Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A 28/2 reputation?

Since there is no A 28/2 review here, nor any 28/2 samples in the A Club thread, i was wondering if anyone here has one of those and could share some info on that lens.
I may say here or there i don't need a fast 28, but i admit, the Distagon 28/2 samples on their thread have me wonder otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

10-19-2008, 10:19 AM   #2

I am curious about this lens as well. A friend of mine used to have one but he was not a very good photographer so it was hard to judge the merits of the lens back then...
10-19-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
A friend of mine used to have one but he was not a very good photographer so it was hard to judge the merits of the lens back then...
I had to smile at this remark. How often does it happen that it's the bad photographers that own the best equipment?
10-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

That's why they have the best equipment - because they think it compensates.

10-20-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
That's why they have the best equipment - because they think it compensates.
nice one
10-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I am lucky enough to own this lens. I really enjoy this focal length. I find the SMC-A 28 f2 to be an outstanding performer.

Great sharpness. Excellent color and contrast. The bokeh is harsh on wide open close focus images but I do not think this is the intention of this lens. It is rather a low light lens. In this aspect it will out perform the other 28mm f2.8/3.5 counterparts. It has excellent sharpness at f2.8. At f3.5 it is even better. Even at f2 it is sharp with a narrow depth of field.

I believe the SMC-M version is the same lens optically. The k version is a different element design all together. The K version is nearly twice the size and weight of the M/A lenses. The SMC-M and A models are much more compact around the size of the M and A 50's.

I took my copy out for some impromptu non scientific results testing different f-stops to give an idea of its performance. I did a general f-stop comparison of a general scene at infinity focus. I also did some close focus images to give an idea of the bokeh quality wide open. The bokeh in close focus images is much better stopped down. This also depends on the relative closeness of the out of focus areas. The farther away they are the more forgiving the bokeh wide open.

I will post some images to follow.
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This first set is an attempt to give a range of image quality from f2 to f11. Center sharpness I would say peeks between f5.6 and f8. Edge to Edge sharpness is probably better above f8. It does drop off around f16. Sharpness quality is still strong straight from f2 but by f2.8 becomes much tighter.

All images are hand held.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rico; 05-21-2014 at 09:42 AM.
10-20-2008, 07:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The next two sets are to show the quality of bokeh.

Again all images were hand held in strong wind.

Attached Images

10-20-2008, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks like a handy little lens as far as i can tell from such small web images. Thanks for sharing.

Considering the background, the f/2 shot of the flower doesn't look all too busy.
10-20-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here are some more Bokeh shots.

Last edited by Rico; 10-20-2008 at 09:07 PM.
10-20-2008, 08:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I found dry grass in harsh contrasty sun kills any bokeh machine, so i'd say this is a nice lens.
I was considering it, but with the thread taking a while to take off, i picked up some AF primes meanwhile, I am still tempted to add this one at a later time to give it a spin of my own.

The f/2 performance is nice it seems.
10-20-2008, 08:47 PM   #12

I dunno, this lens seems like a dud to me. What a shame!

But I would gladly relieve you of this burden though. What an embarrassment! Owning a kooky lens like that. Send it to me ASAP and I will wave my usual recycling fee...
10-20-2008, 08:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photomaximum Quote
I dunno, this lens seems like a dud to me. What a shame!

But I would gladly relieve you of this burden though. What an embarrassment! Owning a kooky lens like that. Send it to me ASAP and I will wave my usual recycling fee...
Are you going through all the club threads next, helping them out too? I think you should.
Help your brothers out.
10-20-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I should have mentioned these were shot with the K20D.

Sure Max do you have a bridge to sell me too.

morfic, Wide open the bokeh can get wonki but stopped down it is much better. It does have excellent sharpness even at f2. It is a winner for this focal length. I really enjoy it on APS-C. I have the A28 f2.8 which is a fine lens but the A28 f2 is in a whole different league. The K version I believe follows a Carl Zeiss design which makes it bigger. The compact size of the A version fits in my bag better.

Man uploading these images has been a real pickle this evening. I ran out of Pentaxforums space then my AOL account has been running like a snail all evening. I have another f2 image but I can not get it to show up on the forums.

Glad I could help out. Sorry if I have induced the need.
10-20-2008, 09:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Do you refer to the Distagon design?