Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2008, 02:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron build differences usa or imported?

Shopping for a fast zoom in the 20ish to 70ish range. The one that I am most interested in, bang for the buck wise, is the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. While looking at the sigma4less site I noticed that for each mount there are two listings for each mount $30ish apart. One is "made in usa" the other "imported."

What are the differences? Through other retailer there is no clear distinction of place of manufacturing. So if there is a offer on the lower end would I need to contact the retailer to ask?

Thanks.

10-20-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think that the differnce would account for shipping prices and maybe warranty may be an issue...
10-20-2008, 02:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They're all made in the same places, in Japan I believe. The difference between USA and Imported is that the "USA" items are imported through official importers/authorized retailers. The "imported" items are grey market, meaning they are imported through unauthorized channels.

The "imported" items will lack a manufacturers warranty, while the "USA" items will have a full warranty. Generally they are the same exact item except for this feature.
10-20-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is very interesting

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote
They're all made in the same places, in Japan I believe. The difference between USA and Imported is that the "USA" items are imported through official importers/authorized retailers. The "imported" items are grey market, meaning they are imported through unauthorized channels.

The "imported" items will lack a manufacturers warranty, while the "USA" items will have a full warranty. Generally they are the same exact item except for this feature.

This is interesting. The only site that I have seen that clearly displays the distinction is Sigma4less. How would you tell otherwise? When you got the lens the included paperwork would not be in English? would not include a warranty? and what would happen if you needed a replacement? Tamron would not honor the request?

Sent sigma4less an email.

10-20-2008, 04:44 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Votesh Quote

Some of these lenses are made in China.
Look at this flickr groupe : Flickr: Discussing How Many Made in China Lenses Have You Sent Back? in Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro Group
10-20-2008, 09:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Even more confusing!

QuoteOriginally posted by enzo Quote
Thanks so much for the link. will check into it when I wake up. Now I am more confused. Would that mean there are differences between the imports? and then "usa" or would that mean the ones from China are the import?

What's the best practice? Call the retailer and ask them? Suppose that is not such a bad idea. Then you can ask if there are any known issues with the batch they have. Would some sell the same lens over and again until someone simply accepts it?
10-20-2008, 10:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by metroeloise Quote
This is interesting. The only site that I have seen that clearly displays the distinction is Sigma4less.
I have also seen these designations on the B&H website for some products.

Another option might be the used market. I bought a Tamron 28-75 from an individual on this forum and it is in perfect shape. Nice savings an now may be my favorite lens.
10-20-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip

QuoteOriginally posted by geauxpez Quote
I have also seen these designations on the B&H website for some products.

Another option might be the used market. I bought a Tamron 28-75 from an individual on this forum and it is in perfect shape. Nice savings an now may be my favorite lens.
Of course: Buy "local"

In this case it means from a fellow pentaxian... I will keep that in mind.

I went to the link Enzo provided. It really sheds no light on this issue. In fact most of the participate seem to lean toward there is no build quality difference between made in China or made whereeverelse...

Still no reply from sigma4less. Any one use them?

10-20-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's how they fare at reseller ratings:
Sigma 4 Less (aka: Sigma for less) - sigma4less.com?pc=72 - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings
10-20-2008, 11:55 PM   #10

I just ordered this very lens today from Amazon. I waffled over the primes from Pentax (35, 40, 50), but just went for this instead---we'll see. I would've gladly have preferred to order from Adorama, but I needed it sooner, and with the holidays they wouldn't ship in time. Still, I get the current rebate on this lens ($10), and will have it in time.

Now, Tamron has specific authorized dealers. Searching Tamron's list of authorized dealers did not return the source you named (Warranty). From Tamron's site:

All authorized Tamron USA dealers are required to place this logo [see link above] on their website in their online Tamron product descriptions and in their advertising. Dealers not authorized by Tamron USA, Inc. cannot offer any warranty from Tamron USA and cannot use this logo. You can find a list of authorized Tamron dealers by clicking here or by calling 1-800-827-888

Hope this helps.
10-21-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kveldalf Quote
I just ordered this very lens today from Amazon. I waffled over the primes from Pentax (35, 40, 50), but just went for this instead---we'll see. I would've gladly have preferred to order from Adorama, but I needed it sooner, and with the holidays they wouldn't ship in time. Still, I get the current rebate on this lens ($10), and will have it in time.

Now, Tamron has specific authorized dealers. Searching Tamron's list of authorized dealers did not return the source you named (Warranty). From Tamron's site:

All authorized Tamron USA dealers are required to place this logo [see link above] on their website in their online Tamron product descriptions and in their advertising. Dealers not authorized by Tamron USA, Inc. cannot offer any warranty from Tamron USA and cannot use this logo. You can find a list of authorized Tamron dealers by clicking here or by calling 1-800-827-888

Hope this helps.
Oh yeah! I am into this camera thing for a while and will be needing every scrap of insight I can get. Pentaxian-HiveMind is a wonder...

I decided to go with Amazon also. not worth the 10 bucks. That warning is Huge... but how would you know. You figure if the retailer is legit then they are authorized... Pollyanna eh? Not authorized no warranty... wow. I need to sleep now.
10-21-2008, 11:35 PM   #12

Good to hear. I'd be interested in your impressions of this lens (Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8) since we're getting them at the same time.

Best
10-22-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

It really is a beauty. I have had mine for about 2 weeks now. Vary sharp and great bokeh.

The above happened to be taken on "World Pentax Day" (Oct 11).

Adam
10-23-2008, 09:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just noticed the Notice: Lens at the PO! I get it in the morning....Oh yeah.
10-25-2008, 09:40 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It is Here and I am in Love....

Here is a first shot right after the calibration. (got issues with focusing from the body I will have to deal with after the holidays) and with my new flash... Got two new ones, AF-360: Nice. And the special one! (more on that one later).

Sharp?