This shows the craftsmanship of the Limited Lenses.

11-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I just purchased my first Limited earlier this week
I replaced my FA 35mm f/2 with a DA 35mm f/2.8 Limited.
Both have excellent image quality, but I am super impressed with the build quality and marco focusing
11-08-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Both have excellent image quality, but I am super impressed with the build quality and marco focusing
In this case there are pros and cons here, but if the DA 35mm f/2.8 is right for your specific needs, great- enjoy! Of course macro is of special interest, and this is a very high-performing lens. Of course the build quality of a Limited is tops. OTOH, f/2 can yield twice the shutter speed of f/2.8 for low light use, the latest HD version of the FA 35mm f/2 is said to have improved image quality over the already fine IQ, and be of somewhat better build over the original, and finally, it is designed for 35mm film or FF use, so is fully functional for both that and APS-C.

---------- Post added 11-08-19 at 05:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by y0chang Quote

PENTAX | Limited Lens - until it sees the light - - YouTube
A very impressive video- thanks for posting! I have seen a video a while back regarding the precision manufacturing of Pentax Limiteds, but I don't remember well enough to determine if this is the same one. Regardless, it is a good reminder of why their cost and their quality is so high.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-08-2019 at 05:31 PM.
11-08-2019, 07:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

PENTAX | Limited Lens - until it sees the light - - YouTube
Awesome! I have not seen this. Thanks for posting.

11-08-2019, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
HD version or non-HD version?
I used to have a FA35 non HD (sell it sometime ago). Now I am looking at SMC 35 Limited mainly for night urban landscape type of photography. I want the aperture ring of the FA for sunset time-lapse shooting but the SMC DA has a lot better looking starbursts effect which I really want too. It would be nice to hear you're though.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-08-2019 at 08:56 PM.
11-08-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a sweet video! May have seen it before, but nice to see it again.
11-09-2019, 03:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Was posted six months ago:
In case your LBA wasn't bad enough... - PentaxForums.com

11-09-2019, 07:24 AM - 1 Like   #8
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I used to have a FA35 non HD (sell it sometime ago). Now I am looking at SMC 35 Limited mainly for night urban landscape type of photography. I want the aperture ring of the FA for sunset time-lapse shooting but the SMC DA has a lot better looking starbursts effect which I really want too. It would be nice to hear you're though.
Both my FA 35 f/2 and my DA 35 f/2.8 Ltd are smc version.
Although I have only just recently acquired the Ltd., I am super impressed with this lens (however, both have superb image quality).
If I understand correct, the HD versions may be better if you're after starburst effects, because the HD version cuts down substantially on flare and ghosting which may occur while shooting for starbursts, but I have no personal experience here.
11-09-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Both my FA 35 f/2 and my DA 35 f/2.8 Ltd are smc version.
Although I have only just recently acquired the Ltd., I am super impressed with this lens (however, both have superb image quality).
If I understand correct, the HD versions may be better if you're after starburst effects, because the HD version cuts down substantially on flare and ghosting which may occur while shooting for starbursts, but I have no personal experience here.
Starbursts are actually a diffraction pattern created by the aperture iris. Its not the coating that changes the starburst pattern but the aperture edges being changed from straight to smooth. Rounded blades though create smoother bokeh when stopped down, so its a trade off. I owned a DA 15 limited SMC and a HD. The HD has better starbursts, which I love in landscape photography, but the HD has better contrast and less flaring (although the DA 15 is a king of controlling flaring due to its small element size). Personally I would have rather kept the blades straight on a landscape lens like the DA 15mm, but II understand why they may have wanted to make consistancy between all the HD remakes.
11-09-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Its not the coating that changes the starburst pattern
To be fair, I didn't say that the coatings would change the starburst pattern - I said it would cut down the flare and ghosting...
However, thanks for providing others with the info regarding the rounded blades..
11-09-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My impression from comments of those who tried both is that the older non-HD lenses yield better star burst patterns, whatever the reason. I have not been doing star burst shots very often, so the HD improvement in less flare and better contrast for all around image quality is for me more important. The rounded blades potentially will produce better bokeh, and good for portraits among other uses. I have the HD version of the 15mm, 70mm, and of course the 20-40mm Limiteds, as well as the DA HD 55-300mm f/4.5-5.8 WR.
11-09-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
I've had the FA35/2 for at least 10 years, the only lens I purchased new, and really like it. I think it only falls short in three main areas: close focus, starbursts and not as good as an FA31. I never felt like I wanted or needed a DA 35 Limited, but recently, I have seen all the SMC DA Limiteds for $200 used. That is just too cheap. I got an SMC DA 35 Limited and it is great. I was already using the focal length a lot. The build quality is impressive. I haven't looked hard for sharpness differences. The FA has some surprising purple fringing wide open which I think is missing on the DA. The DA is slightly more compact, only an issue if you want to carry it with other DA Limiteds, where the hood makes the FA a little fat. I don't see myself buying a full frame camera so the DA isn't a problem there. FA used prices have dropped too.

The obvious lens if you need starbursts, an aperture ring and FF is the FA31.
11-09-2019, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I missed the video when it was first posted. Thank you for posting it again.
11-09-2019, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I also missed it ; very nice find thank you !
11-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, same here... I didn't catch it the first time round. Fun to watch

I wonder - do they really hand fill all the engraved markings on every Limited lens?! I just assumed that kind of thing would be automated. If this kind of hand assembly and finishing goes into every lens, then - combined with the quality of optics and components - it makes the FA and DA Limited lenses something of a bargain, IMHO