Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-14-2019, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA20-40Ltd lens cap issue.

When I got my DA20-40 a couple years back, I noticed the lens cap could be knocked off if it brushed up against something. Over time it has loosened to the point where it simply falls off when i am walking. I have lost count of the times I have retraced my steps to find it, yesterday being the most recent. It is a friction fit flocked cap and I assume the flocking has become compressed or lost over the years. There are no threads inside the hood, So.......
My question is, has anyone found a solution to keep the original lens cap on or any other solution. The hood is not threaded and I haven't found anything to fit it that stays on.

A few ideas, neoprene lens hoods? Has anyone tried them on the 20-40".
Using a 55mm-62mm step up ring instead of the hood and a 62mm pinch cap? Or a 55-58 & 58-62?
Adding more flocking or re-flocking the original lens cap?
Ideas appreciated, practical experience more so. Thanks in advance.

Photo to illustrate why I love this lens. 20mm on K-3.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by kcjonez; 11-14-2019 at 05:10 PM.
11-14-2019, 02:25 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I have done this with my DA 40mm XS which also comes with a friction fit cap

I got a cheap uv filter and glued the cap onto it

I then screw in the filter and cap into the lens

another thing I have done with other lenses I get a filter stack cap

Fotasy 55mm Metal Filter Stack Caps, Filter Stack 55mm, Aluminum Alloy, Slim Stack fits 55mm UV CPL Fader ND Filter

https://smile.amazon.com/Fotasy-Metal-Filter-Stack-Aluminum/dp/B07S8R5YDS/re...766915&sr=8-19

and take the male part and use that as a screw in cap

and just store the original cap

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-14-2019 at 02:32 PM.
11-14-2019, 02:37 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I don't take my friction-fit caps into the field. Pinch caps are cheap and generally stay on, problem solved.

Steve
11-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #4
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
I got a cheap uv filter and glued the cap onto it
I get a filter stack cap
These are solid suggestions aslyfox! Thanks for sharing! Brilliant

11-14-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Mine only falls off in the bag so far. But after looking at it it will be a pain later. The hood doesn't have any threading on the cap end so a solution using a pinch cap may require a hood replacement also.

On some other lenses I have obtained metal hoods with integrated pinch caps - in the old days we would raid Tupperware at the thrift shop and find a matching diameter.

Here's my 50-135 wearing an alternate hood with integrated cap:

Generated from my Motorola o using tools.sportscard.trade

Btw the hood in question adds a slight vignette. I need a little wider diameter. The length is perfect.
11-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I also noticed this problem with my 35 Ltd yesterday. The cap fell off in my bag while I was walking. The suggestions by aslyfox are great. I was just thinking about this myself and you could also apply a thin ring of foam or rubber lining to the hood sides but I'm not sure how well that would stay or how long it would remain intact for.
11-14-2019, 02:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Mine only falls off in the bag so far. But after looking at it it will be a pain later. The hood doesn't have any threading on the cap end so a solution using a pinch cap may require a hood replacement also. . . .
for some reason, I seem to knock off pinch caps from time to time

so I like the screw in caps

" to each his own " of course

11-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
. . . I was just thinking about this myself and you could also apply a thin ring of foam or rubber lining to the hood sides but I'm not sure how well that would stay or how long it would remain intact for.
if you ever might want to sell

doing something to the original cap might be objectionable to a purchaser
11-14-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips! I also prefer screw in caps. Potential cost, a few seconds removing. Potential gain, No lost caps or uncovered glass rattling around somewhere.

for some reason, I seem to knock off pinch caps from time to time

so I like the screw in caps

" to each his own " of course
11-14-2019, 03:25 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
I don't have the lens but I had an old vivitar zoom (70-150 if I remember well) that had the same type of cap. The old velvet lining lost friction and the cap fell constantly. I carefully remove the old velvet and replace it with a strip of self adhesive velvet flocking liner.
11-14-2019, 03:32 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kcjonez Quote
Thanks for the tips! I also prefer screw in caps. Potential cost, a few seconds removing. Potential gain, No lost caps or uncovered glass rattling around somewhere.
the filter stack caps are metal

so a little more protection than plastic

but you do end up with the female section just sitting around
11-14-2019, 03:35 PM - 2 Likes   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I don't take my friction-fit caps into the field. Pinch caps are cheap and generally stay on, problem solved.

Steve

^^^ this ^^^

I only use friction-fit caps when the lens in not on my camera - once I mount it, I add a pinch-cap and leave the OEM cap on the desk...
11-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I leave my old Takumar friction lens caps at home and use only cheap pinch caps in the field.
11-14-2019, 04:47 PM - 1 Like   #14
Inactive Account

I don't have a 20-40 but my 10-17 use a similar cap style. I always buy clip-on plastic caps from eBay or use the old FA's version. Just make sure it large enough to fit the open of the hood.
But once a lens attached to my camera, I usually don't put a cap on the lens. One hand cover the open of the hood while walking most of the time.
11-14-2019, 05:26 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have had the 20-40 for just a short time and my cap stays on. I imagine when it starts to slide off I will probably apply a thin layer of rubber cement inside the lip of the cap, but that would probably no last too long. After reading this thread I tried a couple of ideas. A 62mm pinch cap fits on the hood, but can be pulled off rather easily. I put a 49mm cap inside the hood, but it was too hard to remove. without removing the hood.