Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-23-2019, 07:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which 85mm Takumar is the best?

Hello, good evening everyone. I wanted to know which 85mm Takumar is the best between the F/1.9 and the F/1.8. I tried searching for a comparison video reviewing both lenses but none exist. Also is the current asking price of this lens on Ebay really worth it? Or could I find something better for the price these lenses go for? Hopefully someone here owns both and wouldn't mind posting a side by side of the same subject shot with each lens.🤞

11-23-2019, 07:58 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database is widely considered an exceptional lens, and much preferred over the f/1.9 versions. The Auto Tak 85/1.8 is also a very nice portrait lens, but is a different optical formula from the Super-Multicoated-Takumar version. The K85/1.8 is the same optical formula and essentially the same lens as the S-M-C Takumar.
11-23-2019, 09:22 PM - 2 Likes   #3
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the prices of the f1.8/1.9 85’s are too much, consider the M85mm f2.0. Outstanding lens and it doesn’t command the premium prices the two prior 85’s get.
11-24-2019, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #4
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
If the prices of the f1.8/1.9 85’s are too much, consider the M85mm f2.0. Outstanding lens and it doesn’t command the premium prices the two prior 85’s get.
also in this vein, the Rokinon 85/1.4 is a stellar lens, and reasonably priced used....

11-24-2019, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
also in this vein, the Rokinon 85/1.4 is a stellar lens, and reasonably priced used....
+1. These samyang built lenses (most commonly branded Samyang, Rokinon, and Bower) are great performers and are cheap new and cheaper second hand.

They have good lens coatings too. Build is pretty good but nothing like the Takumars in this regard!
11-24-2019, 01:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of the worst, an older Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9. The others are sharper and more flare resistant. My lens is kind of worn out too:

I really like it for portraits where none of that really matters (sometimes flare does). If I want sharp, less flare, closer focus, more aperture blades or compact I have a 90mm macro or a DA70 in that range.
11-24-2019, 01:39 PM   #7
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I have one of the worst, an older Super-Takumar 85mm f1.9. The others are sharper and more flare resistant. My lens is kind of worn out too:

I really like it for portraits where none of that really matters (sometimes flare does). If I want sharp, less flare, closer focus, more aperture blades or compact I have a 90mm macro or a DA70 in that range.
Well used is better than a “moldy oldie”

11-24-2019, 01:53 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The 1.9 super tak it’s the only one I have.

But a Samyang 85/1.4 is a better lens
11-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Super-Multi-Coated Takumar/Auto-Takumar 85mm F1.8 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database is widely considered an exceptional lens, and much preferred over the f/1.9 versions. The Auto Tak 85/1.8 is also a very nice portrait lens, but is a different optical formula from the Super-Multicoated-Takumar version. The K85/1.8 is the same optical formula and essentially the same lens as the S-M-C Takumar.
I'll likely go with the first one you mentioned. Thank you for your suggestion. I just wish I could see the same subject shot with both lenses. I wonder which one has the best color rendition, CA, character, corner performance, and sharpness.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 07:33 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mlt Quote
I appreciate the suggestion. However I'm not sure what lens you are talking about. I have never heard of "M85mm" I looked it up and nothing came up.
11-24-2019, 07:42 PM - 1 Like   #10
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I'll likely go with the first one you mentioned. Thank you for your suggestion. I just wish I could see the same subject shot with both lenses. I wonder which one has the best color rendition, CA, character, corner performance, and sharpness.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 07:33 PM ----------

I appreciate the suggestion. However I'm not sure what lens you are talking about. I have never heard of "M85mm" I looked it up and nothing came up.
try 'SMC M 85mm f2'
11-24-2019, 07:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or just follow this link
SMC Pentax-M 85mm F2 Reviews - M Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
11-24-2019, 08:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm getting my first Samyang lens for landscape and astro. It's going to be the 12mm F2. I'm hoping it performs better than the Sigma 19mm F2.8 that I own. The 85mm F/1.4 does sound promising. However is the character better than the Takumar? Does it have a 3D pop or is it just flat and sharp like most modern portrait lenses?

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
+1. These samyang built lenses (most commonly branded Samyang, Rokinon, and Bower) are great performers and are cheap new and cheaper second hand.

They have good lens coatings too. Build is pretty good but nothing like the Takumars in this regard!
I'm actually surpised to hear these modern recommendations. Not that I am bias towards other brands. Just thought you guys were going to strictly recommend Pentax lenses.
11-24-2019, 08:13 PM - 2 Likes   #13
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Prince Harbinger Quote
I'm getting my first Samyang lens for landscape and astro. It's going to be the 12mm F2. I'm hoping it performs better than the Sigma 19mm F2.8 that I own. The 85mm F/1.4 does sound promising. However is the character better than the Takumar? Does it have a 3D pop or is it just flat and sharp like most modern portrait lenses?

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 08:09 PM ----------

I'm actually surpised to hear these modern recommendations. Not that I am bias towards other brands. Just thought you guys were going to strictly recommend Pentax lenses.

the Rokinon 85/1.4 has pop:

and the rest of my album for the 85/1.4:

Rokinon 85mm f1.4 AS IF UMC | Flickr

and you won't see any portraits here, because I don't shoot people...
11-24-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote

Why not use a lens hood to counter the flare? Maybe even add a UV breathrough photography filter too. I actually like that worn look. Body wear isn't really that important. Unless, you are a collector. As long as the optics are in good shape that's all that really counts. I have a 90mm macro too. I mainly use it for macro though. Finding someone with flawless skin is kind of hard.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 08:44 PM ----------

the Rokinon 85/1.4 has pop:

and the rest of my album for the 85/1.4:

Rokinon 85mm f1.4 AS IF UMC | Flickr

and you won't see any portraits here, because I don't shoot people...
Beautiful examples! Thank you for sharing these. I thought the bokeh would have been creamy at F/1.4. Wonder how many blades it has, and what shape the points of light would be rendered in. Curious also if the points of light would stay in a uniform shape, especially when stopping down.

---------- Post added 11-24-19 at 09:03 PM ----------

Just read some of the reviews and saw some of the samples. The bokeh is nice and creamy. The only thing that is a bit distracting for me is that the points of light are hexagonal in shape. I may consider that lens as my first 85. This is a tough choice. There's a lot of tempting 85's out there.
11-26-2019, 11:51 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the original hood for the 85/1.9 but it won't help with a bright light source in the frame. It also has six blades, not ideal. It limits some of the shots I can take.

The Rokinon/Samyang has 8 rounded blades, modern coatings and much closer focus, plus the KA mount. It is somewhat big. Some subjects are intimidated by monster front elements. The M85/2 wins there.