Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Justifying the Unjustifiable

It's Christmas time, and I have an itch for a new FF lens, a desire - I readily admit - that is totally decoupled from any actual need. Indeed, I'm fortunate to own the three amigos, an A* 85/1.4, a DFA 100 macro, my wonderful DFA 28-105 and a DA* 300. Still, the itch is undeniable, so I decided to look at Pentax' current offerings, something I've not done for at least a couple of years. I discovered that Pentax now offers the DFA 15-30/2.8 zoom which seems very cool, but decades of experience have shown me that lenses wider than 28 mm (in FF terms) seldom find their way on my camera for some reason, and the size and weight of the of the DFA 15-30 (not to mention the cost) are off-putting, at least for me. There are a couple of telephotos in the catalog, but they're also big and heavy, and I've got the "big and heavy" category already covered with my 300.

Then it dawned on me, I have - after all these years since my last film SLR - a FF camera but lack a classic 50 mm lens; the focal length is, of course, covered with my 28-105 and my FA 43 comes pretty close, but - hey - it seems only fitting to have a 50 for my K-1. It's OK to succumb to mysticism on rare occasion as long as you recognize you're doing just that.

There appear to be three choices. Of those, I owned an FA 50/1.4 in the past and found it to be more-or-less useless until stopped down to f/2.8, and the new DFA 50/1.4 is overkill (for me) in size and price. So . . . . . I think I'll get a DFA 50/2.8 macro; it's reasonably fast, has a macro function and - best of all - it's cheap, a mystical combination if I ever saw one.

Jer

11-27-2019, 09:35 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
It's Christmas time, and I have an itch for a new FF lens, a desire - I readily admit - that is totally decoupled from any actual need. Indeed, I'm fortunate to own the three amigos, an A* 85/1.4, a DFA 100 macro, my wonderful DFA 28-105 and a DA* 300. Still, the itch is undeniable, so I decided to look at Pentax' current offerings, something I've not done for at least a couple of years. . . . I think I'll get a DFA 50/2.8 macro; it's reasonably fast, has a macro function and - best of all - it's cheap, a mystical combination if I ever saw one.

Jer
you have convinced me that is the best way for you to spend your money

[ in case that matters ]
11-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Justifying the Unjustifiable
Well then... Dinnae dae it.
11-27-2019, 09:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I don't own a K-1 so take this with a grain of salt, but the two lenses I would be most interested in (I think) would be either an F 50 1.7 because it's a really good optic in an inexpensive wrapper, or the DA*55 because it seems like a very good optic in a wrapper that costs a lot less and weighs a lot less than the D-FA*50. I have an F 50 1.7 for my crop camera and like the images I get from it quite a bit. And I think it cost me about $100 via the PF marketplace. I almost always love the images I see people getting with the DA*55 and it seems quite nice on the K-1.

The other 50 that interests me personally is the M 50 f4 Macro; there's something about a good Tessar that I really want to experience first hand, and I shoot a lot of film on manual bodies, so I understand if this is of no interest to you.

11-27-2019, 09:54 AM   #5
Pentaxian

If you ever feel the pull of M42 lenses, the old Zeiss Pancolar is a wonderful 50.
11-27-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Every scenario is justifiable. Just do what feels good.
11-27-2019, 10:37 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Sounds like you've convinced yourself. For me it's usually; step 1 - convince myself I need and can afford it then step 2 - convince (lie) to the wife that I need and can afford it

11-27-2019, 10:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The DFA 50/2.8 macro sounds good to me!
11-27-2019, 11:03 AM   #9
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The DFA 50/2.8 macro sounds good to me!
The DFA 50 macro is an outstanding lens. Purchased one for my K-5, kept using it with my K-3 and then on the K-1. Unfortunately, it took a header attached to the K-1, no damage to the K-1, but the focus mech got compressed and Ricoh decried it un-economical to repair. Replaced it with the 100mm D-FA macro when it was on sale since i have other 50’s. Would not hesitate on recommending buying the 50 macro if that was one of the choices.
11-27-2019, 12:00 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You could buy nothing. Hard, but possible.
11-27-2019, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It's Christmas time, and I have an itch for a new FF lens, a desire - I readily admit - that is totally decoupled from any actual need. Indeed, I'm fortunate to own the three amigos, an A* 85/1.4, a DFA 100 macro, my wonderful DFA 28-105 and a DA* 300. Still, the itch is undeniable, so I decided to look at Pentax' current offerings, something I've not done for at least a couple of years. I discovered that Pentax now offers the DFA 15-30/2.8 zoom which seems very cool, but decades of experience have shown me that lenses wider than 28 mm (in FF terms) seldom find their way on my camera for some reason, and the size and weight of the of the DFA 15-30 (not to mention the cost) are off-putting, at least for me. There are a couple of telephotos in the catalog, but they're also big and heavy, and I've got the "big and heavy" category already covered with my 300.

Then it dawned on me, I have - after all these years since my last film SLR - a FF camera but lack a classic 50 mm lens; the focal length is, of course, covered with my 28-105 and my FA 43 comes pretty close, but - hey - it seems only fitting to have a 50 for my K-1. It's OK to succumb to mysticism on rare occasion as long as you recognize you're doing just that.

There appear to be three choices. Of those, I owned an FA 50/1.4 in the past and found it to be more-or-less useless until stopped down to f/2.8, and the new DFA 50/1.4 is overkill (for me) in size and price. So . . . . . I think I'll get a DFA 50/2.8 macro; it's reasonably fast, has a macro function and - best of all - it's cheap, a mystical combination if I ever saw one.

Jer
I like your logic.

You have a great kit already. I'm still working my way up there after recently getting a K-1. Sounds like you already know that, but helps to remind yourself if you need some help with contentment. I need that. A lot.
11-27-2019, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My situation is not too dissimilar to you. I also have the 3 amigos (love them!) and they have kept me away from the LBA itch for some time. I also not keen on the FF professional grade zooms as I'm no pro and due to size / weight I just wouldn't t lug them around very often.
The FA 50 f1.4 is Ok and can live with the low contrast wide open but I'm just not that fussed by the bokeh wide open (which is odd as many seem to love it) and when I do use it I don't normally use it wider than f2 (where it looks a lot better to my eyes). Considered the DFA*50 which certainly looks wonderful performance wise but its just a bit on the big / heavy and expensive side for me (but maybe some day).
Fortunately the FA43 has become my go to lens and like that its wider than 50 as 43mm is versatile (also like the rendering).

Anyway, since I have a few FA primes (28, 31, 35, 50, 77, 100), I got interested in the FA 50 f2.8 macro which is pretty much the same as DFA 50 f2.8 macro (although the DFA has a more modern casing, is slightly smaller and probably has better coatings), as .the sharpness and macro capability in one lens appeals. The FA 50 f2.8 are still pretty cheap (unlike the FA20 which I would love but is rarer and fetching high prices these days), so I have ordered one from Japan - will certainly review it at some stage.

Let us know how you go!
11-27-2019, 01:13 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
You could buy nothing. Hard, but possible.
True, but then someone else might buy it who would not give it the love and attention it deserves.
11-27-2019, 01:15 PM   #14
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
True, but then someone else might buy it who would not give it the love and attention it deserves.

what a terrible thought

now I'm sure I will have a nightmare tonight

11-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It's Christmas time

Jer
You cannot go wrong with the DFA 50/2.8 Macro, it's a great little lens, and not only for macro, I like the way it renders in general.
I wish they would bring out a new HD version of it with WR and a silent focus motor. But even just a revamp as they have done with the 35/2.

Hope Santa brings you want you want for Christmas...... So long as you have been a good boy this year .