Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 19 Likes Search this Thread
11-17-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Permanent M42 Adapter to Lens?

Ok, so I am now a proud new owner of a 8 element tak 50/1.4, my first ever m42 lens. In fact.. it might just be my last. I typically even hate working with K lenses and prefer A ones for Av mode support, but in this case I was happy to bow down to the restrictions as this lens does indeed appear to be something very special indeed.

Now my question is... is there a way to just fix some adapter to the lens, in a super tight fashion so that I can mount the lens+adapter on and off my K-1 like any other lens?

My ignorance on this matter has started to frighten me, a quick search suggests the removal of a M42 adapter is quite painful... do I really need to carry a special spring release tool around with me?

Are all adapters the same, or can you pay a little more for something that does the job so much better?

TIA!

BB

11-17-2019, 05:36 PM   #2

The removal is not a pain IF you use the genuine Pentax adapter. You use your fingernail and it's really simple. M42 lenses often work fine in av mode if they have a manual switch for the aperture. The viewfinder just gets darker as you close down the aperture.
11-17-2019, 05:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't need a removal tool if you use a genuine Pentax adapter.
11-17-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The genuine Pentax adapter requires only a fingernail to release the spring, it takes less than 5 seconds (once you get the hang of it) to remove it once you've unscrewed the lens.

11-17-2019, 05:46 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fingernail removal here too.

But you can glue the adapter to the lens. If you do this make sure to remove the spring thingy first. You can then bayonet the lens on/off, but it wont click in place, so just be careful. Yes and use Av mode no problem.
11-17-2019, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Buy the genuine Pentax adapter, remove the spring, and leave the adapter on the lens. I have several genuine Pentax adapters and I do exactly what I just wrote/what you wanted to do.

BTW AV works fine with (much) wider angle Takumars in conjunction w/ zone focussing. Just leave the lens at the taking aperture/ and the lens stopped down.
11-17-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Now my question is... is there a way to just fix some adapter to the lens, in a super tight fashion so that I can mount the lens+adapter on and off my K-1 like any other lens?
Yes, one can using Loctite, though it would not make sense with other than the cheapest adapters. Of course, the retaining spring must be removed, leaving the lens potentially able to rotate off the camera (no retention pin).

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Are all adapters the same, or can you pay a little more for something that does the job so much better?
No, they are not all the same. The brand-X are fundamentally different in fit and action than the genuine Pentax. Simply put, brand-X fits tight in the mount with registration defined by the adapter, while the genuine fits loose with registration defined by the face of the camera's K-mount flange. The tight fit might be a concern due to possibility of the adapter creating metal shards by action of poorly-machined edges against the body mount tangs. Metal dust on the mirror and in the mirror box of one of my film cameras was a side-effect of my brand-X adapter experiment several years ago.

There are other differences in how the tangs are machined on the brand-X versions that makes them prone to becoming stuck on the camera unless the retention spring has been removed. Some users on this site have resorted to use a Dremel tool to cut the adapter out of the mount.

My advice is that get a genuine adapter and leave it on the rear of your new lens along with a K rear cap. It will mount fast just like a regular K-mount when you need it with the adapter easily removable (takes less than a second) when you are done. It only takes a few more seconds to spin it back onto the back of the lens, ready for next time.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-17-2019 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Completeness
11-17-2019, 06:02 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
Buy the genuine Pentax adapter, remove the spring...
This is the first I have heard of this strategy. Whatever suits, I guess.

Steve
11-17-2019, 06:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I currently have several m42 lenses, and each one has a $10 adapter on it, spring removed, hand-tightened. The lenses mount and un-mount from my DSLR's as if they were native K lenses.

Of the dozen or so adapters I've used over the years, 2 have been problematic - one got stuck on the camera (used the tool to remove it) and one did not permit infinity focus. Otherwise, they've been fine.
11-17-2019, 06:13 PM - 2 Likes   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

you don't need to remove the adapter at all if you have a second body to become your M42 body....
11-17-2019, 06:39 PM - 1 Like   #11
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just don’t glue an adapter to that 8 element Takumar. Never a good idea for any Takumar, even more so for a rare gem.
11-17-2019, 06:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another vote for the genuine Pentax Adaptor K for M42. I have used the cheap knock-offs and the difference in quality and ease of use is striking.
11-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #13
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Another vote for the genuine Pentax Adaptor K for M42. I have used the cheap knock-offs and the difference in quality and ease of use is striking.
True, never any question about registration distance, fit, or finish with the genuine article.
11-17-2019, 07:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although I also vote for the original adapter I have seen people glue the cheap knockoff adapters to the lens. I wouldn't do it but it is an option.
11-17-2019, 07:13 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I currently have several m42 lenses, and each one has a $10 adapter on it, spring removed, hand-tightened. The lenses mount and un-mount from my DSLR's as if they were native K lenses.

Of the dozen or so adapters I've used over the years, 2 have been problematic - one got stuck on the camera (used the tool to remove it) and one did not permit infinity focus. Otherwise, they've been fine.
I don't have that many adapters (maybe 4 or 5) but this strategy works for me. Removing the spring makes M42 lenses them much more usable IMO.

Only disadvantage is the lens is not locked in place but for the adapters I have they are tight enough that my lenses have never shown signs of loosening while using (focusing etc) the lens.