Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 05:44 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have had the 20-40 for just a short time and my cap stays on. I imagine when it starts to slide off I will probably apply a thin layer of rubber cement inside the lip of the cap, but that would probably no last too long. After reading this thread I tried a couple of ideas. A 62mm pinch cap fits on the hood, but can be pulled off rather easily. I put a 49mm cap inside the hood, but it was too hard to remove. without removing the hood.
Get something like this on ebay
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/wwYAAOSwrZBcQcz5/s-l300.jpg

I have many ebay cap like above and all of them are very firm and work better than Pentext latest generation plastic cap. Get exactly the same look as seen on the image, became most other design doesn't grip on the hood that well. Or even better, use the Pentax FA plastic cap version. It is thinner and firmer.

11-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I also tried a couple different 62mm caps but it's worse than the original due to the smooth hood.
I'm leaning towards buying a set of step up rings to use instead of the hood. They're cheap enough.

Note to Ricoh/Pentax - How about threads on the insides of the DA20-40 hood?

I have had the 20-40 for just a short time and my cap stays on. I imagine when it starts to slide off I will probably apply a thin layer of rubber cement inside the lip of the cap, but that would probably no last too long. After reading this thread I tried a couple of ideas. A 62mm pinch cap fits on the hood, but can be pulled off rather easily. I put a 49mm cap inside the hood, but it was too hard to remove. without removing the hood.
11-14-2019, 06:30 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kcjonez Quote
I also tried a couple different 62mm caps but it's worse than the original due to the smooth hood.
I'm leaning towards buying a set of step up rings to use instead of the hood. They're cheap enough.

Now I see why! Sorry I was not realized the inner part of the hood is smooth. Then it doesn’t matter how firm grip the cap is. Yes, you’re right. they should have made threads on the hood.
On 10-17, it has threads on the inner part of the hood, that’s why a cap can firmly grip on it and we can use a circular filter on it as well (I guess filter is not useful for a fisheye lens like that).
11-14-2019, 06:34 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I bought my 20-40 in May 2014. I replaced the hood with a 55-58 & 58-62 step up ring with generic centre pinch 62 mm cap.
Never had any issues.
The main reason for this was already having 62mm filters.

11-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, I don't have the tools, and it may not be feasible, but maybe tap threads into the hood.
11-14-2019, 10:15 PM - 2 Likes   #21
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have stored away the original lens hood and cap. I use a Neewer 55mm reversible lens hood and cap instead. Works well. Unfortunately, I'm not sure they are still available - couldn't find one on a quick search.
11-14-2019, 11:07 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Now I see why! Sorry I was not realized the inner part of the hood is smooth. Then it doesn’t matter how firm grip the cap is. Yes, you’re right. they should have made threads on the hood.
That's what I was explaining (badly apparently) in post 5.

11-15-2019, 01:51 AM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought my 20-40 in March 2015, and the flocked ring hasn’t really changed much. The cap won’t fall off by itself but can be pulled off by brushing against something accidentally - it’s got a couple of small dings where it’s hit the ground like this.

I bought a rubber screw-in hood and matching pinch cap when I got the lens, but I prefer the aesthetic look of the original small hood, so I still use the original cap. I won’t be selling the lens, so the ongoing condition of the cap is irrelevant for me, really.
11-15-2019, 02:42 AM   #24
Pentaxian

When I got my DA20-40 a couple years back, I noticed the lens cap could be knocked off if it brushed up against something. Over time it has loosened to the point where it simply falls off when i am walking. I have lost count of the times I have retraced my steps to find it, yesterday being the most recent. It is a friction fit flocked cap and I assume the flocking has become compressed or lost over the years.
I don't have this lens, but I do have the DA 70 Limited and DA 10-17, which have the same style cap. I've never had an issue with either.
11-15-2019, 04:20 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The DA 10-17 cap is a lot deeper, and mine actually takes a bit of a tug to get it off!
11-15-2019, 05:05 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I haven't used a rubber hood in many decades. Undoubtedly still have a few in the bottom of some junk box :-)

My cap also has a few dings from biting the dust, and I will also never sell my 20-40 most likely.

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
I bought my 20-40 in March 2015, and the flocked ring hasn’t really changed much. The cap won’t fall off by itself but can be pulled off by brushing against something accidentally - it’s got a couple of small dings where it’s hit the ground like this.

I bought a rubber screw-in hood and matching pinch cap when I got the lens, but I prefer the aesthetic look of the original small hood, so I still use the original cap. I won’t be selling the lens, so the ongoing condition of the cap is irrelevant for me, really.
11-15-2019, 08:33 AM - 1 Like   #27
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

if you buy generic black lens caps:

11-15-2019, 03:50 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
if you buy generic black lens caps:

Customise Your Lens Caps | The Film Look - YouTube
Right. To circumvent the problem of removal without having to remove the hood, simply obtain a conventional cap having a central pinch-removal facility.

I've had my 20-40mm LTD since 2016 and I am fortunate- the cap is still fine, still snug under normal conditions and use. But, since I nearly always carry my camera with lens in a shoulder/belt holster-type case, and since I typically have items in the case's front accessory pocket- even including a DA 15mm LTD lens, an internal bulge is created by these items. This creates a pinch effect just above the bottom of the case. When pulling out my camera, this pinch effect will very often remove the lens cap. I take this from a positive viewpoint- I have an automatic cap-removal system when I reach for the camera to shoot! I just give a quick glance to see if the cap is off, and if so proceed in shooting! Pretty handy, actually.
11-15-2019, 03:58 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's a pretty neat way to customize lens caps.
11-15-2019, 04:12 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't take my friction-fit caps into the field. Pinch caps are cheap and generally stay on, problem solved.

Steve
^^^ +1 ^^^ I believe it is a 55mm filter size, so a 55mm clip-on cap (not quite common, but not hard either).