Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-19-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The elusive DA 40/2.8 macro

The bokeh on the 40 really does well in closeups... I don't shoot with this thing enough!

(the flower's less than an inch across...)

Last edited by pingflood; 10-19-2008 at 06:10 PM.
10-19-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pingflood, it's funny you should post it like this. I love everything about my DA 40 except the maximum magnification, I always want to get just... a little... closer. :-) But I agree that within it's range, it does a marvelous job rendering flowers and other small objects. Landscapes and portraits too, but those are other posts. I have tried several other lenses as "walk around" lenses that have macro abillity, but the quality is never quite up to par with the DA 40. And then there's the DA 35... but it's hard to spend the money for such a similar focal length and max aperture. My next endeavor is to try the 40mm with a 1+ or 2+ filter, which I already have, to see if that will give a decent picture.

Lovely shot, though! the texture on the flower petals is amazing.
10-19-2008, 07:20 PM   #3

Did someone say DA 40mm Macro?

Cheers
Shang
10-19-2008, 08:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Two amazing shots that just heighten my excitement knowing i am going back to it, thanks for sharing.
crab spider? (wild guess)

10-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #5

That is one AWESOME photo...

Max
10-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Wow great shots! Did you guys use closeup filters or extension tubes?
10-19-2008, 08:59 PM   #7

Wow, that spider's meal is bigger than the spider is. Great shot!

10-19-2008, 11:55 PM   #8

Thanks for all your kind words.

I used 34mm of extension tubes for this macro.. Its a combo I'm really enjoying.
Not much working distance but sufficient for this type of non moving macro.

IQ is much better then my long macro combo of Pentax A 50mm and Vivitar 2x macro converter. While getting great results.. cannot compare with the Pentax limited.

I think.. a DA 35mm LTD would get similar IQ.
Don't have one personally... though.

Cheers
Shang
10-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Cool! I haven't tried extension tubes, aside from the darkening effect I've read about, any other downsides on using extension tubes? I'm guessing you lose AF?
10-20-2008, 03:56 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Cool! I haven't tried extension tubes, aside from the darkening effect I've read about, any other downsides on using extension tubes? I'm guessing you lose AF?
yes you lose about a stop of light, for me not a big deal... I generally use my AF540 flash with most of my macro stuff.

I tend to use the flash as fill rather than the main source of light. I have a Stofen on and angle the head so it isn't directly pointed at the subject in this case.

Gives a much softer and natural light.

My extension tubes are advertise as AF but its baloney... it doesn't work.

I got it for the A contacts so its simpler to use flash, however I often use manual flash in tricky situations.

Best thing of extension tubes is that it does not degrade IQ.
Another way is to get a Vivitar 2x macro TC and knock out the glass. Its is then a adjustable extension tube without having to mess with different tube lengths.

Cheers
Shang
10-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
Wow great shots! Did you guys use closeup filters or extension tubes?
Here's what happened...

I have an old "home made" extension tube (gutted a cheap teleconverter that had crappy glass) that's probably around 25mm or so. I wanted to see how the DA40 performs at close range, but as we all know it doesn't focus very close at all (I guess that is a limitation of its compact size). So, I figured, hey, stick it on the extension tube and go to town. Put it all together, and sure enough, it seems to work. Now just to stop down and do some shots...oh wait, there's no aperture ring on this thing. And my extension tube doesn't have electronics.

So plan B: I had a set of Hoya closeup filters that came with one of my Spotmatics so stacked all three (+1,+2,+3) together. I am baffled at how well the image quality held up -- at 100% it's sharp and beautiful. I guess having a controlled lighting environment helps since there was no possibility of glare/flare when the light was behind and to the left. Still, I am VERY impressed with the result.
10-20-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sychen Quote
Another way is to get a Vivitar 2x macro TC and knock out the glass. Its is then a adjustable extension tube without having to mess with different tube lengths.
I have a couple of Ricoh 2x macro tc's one is PK/A so would like to keep that whole but how do I go about knocking the glass out of the non pka mount?
10-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Mike,
The lens elements are usually held in place with a threaded ring. Most of mine are at the camera end of the extender. You will notice small slots on either side of the ring. Use a small screw driver in the slot to gently tap the ring loose. Or you could make a wrench from sheet metal. After removing the retainer ring, the lenses and spacers should easily come out. Anyway it is always much easier to take things apart then to reassemble them. Good luck.

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
I have a couple of Ricoh 2x macro tc's one is PK/A so would like to keep that whole but how do I go about knocking the glass out of the non pka mount?
10-20-2008, 09:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Mike,
Or you could make a wrench from sheet metal.

Dave
LOL, you are talking to someone who once put up shelf and the watched everything on it roll off .. I am that good with my hands

Thanks for the info though, I may just use a hammer and punch.
10-24-2008, 08:11 PM   #15

Simply amazing Spider/Fly shot.