Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 01:58 PM   #46
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

And as long as a lens is still on the map, particularly one with a date, there is still an expectation of release sometime in the future until the lens is either released, has the date removed, or is removed from the map.

11-14-2019, 02:17 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Given the new reality of the camera market I suspect that is never gong to happen. Those eagerly awaiting a full line up of new glass or even any significant number of new lenses are going to be disappointed. I don't (quite) think that Pentax is done bringing out new glass but I do think the development cycle has been greatly stretched out. Instead of 1 or 2 new lenses per year it might be 1 new lens every 2 or 3 years.

Those who like to make photographs will be fine, those that must have a new lens on a regular basis will need to move to a different brand. The market is simply not there to support the investment to continue developing new lenses. I think we will see the 70-200 f/4 sometime in 2020. The 85 f/1.4 might never happen now. I am thinking of the Q line which is has never been discontinued but has been allowed to quietly whither away.
It is difficult to envision a world without multiple camera vendors based on my world experience but I am sure it was difficult for people to envision a world without the horse as the only means of transportation. In the next few years we might see the loss of several vendors and picking which ones will survive is going to be difficult. Right now the survivors will be the ones that do not over extend themselves and need huge volumes of sales to cover the development costs and overhead.
I think they can work on two cameras at a time with a two year product development calendar (not raw feature R&D) and four lenses; same conditions. So one fully new camera and two fully new lenses a year.
11-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think they can work on two cameras at a time with a two year product development calendar (not raw feature R&D) and four lenses; same conditions. So one fully new camera and two fully new lenses a year.
I agree, but the operative word there is 'can'. The question is "will they?" I'm no longer at all certain that they will. I don't mean that as doom & gloom for Pentax. The industry as a whole is contracting and in that environment Pentax may just have the best business model. But that is because Ricoh can use a very conservative product release cycle. They do not have the huge overhead, advertising and supply chain costs that Nikon and Canon do. So one new camera and one new lens a year might be more than enough to supply the faithful.

But obviously I have no idea where all this is going. Which is why I am going to just enjoy making photographs. There are already more existing lenses on the used market than I will ever have the time to try and not having any particular lens is not going to detract from my images or my enjoyment of them and the process of making them.
11-15-2019, 04:27 PM   #49
Forum Member

Original Poster
...I am going to just enjoy making photographs. There are already more existing lenses on the used market than I will ever have the time to try and not having any particular lens is not going to detract from my images or my enjoyment of them and the process of making them.
Don't cast aspersions. I asked about the 85 because I am still new to Pentax and would like to make photos using a fast lens in that focal range (i.e. do more portraiture). The market for used lenses is not the same everywhere and buying used online is always a gamble. The 85 is also touted to have other useful features not available in older lenses. It's ridiculous to suggest that people simply wondering about the status of a lens the company has been teasing for two years somehow have a less pure interest in photography.

11-15-2019, 04:55 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I would take it as "Don't worry over something you cannot control, or even know" more than "pure photography". About the used market, it's what it is. Stay on the lookout for a good-looking FA 85/1.4; I have seen a lot of very, VERY good images taken with it. A good copy will also cost you about half of the new lens, probably even less.
11-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaPrime Quote
Don't cast aspersions. I asked about the 85 because I am still new to Pentax and would like to make photos using a fast lens in that focal range (i.e. do more portraiture). The market for used lenses is not the same everywhere and buying used online is always a gamble. The 85 is also touted to have other useful features not available in older lenses. It's ridiculous to suggest that people simply wondering about the status of a lens the company has been teasing for two years somehow have a less pure interest in photography.
What are you talking about? I said 'I'. That means me, not you. If you want to believe a new lens will improve your photography be my guest. I'll give you a free tip though: It won't.

But regardless, my comments have nothing to do with anyone but myself. I also went through that stage where I felt I needed a new lens to "improve" so I completely understand. I just no longer feel that way about myself.

To answer your question though:

1) No one knows anything about this lens
2) It is extremely unlikely we will see it in 2019
3) It is possible will not see it until 2021
4) If you really, really, absolutely need 85mm f/1.4 then buy a used FA* 85mm
11-16-2019, 04:07 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What are you talking about? I said 'I'. That means me, not you. If you want to believe a new lens will improve your photography be my guest. I'll give you a free tip though: It won't.

But regardless, my comments have nothing to do with anyone but myself. I also went through that stage where I felt I needed a new lens to "improve" so I completely understand. I just no longer feel that way about myself.

To answer your question though:

1) No one knows anything about this lens
2) It is extremely unlikely we will see it in 2019
3) It is possible will not see it until 2021
4) If you really, really, absolutely need 85mm f/1.4 then buy a used FA* 85mm
I think there is a really strong possibility we see it in the first part of 2020. It feels like the next lens that Pentax will release for full frame. There is supposed to be an announcement at the end of this month, so I guess we will see.

11-16-2019, 03:53 PM   #53
Forum Member

Original Poster

Don't be asinine. You are plainly suggesting that simply by asking about a lens I must be a stupid gear fetishist, while you yourself have somehow transcended any such amateurish mindset. As though photographers with command over their craft never try new tools! It's ridiculous and completely off topic. The forum has other threads for those views. But thank you for your input.
11-16-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't be asinine. You are plainly suggesting that simply by asking about a lens I must be a stupid gear fetishist,
Personal attacks are highly discouraged on this forum. I will attempt once more to set the record straight. I was not talking about you or even thinking about your question in that post. If you wish to make an issue of every comment made that is of course your right. Best regards.
11-17-2019, 01:18 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't be asinine. You are plainly suggesting that simply by asking about a lens I must be a stupid gear fetishist, while you yourself have somehow transcended any such amateurish mindset. As though photographers with command over their craft never try new tools! It's ridiculous and completely off topic. The forum has other threads for those views. But thank you for your input.
Please be mindful of language used in here. We are all sharing about photography. That said, most here have suggested to look for a good copy of the FA*851.4. I too was waiting for the DFA85 but as it never came out, I went looking for a good copy of the FA*85 instead. A good friend who was travelling to Japan saw one and he bought on my behalf and had it shipped to his hotel.

That was about 2 year ago. I am still having fun with this lens. I also have a manual focus Zhong Yi Mitakon Speedmaster 85/1.2 to shoot portraits. For low light, the AF of the FA* 85 is great for old eyes.

Look for one from eBay from Japanese sellers. Value for money.

Cheers.
11-18-2019, 05:28 AM - 1 Like   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Be of good cheer! I have given up waiting and ordered an FA* 85 1.4. That almost guarantees that they will soon announce the D FA * 84 1.4 within weeks
11-28-2019, 06:03 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I have purchased and sold two copies of the FA*85, both times selling thinking that the new release was imminent and didn't want to be stuck with a lens that would rapidly drop in value. Boy was I wrong...I should have held on to one of them and just enjoyed it.
03-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Does anyone have any recent information about when this lens will be available?
It has been announced today for release in 2020:
HD PENTAX-D FA? 85mm F1.4 SDM AW – Neues Hochleistungsobjektiv mit Festbrennweite in Vorbereitung ? Pictures - Das Foto-Magazin
Neues Pentax-Objektiv angekündigt | FOTO HITS News
03-25-2020, 06:48 PM   #59
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Time for me to start saving...
05-25-2020, 01:23 AM   #60
Pentaxian

Rumours say, the release will be on 28th of May. 2020 of course
MSRP: $2500
Pentax Product Code: 22890

Source: HD PENTAX-D FA85mmF1.4ED SDM Prime Telephoto lens: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Source time stamp: 25. May 2020 00:51:40 GMT