Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #1

Auto Chinon 1:19 50mm v Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.7 Prime Lens Help appreciated

I have a Pentax K110D and and old chinon 50mm lens which I'm trying to get to grips with (I'm very much a newbie) but really enjoying using the camera. Can I ask if anyone has an opinion on which is the better lens the chinon or the Pentax. Could anyone tell me also what the 'auto' means on the chinon. Cheers

11-21-2019, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"Auto" typically means that the diaphragm stops down automatically when you shoot, while staying open while you compose and focus: this allows you to focus wide open, showing you a brighter viewfinder and more accurate focus*. I know, I know, not really automatic by today's standards, but not having to use a preset (or full manual) lens was a big thing at one point...

As for "which one is better", I haven't tried the Chinon but odds are that a Pentax-M 50/17 is better built, handles better and takes better pictures. The K/M/A series are great.

*Especially on a film camera with a proper focusing screen. A DSLR will stop getting brighter/more accurate at ~f/2.8 or 4. Any faster is hard to manually nail.
11-21-2019, 11:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My experience is that the Chinon is weaker, especially wide open. The image cleans up at f/4. Maybe less sharpness can be a feature.
11-21-2019, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reviewers here (maybe a little biased beeing a Pentax forum and all ) are more fond of the Pentax lenses than of this particular Chinon lens:

Chinon Auto 50mm F1.9 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

11-21-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the Revuenon branded version of that Chinon. It has really nice soft wide open rendering and pleasing bokeh The Pentax-m has better build quality and is probably the better all round lens. The Chinon 50mm 1.7 and 1.4 are also very good lenses. It is really not a question of which is better, but of which you like best. So look for samples here and on Flickr.
11-21-2019, 07:40 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

In my mind, the best, low-cost 50 is the Pentax 55/1,8. Either in M-42 mount or K-Mount. such a lovely lens and they are almost given away they are so cheap.
11-21-2019, 07:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the coatings on that specific Chinon lens are pretty basic. That said, the front element is pretty recessed which is a good thing in that the body of the lens itself acts like a bit of a hood. I have owned one of these for about a year and never shot with it; mine seems pretty loose and tired and I have known good 50's around already.

If you own the lens, which it sounds like you do, go shoot the daylights out of it and share images that you like or confound you which you think should have been better. Get an extension ring for it and try some macro shooting. Come back after you've shot a few hundred images or more with it and let us know what you think and share your favorite shots.

11-22-2019, 01:42 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the comments folks much appreciated. I shot about fifty pics yesterday over the lakeland fells but with very unsatisfactory results. I doubt this is the lens's fault as I'm struggling to understand how to determine the correct exposure. In the finish I left it on 5.8, the button was set to manual, pressed the fire button half way then AE-L. If I selected another F stop the result was terrible. Really want to use my old manual lenses. I've spent ages reading forum posts but still struggling. If anyone could direct me to how to sort this issue out be very grateful. I appreciate I'm in the wrong forum at the moment but thanks lads.
11-22-2019, 03:11 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you post a picture or two, with EXIF data? What do you mean by "unsatisfactory"? Bad exposure, soft, blurry? It can be a problem with the lens; some old lenses have aperture problems.
11-22-2019, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bikertone7 Quote
Thanks for all the comments folks much appreciated. I shot about fifty pics yesterday over the lakeland fells but with very unsatisfactory results. I doubt this is the lens's fault as I'm struggling to understand how to determine the correct exposure. In the finish I left it on 5.8, the button was set to manual, pressed the fire button half way then AE-L. If I selected another F stop the result was terrible. Really want to use my old manual lenses. I've spent ages reading forum posts but still struggling. If anyone could direct me to how to sort this issue out be very grateful. I appreciate I'm in the wrong forum at the moment but thanks lads.
A few pictures with exif data would be good to understand your problem.
Vintage lenses often lack contrast compared to new lenses, but this can be delt with in post.
Green button metering (I am not familiar with the K110D but I think this should be possible for this camera too) or the sunny16 rule (sunny day: f16, shutter speed = 1/ISO value or it's variations: f11, shutter speed = 1/(2xISO value);...) are a good starting point in M mode.
11-22-2019, 04:59 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's an exposure issue, a lot can be fixed by shooting RAW and correcting in post.

There are some folks using cameras that age or a bit older still here on the forum that might be helpful. Agreed that sharing a couple of images here will help. Also wondering if that camera has a setting to allow for use of lenses that do not communicate with the camera electronically.
11-22-2019, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
If it's an exposure issue, a lot can be fixed by shooting RAW and correcting in post.

There are some folks using cameras that age or a bit older still here on the forum that might be helpful. Agreed that sharing a couple of images here will help. Also wondering if that camera has a setting to allow for use of lenses that do not communicate with the camera electronically.
I had to check myself! Turns out the K110D is an interesting creature: it has neither SR nor green button (!), but DOES support K/M lenses in a slightly roundabout way. While the shutter is half-depressed, you press the AE-Lock button, which stops the lens down and gets the exposure.

On that note and as a confirmation, @Bikertone7: is the "Allow Aperture Ring" option in the custom menu set to allow the use of manual lenses?
11-22-2019, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

On using K-mount lenses without automatic aperture control on digital bodies:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
11-22-2019, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
On using K-mount lenses without automatic aperture control on digital bodies:
How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com
The guide won't be quite useful for OP's body, as there is no green button.
11-22-2019, 06:30 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The other fun thing is, assuming we get a couple of shots with EXIF data attached to check, we'll need to be told by the OP what aperture the ring was set to, since that won't be captured in the EXIF.

I'm curious now where the ring was set when the shots were taken that he says were not very good. Figuring these things out and getting this into a workable situation can be really educational... but also really frustrating for someone that doesn't know the ins and outs of the situation (like when I first found this forum and was fighting a similar lens on my K-5 II).