Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 50mm 1.8 and hood, the end of the story

A few weeks ago I asked for opinions on nifty 50s before I pulled the trigger, or depressed the shutter button, metaphorically. I was favoring the Pentax but I can be persuaded. In the end it was back to the Pentax and as predicted I am happy. The JJC LH-RA52 Rubber Collapsible Silicone Lens Hood was also recommended and I bought it and again it was good advice. HOWEVER. the hood is made for the 50 but has a quirk on the 18-55mm kit lens. At about 20mm it picks up the hood on the corners. No big deal as PP can deal with it if necessary. Anyone, see something I may be missing?

11-27-2019, 09:44 AM - 2 Likes   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
buy a hood for the 18-55?
11-27-2019, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The collapsable hoods I bought have 3 'stages' where you can collapse them to different lengths. Yours can't do that?
But @pepperberry farm; has the right idea.. you can buy the flower petal hood for super cheap on eBay
11-27-2019, 09:54 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The collapsable hoods I bought have 3 'stages' where you can collapse them to different lengths. Yours can't do that?
But @pepperberry farm; has the right idea.. you can buy the flower petal hood for super cheap on eBay
Yeah, OK I thought of that. I probably should have been more specific about whether the situation was odd in that the photographer was to blame. Wouldn't be the first time.

11-27-2019, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
The collapsable hoods I bought have 3 'stages' where you can collapse them to different lengths.
I bought one of these very inexpensively on e-bay for my Sigma 17-70mm. It works great.
11-27-2019, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
about whether the situation was odd in that the photographer was to blame. Wouldn't be the first time.
Nope, just hoods made for 50mm will show vignetting when used on lenses at wider focal lengths.. that's completely expected
11-27-2019, 10:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Just as an FYI for DA*55 owners, the hood from the 55-300 PLM works very well at stopping flare and is more sturdy than the original DA*55 hood.
And it locks in perfectly. My Actual hood cracked near the filter rotation window so I like this dual use thing.

11-27-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

First thing to consider is that the DA 50/1.8 does not have a hood that is "made for it". Generic hoods intended for "normal" focal lengths are intended for those lenses on 24x36mm FF. I use one intended for "tele" when shooting that lens on my K-3.

As for vignette at the wide end on your 18-55 kit lens, that is to be expected. The genuine Pentax tulip-style hood for that lens is not particularly expensive and may be worth getting. I have no experience with 3rd-party knockoffs.

Steve
11-27-2019, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
First thing to consider is that the DA 50/1.8 does not have a hood that is "made for it". Generic hoods intended for "normal" focal lengths are intended for those lenses on 24x36mm FF. I use one intended for "tele" when shooting that lens on my K-3.

As for vignette at the wide end on your 18-55 kit lens, that is to be expected. The genuine Pentax tulip-style hood for that lens is not particularly expensive and may be worth getting. I have no experience with 3rd-party knockoffs.

Steve
My statement about being made for it was from the Amazon title for the item, thinking it came from the manufacturer. I should know better than to accept that particular vendor's word for anything.
11-27-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have any bigger hoods and some step-down rings, you could try that.
02-15-2021, 05:51 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I post this on another 50mm 1.8 thread on here but I'll put it here also . I wanted the lens hood to be able to turn around backwards to keep it out of the way when not in use .Any squeeze grip hood that fits the 52mm threads will work just happen to have a sigma 52 mm size so I use it . On the squeeze grips there is a top side and a bottom side .On the top side you can see threads that grip onto the lens threads and on the opposite side of the grip there is no thread groves so you have to use a small round burr to cut a undercut in it so it will grab onto the lens cap slots your going to cut next . place the lens hood upside down on the lens cap and mark the area of where the grips are with a pencil and use the round burr to cut a opening in the cap on both sides so the grips can fit into the opening . Cut a small undercut in the slot also so it will lock into place. It only takes a few minutes to do . This will fit on any 52mm lens . Here are a few photos of what I did . , , , , , ,
02-15-2021, 11:28 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
A few weeks ago I asked for opinions on nifty 50s before I pulled the trigger, or depressed the shutter button, metaphorically. I was favoring the Pentax but I can be persuaded. In the end it was back to the Pentax and as predicted I am happy. The JJC LH-RA52 Rubber Collapsible Silicone Lens Hood was also recommended and I bought it and again it was good advice. HOWEVER. the hood is made for the 50 but has a quirk on the 18-55mm kit lens. At about 20mm it picks up the hood on the corners. No big deal as PP can deal with it if necessary. Anyone, see something I may be missing?
A hood that's claimed to be for a 50mm lens would be unlikely to work on an 18-55mm. The thread size being the same is purely coincidental. The 50mm not having a bayonet is somewhat of a design defect or at least shortcoming, but since the 18-55mm does, why not use the hood designed for it?