Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2019, 02:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

43mm limted.....worth it?

I'll be adding the three amigos to my kit eventually as finances allow....the one I'm having the hardest time convincing myself about is the 43mm......Already own a couple nifty fifties....

What's the point of the 43, really?

11-26-2019, 02:09 PM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The angle of view is more "normal" than 50/55mm on FF. I like it much better for a walk around lens.

Phil.
11-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely worth it. It’s part of the Golden Trio or the three Amigos.
31, 43,77
11-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If you see redundancy, sell the 50s and get the Limited... they don't say the Limited lenses have pixie dust for nothing

11-26-2019, 02:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I like the angle of view and it's a lovely lens. If you have 50mm lenses that suit you, no, it's not worth it. As with any other lens, don't expect to suddenly take better photos because of it, or at least I think so called pixie dust is a factor of the lens rendering what was in the light and subject already instead of somehow making things look better. But I'm not selling mine, ever
11-26-2019, 02:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was asking the same question myself but ended up getting the 43 (in addition to 31, 77 and various 50s I already had).

For me its absolutely worth it and the 43 became my go to lens. I think this is because:
1. On FF 43mm is a surprisingly versatile focal length. The extra 7mm wider over a 50mm makes a difference for me. I often take landscape shots with the 43mm that I otherwise would not have with 50 (would have changed to 35mm or 31mm).
2. Its compact. Very unobtrusive in use and is not "in your face" when taking portraits. Its small enough to always be in your bag. Yet f1.9 (which is usable wide open) is fast enough for most uses.
3. It has its own character and while not clinically perfect, I like the colour and OOF rendering.
11-26-2019, 03:11 PM - 1 Like   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

on which camera body?
11-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #8
Forum Member

Well you have to know that this very lens was made in a "special" version with Leica M mount. So in short, yes, it's that good!

11-26-2019, 04:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Depends on which 50s you have... it won't substitute the DFA*50 1.4... and I would make a case for preferring the 50 1.2 models (K or A)...
11-26-2019, 04:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Leumas Quote
You answered it in the very first part of your post!

I'll be adding the three amigos to my kit eventually
I am on APSC, and I was looking at 43 in the past. But I go with FA50 macro and now DA*55 instead, while I like both lenses a lot. But If I had 31 and 77, 43 would be a no-brainer. That is just me.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 11-26-2019 at 04:36 PM.
11-26-2019, 05:34 PM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I wonder how much reading the O P might want to do

the limiteds do they live up to the reputation and why - Page 23 - PentaxForums.com

or what photos the OP wants to look at

the Pentax 40mm and 43mm Lens Club - Page 9 - PentaxForums.com

The FA Limited Club - Page 706 - PentaxForums.com

By the way, the FA 43mm Limited was the first, followed by the FA 77mm limited and then the FA 31mm Limited

and since the OP appears to be from the US, the possibility of renting instead of buying in order to see what the 43mmm is like exists

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...ml#post4542890

and LensRental is running a special now

Last edited by aslyfox; 11-26-2019 at 05:42 PM.
11-26-2019, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

resident heretic here...

I asked earlier about the body you are looking to use the FA43 on.... because it may not be your best option...

I owned an FA43... and sold it because the DA40 Limited was better for the way I shoot on APS-C...

and the Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 SL II is even better...
11-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Aside from the obvious which is that it is one of the three amigos, it is very compact. I do have all three and the one I have used the most is the 77 closely followed by the 43. The one least used is the 31. The limited lenses are not just lenses they are works of art. All three amigos have serious CA issue wide open and even a few stops from wide open. They are noisy to auto focus (though not terribly so). Because all three have aperture rings, they are usable on any mirrorless system (with an adapter). Again, I have used the 43 and the 77 with a Sony 6000 and Fuji X-T30 for video work and they do a great job. At the end of the day, they are great lenses although a bit pricy. You can perhaps get an old SMC 50mm f2 or f1.7 and get similar results form them. You pay for the excellence, the myth, the mystic. I call my three amigos my Leicas which happen to have a Pentax badge on them!! If you have the funds get all three. They don't make them like this anymore and if they do they cost a bloody fortune.
11-26-2019, 07:36 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll be adding the three amigos to my kit eventually as finances allow....the one I'm having the hardest time convincing myself about is the 43mm......Already own a couple nifty fifties....

Many years ago I bought a Leica CL film camera that came with a 40mm lens. Always loved that vs the 50mm lenses I owned. A few weeks ago I purchased the 43mm. Now I have a favorite field of view back.

But, this lens is more than just focal length. More than all the technical terms and measurements normally associated with optics. A cookie cutter check list won't describe what's special about this or the other amigos.

The 43 has a look that nothing else has. Use one and you might find the 50's do the sitting.
Thanks,
barondla
11-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aaacb Quote
I like the angle of view and it's a lovely lens. If you have 50mm lenses that suit you, no, it's not worth it. As with any other lens, don't expect to suddenly take better photos because of it, or at least I think so called pixie dust is a factor of the lens rendering what was in the light and subject already instead of somehow making things look better. But I'm not selling mine, ever
Yeah I'm with aaacb here. If you like your 50mm's just fine then I don't really see the point. 50's are great and offer awesome cost/size/aperture combos that really can't be beat.

I like it better than my FA 50mm 1.4, but that's because I really needed wider while still remaining compact and wide open. So, it made some logical sense besides just "pixie dust." When a deal came up that meant I could resell if I didn't end up liking it and recoup my cost, I ended up going for it. I have been surprised how much I like it because I usually weigh cost heavily with performance, and this is significantly higher cost than the fa 50mm 1.4. But, like I said, the wider focal length was much appreciated while keeping the size and weight down.

I think in the long run I would like the 31mm even more, that's more of my focal length anyway, but it is really out of my price range. I could barely justify the 43mm for the killer deal I got. There's no way I can justify the 31mm for the price it goes for.

Because others are mentioning it, I am on full-frame.